Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Cooking wine is vile stuff that's sold as a grocery and while it's already unpalatable, the addition of salt makes it unpotable.

In my state wine is a grocery anyway, so there's no need to sink to those depths.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Cooking wine is vile stuff that's sold as a grocery and while it's already unpalatable, the addition of salt makes it unpotable.
Ew. I don't think that's a thing here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

In my state wine is a grocery anyway, so there's no need to sink to those depths.
Yes, but if you need more than a sip of wine on a Sunday morning in Texas and are out of the good stuff, that is your only choice. Yes, our grocery stores sell wine too. One has a fabulous wine selection.
Full disclosure: I prefer not to be tempted by keeping drinking wine in the house.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #34
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Full disclosure: I prefer not to be tempted by keeping drinking wine in the house.
Try verjuice or balsamic vinegar if you're after a more acidic effect, or grape juice if a sweeter effect, or stock if you're just after a deeper flavour. Ginger ale is great in some oniony recipes where you might add beer, or in chilli type recipes.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Try verjuice or balsamic vinegar if you're after a more acidic effect, or grape juice if a sweeter effect, or stock if you're just after a deeper flavour. Ginger ale is great in some oniony recipes where you might add beer, or in chilli type recipes.
I would not have thought of grape juice. Yes I have balsamic vinegar.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like kittens.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like kittens.
Oops. I went off topic. Let me get back on topic...

I like Whole foods, I sometimes stop there for lunch. I don't do my normal shopping there. I don't by my cat food there. I like cats. I specially like kittens. Anyone else like kittens?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like Whole foods, I sometimes stop there for lunch. I don't do my normal shopping there. I don't by my cat food there. I like cats. I specially like kittens. Anyone else like kittens?
For lunch???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #39
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For lunch???
No...dessert, silly!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
When I cook with wine I use a wine that tastes good to me. If I do not like the taste of a wine I am drinking, why would I enjoy it cooked into my food?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Last week we cooked Spaghetti al Vino Bianco. The spaghetti is cooked in water for 4 minutes and then finished off risotto style with white wine. The flavor of the wine really shines in this recipe and has to taste good.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
No...dessert, silly!

Shari
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #43
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Ew. I don't think that's a thing here.
Hard to add wine on a barbie

Cooking wine in the UK runs the full range from bad wine to bad sherry, easier to just use wine you drink so you know what the taste will be.

BTW Whats wrong with Rice Wine, Sake can be drunk just fine.

Last edited by MikeB1972; 06-22-2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: type
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #44
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Hard to add wine on a barbie
Clearly you're not trying hard enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
BTW Whats wrong with Rice Wine, Sake can be drunk just fine.
In the cooking-ingredient context I was referring to Chinese (one being Shaoxing) rice wine, which is very different from sake. Or mirin, which is similar to sake, but still not the same (sweeter - I wouldn't drink it). And neither of them is really "wine" as such (at least, not in my dialect), not being made from grapes or similar berries.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 AM   #45
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
In the cooking-ingredient context I was referring to Chinese (one being Shaoxing) rice wine, which is very different from sake. Or mirin, which is similar to sake, but still not the same (sweeter - I wouldn't drink it). And neither of them is really "wine" as such (at least, not in my dialect), not being made from grapes or similar berries.
I thought Shaoxing was traditionally drunk before the meal, never tried mirin.

You don't need grapes, in the UK we make wine the way the french make food - if it can't get out of the bucket, it's fair game.

Dandelion, Nettle & Elderberry are popular homebrews, a mate of mine used to make Rhubarb wine, well, Rhubarb paint stripper.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote