Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
I have also compiled standalone exe file ExtractCoverThumbnails.exe. The exe require no other dependencies.

Code:
ExtractCoverThumbnails.exe [-h] kindle_directory

positional arguments:
  kindle_directory  directory where a Kindle Paperwhite is mounted

optional arguments:
  -h, --help        show this help message and exit
The file is available for download from this location: http://goo.gl/oxSEVH

Source code of the tool is available on github: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs
I'm gonna try this today, this KF8 cover problem has bugged me for ages
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #17
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have also compiled standalone exe file ExtractCoverThumbnails.exe. The exe require no other dependencies.

Code:
ExtractCoverThumbnails.exe [-h] kindle_directory

positional arguments:
  kindle_directory  directory where a Kindle Paperwhite is mounted

optional arguments:
  -h, --help        show this help message and exit
The file is available for download from this location: http://goo.gl/oxSEVH

Source code of the tool is available on github: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs
Ok, I tried this, using the .exe, and it run across my Kindle (300+ books) and it ended with the following output:

However it hasn't worked - there's a "both" mobi/KF8I deliberately put on my Kindle today to test that didn't show with a cover, and it still doesn't show a cover after running the above
Old 05-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #18
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
The tool extracts cover from AZW3 and mobi and saves it to tour Kindle. Thats all. So if your book does not have properly set up cover (use Kindle Previewer to check it) the tool will do nothing.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
gers1978
Addict

I've got it working on the 1 book as a test - I removed all books except that 1 from my Kindle, and ran it, worked fine.

Not sure what the error above was, but it stopped it from working.

If I wanted to run it in Terminal on my Mac, how would I set the variables you mention?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I've got it working on the 1 book as a test - I removed all books except that 1 from my Kindle, and ran it, worked fine.

Not sure what the error above was, but it stopped it from working.
Sometimes with huge book list program crashes yourself for unknown reason. I suspect that there is IO bottleneck (Kindle memory is slow). In such cases you should simply rerun app and it should start from a point just before crash and should works fine.

Quote:
If I wanted to run it in Terminal on my Mac, how would I set the variables you mention?
On Mac you should download source file from: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ive/master.zip
1) Unpack it. For example to Download directory:
Code:
~/Download/ExtractCoverThumbs-master
2) In Terminal type:
Code:
python ~/Downloads/ExtractCoverThumbs-master/ExtractCoverThumbs.py /Volumes/Kindle
Your Kindle after connecting USB always is mounted to /Volumes/Kindle directory
Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Ok, I tried this, using the .exe, and it run across my Kindle (300+ books) and it ended with the following output
The problem is in your filename (you use RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...2019/index.htm). In source tree I fixed the problem quickly and dirty: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ce7c57e1e372be but the exe file is not yet updated.

Last edited by quiris; 05-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
The problem is in your filename (you use RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...2019/index.htm). In source tree I fixed the problem quickly and dirty: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ce7c57e1e372be but the exe file is not yet updated.
Great, I'll wait for the updated .exe, thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #23
gers1978
Addict

Couple more questions:

1) Does it have to point to a mounted Kindle? Or will a "documents" folder full of .azw files on a hard drive work?

2) Would it be possible to turn this into a Calibre plugin?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #24
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Great, I'll wait for the updated .exe, thanks
Published: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/releases (green button: ExtractCoverThumbs_0.1-win.zip)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #25
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
1) Does it have to point to a mounted Kindle?
No.
Quote:
Or will a "documents" folder full of .azw files on a hard drive work?
You can process files on your hard drive, but you should recreate following directory tree:

Code:
Kindle  –
         |
          – documents
         |
          – system –
                    |
                     – thumbnails
So if above Kindle dir is on C:\ fire: ExtractCoverThumbs.exe c:\Kindle

Last edited by quiris; 05-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #26
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
2) Would it be possible to turn this into a Calibre plugin?
I do not have plan to turn it into calibre plugin.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #27
gers1978
Addict

This is brilliant, thanks.

Would the Calibre plugin be possible?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #28
gers1978
Addict

Ok, this works great, thanks.

Why does Amazon not fix whatever problem it is that you're solving with this?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Why does Amazon not fix whatever problem it is that you're solving with this?
I think you should ask Amazon why they are didn't fix this really stupid and easy to fix bug
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #30
quiris
Groupie

Completely redesigned version 0.2 are published: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/releases

Highlights:
1) It extracts only cover from a book file (entire process is quicker)
2) It adapts cover thumbnail to avoid Personal tag overlapping thumbnail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_BO37CICBJAAXCCF2D2JH35FBDPJ6FU7S_PDOC_portrait.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	122951