Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Problem Scanning with iPad

Have iOS-11 on my iPad and have attempted to scan using the Notes app, but the virtual keyboard that comes up is just the conventional keyboard. It doesn't have any way of turning the camera on. Any thoughts? I don't see anything on the internet addressing the problem.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Have iOS-11 on my iPad and have attempted to scan using the Notes app, but the virtual keyboard that comes up is just the conventional keyboard. It doesn't have any way of turning the camera on. Any thoughts? I don't see anything on the internet addressing the problem.

Jim
After you tap the + sign to add a new note, a menu pops up. Scan Document and Take Photo are two of the choices.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand the process, I think. The problem is the lack of any + sign when I open the Notes app.

Jim
Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand the process, I think. The problem is the lack of any + sign when I open the Notes app.

Jim
Sorry, my bad. Start a new note by tapping the “box with the pencil” icon at the upper right corner. Then you’ll have the + sign.

Adding...the Notes app isn’t that great IMO. It’s not very intuitive.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Strether
Guru

That’s all right, but it doesn’t make any difference. I get the conventional keyboard without the + on top. I should add that I have iOS 11 on my phone so I have a good idea what the keyboard should look like and the one that comes up on the iPad isn’t it. Faulty installation of the OS? If so, I wonder what else is wrong.

Jim
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard

The + sign isn’t on the keyboard. It’s in the app itself...

Start a new note, and at the bottom right you’ll see a check mark icon, the +, and a pencil tip icon.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Strether
Guru

I wish. When I start a new note, a regular keyboard comes up with none of the features you mention under it. But thank you for attempting to help.

Jim
Old 09-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard

Close/drop the keyboard and you’ll see the options.

The options are not part of the keyboard.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 09-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Strether
Guru

Closing the keyboard gives you nothing but clear space at the bottom.

Jim
Old 09-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard

Here are two screen grabs from my iPad Pro notes app.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63CE7EE5-D677-4DB7-A582-0603B98980AB.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	159236

Click image for larger version

Name:	01DAC90B-972F-4D0C-995E-783BECA4F2E8.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	159237
Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Strether
Guru

My #1 screen doesn't look like yours, nor, certainly, does the #2.

I have two email accounts, one that's used for personal mail and the other a gmail account. When I open Notes to look at the #1 screen, it shows two folders, one with one email account and another with the other. I can get a third iCloud account by turning on "On My iPad Account" in settings, though that's off by default.

Maybe the reason I get a conventional keyboard when I try to begin making a new note is because it's somehow linked with the two email accounts? And is there some setting somewhere that would remove those?

Jim
Old 09-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Strether
Guru

Well, Eureka! I went into Settings and under Accounts and Passwords, I could see that both of my email accounts were linked to Notes. If I turned those both off, and fiddled with it for a minute, I now get your #1 screen with its + at the bottom.

I'm much obliged to you for your time and patience, and especially for showing pictures of your screens which sent me in the right direction.

Jim
Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Well, Eureka! I went into Settings and under Accounts and Passwords, I could see that both of my email accounts were linked to Notes. If I turned those both off, and fiddled with it for a minute, I now get your #1 screen with its + at the bottom.

I'm much obliged to you for your time and patience, and especially for showing pictures of your screens which sent me in the right direction.

Jim
Yea! Glad you got it figured out, and glad to help!

I'm liking most of the ios 11 changes, but I haven't updated my 7+ yet. I have a solitaire app that won't run on 11 that I use all the time. But my mini and Pro are updated. There is really only one thing I don't like...accessing the screen brightness setting takes 3 touches, which seems clunky to me.