Notices

View Poll Results: Mobi or epub
Mobi 52 26.00%
Epub 148 74.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I presume the question refers to the formats, not the DRM commonly associated with them.

For obvious reasons I don't use epub, but honestly it does sound better. I like the bit of style that dropcaps and embedded fonts add to some novels (like handwritten letters), and some classic novels have cool illustrations that, so far as I hear, epub handles more gracefully.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Beerman
Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.

Device: Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I presume the question refers to the formats, not the DRM commonly associated with them.
Yes, I was curious about the formats only.
I appreciate all the discussion on the subject.
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
PaulineDesigns
Connoisseur
PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, HS M700, Axim w/uBook
I have an Aluratek Libre Pro and it supports both. On it I'd take mobi over epub because the progress also shows up in percentage instead of just page numbers with mobi and also because mobi ebooks don't have the page numbers show up over the text on the right margin of the screen. Most of the time I convert everything to fb2 because it works great on both my and my Hip Street ereader or to rtf when I want to use my PDA with ubook.
PaulineDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Mobi. I've got a kindle and a Sony. I prefer the look of mobi on the kindle. Plus there is no messing about with ADE.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I voted mobi, but it's by a very slight margin.

mobi/azw files are actually better for many things because of their lack of features. If all you want to do is read text with bold, italics, etc. mobi works very well and has few bad habits.

epub has more features, but it also has more features for the file creator to screw up. And they do. With great regularity, in my experience.

I still prefer MS Reader in a lot of ways. I think it was the overall best designed reading software to date. MS screwed up big there by trying to be anal.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I chose MOBI because that's what I know.
Me too Nyssa. I've always been more familiar with Mobi format so though epub is more common place (or so I understand) I chose Mobi.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
Danielle
Enthusiast
Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.

Device: sony 950, eReader from eBookwise.com (sold)
ePub -- I can this format on more than one ereader!
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I honestly couldn't care less personally. Both deliver an adequate reading experience for the books I read, which are generally genre fiction or PD classics.

ePub is a better format in theory if not in practice. I don't know about you guys, but I own hundreds of books in both formats and almost 100% of the time they basically look the same. I've hardly ever seen a commercial book take advantage of the things ePub can actually do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #24
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I have always preferred other formats to epub. Even though the epub format has become the default semi-universal format it has always bothered me that a page turn does not usually equate to a page number. i.e. if you are on what is listed as page 101 and hit the page turn button, with an epub formatted ebook, you may still be on page 101. With epub it can take 2 or 3 page turns to move on to a new page. With mobi or lrf I always knew that a 600 page ebook would take 600 page turns to get from "cover to cover" but that same ebook in the epub format might be listed as a 340 page book...which ACTUALLY takes 600 page turns to complete. It may seem like a minor complaint, but it is enough of an annoyance for me to completely avoid epub whenever possible.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Epub. Easier to bit twiddle - I use as hex editor (HexEdit 3.0 - recommended) to do global repair edits for the exploded epub files.

But most important, better compression! I am one of those who keeps a library in his reader. A typical epub is half the size of the same mobi title.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #26
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I miss .lit reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I voted mobi, but it's by a very slight margin.

mobi/azw files are actually better for many things because of their lack of features. If all you want to do is read text with bold, italics, etc. mobi works very well and has few bad habits.

epub has more features, but it also has more features for the file creator to screw up. And they do. With great regularity, in my experience.

I still prefer MS Reader in a lot of ways. I think it was the overall best designed reading software to date. MS screwed up big there by trying to be anal.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
+1
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #27
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I prefer ePub because it's what everyone but Amazon uses. Also because it's an open format based on xhtml.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I prefer mobi for the one feature that is a priority for me (and I recognise the notorious subjectivity of this priority): user-selectable, purchasable dictionaries for dictionary-lookup (I know this is not any meaningful priority for some, if not many, but the poll is about personal preference, and it's a priority for me).

Of course, if epub have brought this into their standard now, my preference will be made moot (I'm often inattentive to technical developments when the technology I have is satisfying my needs). Aside from that dictionary feature, my preference would me mild-to-non-existent, likely tending toward's epub's capabilities and future development of the standard but pared down by Calibre's easy "swiss-army-knife" conversions.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #29
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I prefer MOBI.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I can use user-selected dictionaries with ePub, at least with my reader software (FBReader).
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote