Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #26506
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Started and dropped Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife. I spent all of The Golden Compass not really caring, and that continued to the second volume, so off it went.
I'm sorry to hear that; I think it's a wonderful series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #26507
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I thought The Subtle Knife was far and away the best of the series.

I'm two thirds of the way through Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, which is probably still about a week from the end. Honestly, I'm not enjoying it as much as his Night's Dawn series, although it is less silly. I guess it's also less fun. It's still readable enough, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #26508
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished Vallista by Stephen Brust and enjoyed it. It is number 15 on the Vlad Taltos series. Now I am starting Bernard Cornwell's Fools and Mortals. I picked this one up on a virtual trip to Amazon UK. It is list as preorder from the US for $14.99 with a release date of January 9, 2018. Amazon UK released it October 19, 2017 and converting the Pound to dollars equals about $10.52. This saves me $4.47.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #26509
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Wow, I haven't read Stephen Brust in decades...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #26510
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. One I enjoyed very much, and now have the first of the new series on my Kindle, but not yet started. (Must finish current book!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #26511
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson.

Now starting Provenance by Anne Leckie. Not a continuation of her Imperial Radch trilogy, but set in the same universe.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #26512
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson.

Now starting Provenance by Anne Leckie. Not a continuation of her Imperial Radch trilogy, but set in the same universe.
Beyond the Body Farm is on my TBR list. What is your opinion of the book. Is it worth reading?
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #26513
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Beyond the Body Farm is on my TBR list. What is your opinion of the book. Is it worth reading?
I found it very fascinating, though my knowledge of forensics is slightly more than that of the average CSI watcher, there were some new things for me therein.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #26514
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I found it very fascinating, though my knowledge of forensics is slightly more than that of the average CSI watcher, there were some new things for me therein.
I do not watch CSI or any crime shows. I live about 2-3 hours from there and thought the book would be interesting.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #26515
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes. One I enjoyed very much, and now have the first of the new series on my Kindle, but not yet started. (Must finish current book!)
I'm not sure what happened. I just really did not like Lyra from the outset, and she didn't do enough to win me over. I also felt when I started The Subtle Knife that Lyra had reverted to more of a brat (not wanting to wash dishes because "servants do that." Irritating female characters, no matter the age, turn me off faster than any other problem in literature.

The audio performance was, however, excellent in terms of cast and quality.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #26516
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just finished Margaret Drabble’s Jerusalem the Golden. Now reading the extended version of Stephen King’s the Stand. The last Stephen King book I read was the Shining which I read over the course of a day or two in the summer of 1980.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #26517
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm not sure what happened. I just really did not like Lyra from the outset, and she didn't do enough to win me over. I also felt when I started The Subtle Knife that Lyra had reverted to more of a brat (not wanting to wash dishes because "servants do that." Irritating female characters, no matter the age, turn me off faster than any other problem in literature.

The audio performance was, however, excellent in terms of cast and quality.
Not every book is for every one. I found Lyra ultimately compelling, though occasionally having the annoying qualities of any child her age.

Currently reading (and WhisperSyncing) The Hidden Masters of Marandur by Jack Campbell. The second in a fantasy trilogy that is turning out to be surprisingly compelling. I didn't expect much and was feeling guilty for buying the first book, frankly, but I've ended up enjoying it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #26518
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm currently enjoying the Broken Earth trilogy by Jemisin (now in book 2, The Obelisk Gate).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obelisk_Gate

It's quite fascinating. I see the series gets some flak because of depicting sexual 'minority' (LGBT) groups and racial discrimination in a quite obvious way, but there's enough other content in the books that this doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Dryhte; 10-23-2017 at 03:33 AM. Reason: linked to wikipedia entry
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #26519
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Finished up Lavie Tidhar's Central Station last night. I found it a little disjointed, which made sense when I saw that he had published all the chapters as shorts at some point.

Doing a lot of work around the house and packing more boxes today, so I am re-listening to the audiobook of The Hobbit. This is the version that was recorded on LP Vinyl by Nicol Williamson in 1974. You can find the audio on archive.org.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #26520
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Next up The Girl who Takes and an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz which is a follow on to the Lisbeth Salander novels.
Just finished this and didn’t care for it much. Rather than focus on Lisbeth like the original novels, this focused on numerous protagonists. It went on and on with numerous characters and was hard to follow. I got the impression the author had written the novel then decided to change the character he’d created to Lisbeth.

Give it about three stars.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote