Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 11 introduced

iOS 11 looks like it has some interesting new tricks, but I'm not sure if those are reserved only for the two newest iPad Pros or whether they will work on older devices too. I really like the new app bar at the bottom that allows way more app icons than the current six we now have. I hope most of the new features work on my current iPad and iPhone 7, but you know Apple likes to make you buy new toys to get all the new features.

iOS 11 web page

Last edited by jswinden; 06-05-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Looks like most products will get the 11.0 release but as you say, some features might be limited. They went out of their way to distinguish iPad from iPhone in this release.

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some of those things look very interesting indeed. I like the way they're making the bigger iPads into "real" computers by adding better multitasking support in particular.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes I agree Harry and Dale. They spent a lot of the time talking about iOS 11 and the iPad Pros, especially the newest models. I think this is the first iOS update in years to actually get my attention, assuming a lot of the new features work on my current devices. Usually I greet the new iOS version with a yawn, but this one got my attention.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
After reading the webpage, I am really excited about iOS 11 (and happy all my devices will be getting it in some form). I'm especially looking forward to the file manager and the customizable Control Center. Those were the things I missed most when I switched from Android.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Cloudmaker
Cloudmaker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Has anyone tried iBooks in iOS11? Any significant changes, if at all?
Cloudmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
There's a major problem with iBooks in iOS11 that Apple could very easily rectify. The problem is that it's still there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
iBooks is an app; its development is entirely separate from that of the o/s.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
iBooks is an app; its development is entirely separate from that of the o/s.
But there's no way to get rid of it to free up space.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there's no way to get rid of it to free up space.
Are you sure? my iPhone 6 appears to be happy to allow me to delete it (although I've not done so).
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? my iPhone 6 appears to be happy to allow me to delete it (although I've not done so).
You aren't deleting the app. All you are deleting is the icon. This is how it works for the apps that comes with iOS.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, OK. Thanks - I wasn't aware of that. I can't say I'm going to lose any sleep over it; I doubt that I use as many as a quarter of the apps that come with the system. I just stick the ones I don't use into an "Unused" folder and ignore them.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Generally speaking, the apps that are not part of the operating system(i.e. music) aren't part of the beta, so they don't change. I don't see any changes.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You aren't deleting the app. All you are deleting is the icon. This is how it works for the apps that comes with iOS.
That's actually not true. There are certain apps you can't delete, such as feedback and health, but those apps are not select-able when you go to delete the app. If you can select the app for deletion, then it's deleted. The on screen icon is part of the app, it's not a separate thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's actually not true. There are certain apps you can't delete, such as feedback and health, but those apps are not select-able when you go to delete the app. If you can select the app for deletion, then it's deleted. The on screen icon is part of the app, it's not a separate thing.
Thanks for clarifying that. If you were to delete one of the pre-installed apps like iBooks, could you simply reinstall it from the App Store, as you would any other app?