Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 AM   #1
llihp
llihp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle stuck on startup screen (de bricking?)

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been answered a hundred times before, I've tried reading through the guides etc... but still completely stuck.

My Kindle 4 is frozen on the boot screen (boy under tree) and not displaying any progress bar. I've tried the following:

1) "Hard reset", this just causes the device screen to flicker white and then back to the same screen.
2) Replaced the battery (thinking the battery might have run flat and cound't be charged)

I tried the Kubrick live iso, this seems to work initially. I can connect to the device (holding power and then down on the keypad etc...), but Kubrick sticks at the "Flashing" phase and never finishes.

I've tried using the "select boot" thing (following the guide here), but I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it correctly as the device shows up in the MFGTool as "MX5 Kindle", but will have another go at this later.

Any help appreciated!
llihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Have you charged in on a wall charger since doing all of that?
If no, then charge for at least 24 hours.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
llihp

I hadn't, but will do.

I did leave it on charge overnight yesterday, but the yellow light had gone out when i got up this morning so assumed it had finished.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by llihp View Post
I hadn't, but will do.

I did leave it on charge overnight yesterday, but the yellow light had gone out when i got up this morning so assumed it had finished.
ignore the light
It is in part, firmware controlled and your firmware is not running properly.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
llihp

What's the best thing to try first?

I tried the setting to diagnostics mode using mfgtool previously, but this just rebooted the device and showed me a distorted screen.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What's the best thing to try first?

I tried the setting to diagnostics mode using mfgtool previously, but this just rebooted the device and showed me a distorted screen.
Use the Kubrick wizard.
It runs the same tool(s) with a very much reduced chance of human error.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Note: they really do mean a WALL charger, as somehow a charger connected to your computer isn't the same. Do 24+ hours on a wall charger.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
llihp

Done 24 hours on wall charger, but hasn't made any difference with Kubrick.

I can get to the stage of flashing the diags system, but it does no further and just stays at the flashing stage (says should only take 30 seconds)
Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Done 24 hours on wall charger, but hasn't made any difference with Kubrick.

I can get to the stage of flashing the diags system, but it does no further and just stays at the flashing stage (says should only take 30 seconds)
It is now spare parts.
Everything except the eMMC part on the motherboard, which is dead.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
llihp

Damn

I'd love to know what happened to it. It's my father's and he maintains he has not used it for a month or so and it just wouldn't boot once he recharged it.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Damn

I'd love to know what happened to it. It's my father's and he maintains he has not used it for a month or so and it just wouldn't boot once he recharged it.
Is that his normal pattern of usage?
To let it completely discharge during long periods of non-use.

There is a chance that it is only a bad battery.
You could try putting a new battery in it, but . . . .
The K4 is the model that is glued together and the battery is glued to the backside of the screen.

It is difficult to get it open, and difficult to get the battery out without damage.
Lots of time and effort to spend (and the cost of the replacement battery) without much hope of fixing it.

A more reasonable course of action -
Put it up for sale as "used, for parts only - good screen" (K4 devices often have screens go bad).
Get him a new "Kindle Basic" next time they go on sale.
(Next month, on "Black Friday" at the latest, maybe sooner)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #12
llihp

I replaced the battery, thinking that was the problem (the glue on the battery was a complete pain), but the device is still behaving exactly the same way so I think you're correct in saying the eMMC is shot.

He used the device infrequently, but I'm not totally sure how often he allowed it to completely discharge.

To be fair to him, he was already resigned to buying a new one, but I hoped i'd be able to fix it.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Wasn't all of that glue fun?
It is probably why so many of the K4 screens developed a crack across the 2/3 point of the screen as the glue and the battery aged.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #14
llihp

Lol, yeah. I spent 15 minutes with a hair dryer blowing full black on the back of the Kindle just to soften the glue enough to be able to lift the case enough to slide a knife in so i could cut through it to get the case off.

Then I find they've glue the battery in place the other side as well!

Still, at least I tried. I hate chucking stuff away if there's a chance of fixing relatively cheaply.

Bizarrely, i tried turning it on again this morning and it's showing the battery empty screen again. Can't think i bought a faulty replacement battery though.

Last edited by llihp; 10-14-2017 at 06:01 AM.