Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #1
betelguese
Enthusiast
betelguese began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best book app for iPad Pro?

I use the native Book app in my iPad Pro 12.9 for library/book reading, mainly textbooks in pdf/epub format. Is this the best app for this purpose or is there a 3rd party app that is better?
betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:16 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
I use the native Book app in my iPad Pro 12.9 for library/book reading, mainly textbooks in pdf/epub format. Is this the best app for this purpose or is there a 3rd party app that is better?
For PDF textbooks, GoodReader is the best app for the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
betelguese
Enthusiast

Thanks, I heard about that one but unfortunately does not support Epub or formats other than PDF. I'm looking for an app compatible with all formats and that also works as a library/database
Old 07-28-2023, 06:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
Thanks, I heard about that one but unfortunately does not support Epub or formats other than PDF. I'm looking for an app compatible with all formats and that also works as a library/database
You are best to get GoodReader for PDF and give BookFusion a try for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:56 AM   #5
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are best to get GoodReader for PDF and give BookFusion a try for ePub.
I checked BookFusion in the App Store and the description says "Integrated Reader - Read all your EPUB, PDF, & CBZ/CBR eBooks both online and offline with clean and intuitive interface .".
So isnt's BookFusion enough for PDF&EPUB? Why do you suggest GoodReader separately for PDF? Is there something wrong in the way BookFusion handles PDF's? Thanks

Last edited by betelguese; 07-29-2023 at 06:08 AM.
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 06:41 AM   #6
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
It depends on your needs, but I wouldn’t recommend BookFusion for either PDF or ePub.
BookFusion wants to be a jack-of-all-trades, but can't do anything right.
For PDF I also recommend GoodReader and for ePub MapleRead.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 10:49 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I thought Mapleread was discontinued?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
To me they are all the same. I read kobo on kobo app, kindle on kindle app... etc
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #9
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I thought Mapleread was discontinued?
No, Marvin was
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:30 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
No, Marvin was
Thanks, my bad.

Are Lithium, Pocketbook or Bluefire on iOS?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:46 AM   #11
whink
Connoisseur
whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If it's only about reading, I would say yes, the native book app is good for that. If you want to take notes, make comments or highlight and later export your annotations, I would prefer other apps. I am using Yomu for that.

Last edited by whink; 07-30-2023 at 04:49 AM.
whink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whink View Post
If it's only about reading, I would say yes, the native book app is good for that. If you want to take notes, make comments or highlight and later export your annotations, I would prefer other apps. I am using Yomu for that.
I like Yomu, but I can't find update zones where you can change touch so that touch on the left to go forward. If it had that I might give up Marvin.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Are Lithium, Pocketbook or Bluefire on iOS?
Pocketbook and Bluefire are. Bluefire used to be free but it’s not any more. Pocketbook has in app purchases.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How about just using ibooks and buy your ebooks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 05:11 AM   #15
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have a few text books in PDF that I refer to on an iPad pro. I just use iBooks. Works fine.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote