Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Xtro
Banned
Xtro began at the beginning.

Device: ...
"Open" e-book readers?

Any "open" e-book readers without forced account system or similar? I just want to be able to buy the reader, unbox it and sideload books without the need to register an account or use the manufacturers proprietary software.
Xtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Most of them that I'm aware of.

The Kindle doesn't force you to create an account. The only features you lose are the ability to create collections, shop their store, and set the date (which is pointless anyhow) [you can set the time]. Hacked with duokan it can work with epub files.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is arguably the best reader on the market in terms of value for money. It would seem strange to reject it merely because of the benefits that accrue from registering it from Amazon. As the previous poster said, you don't have to buy anything from Amazon (although again, given that they have the best bookstore, why not do so?)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle is arguably the best reader on the market in terms of value for money.
This is a little bit inconsistent as you normally praise the Kindle especially for its eco system, the shop, the ease of buying and so on. But these are all features that Xtro is not interested in.

Xtro, welcome to MobileRead!
Don't make too much of a problem of it. Current readers are all great and they all allow you to use them "independently", even the Kindle. Maybe you have more "restrictions" like price or availability in your country...
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In this case I'm saying that the Kindle should be considered because Amazon sell it essentially at cost price (in the expectation of making money from subsequent book sales). Hence you're getting more for your money than from companies who don't sell content, and hence have to make their profit on the device itself.

But all the mainstream devices on the market are good, and I'm sure the OP would be happy with any of them. They all allow you to load your own content.
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ebook readers that allow the most options in regard to formats used, fonts, customization are Pocketbook 622 and Onyx Boox i62HD and Bookeen Odyssee. Like the Kindle they all have a dedicated subforum here where you can get further information.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtro View Post
I just want to be able to buy the reader, unbox it and sideload books without the need to register an account or use the manufacturers proprietary software.
Hello Xtro,

Do you mean that you don't want to create an ADE account (if you're reading epub files)?
In that case, pretty much all of them can do that, but youre experience will be somewhat different from a registered user.
Actually, my reader was never registered (I couldn't, long story). Since there's no WIFI on it, I need a computer to load the ebooks, but they need to be DRM free (or DRM freed, your choice ). Gutenberg, indie publishers and the likes are the way to go

Good luck in your search.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
The ebook readers that allow the most options in regard to formats used, fonts, customization are Pocketbook 622 and Onyx Boox i62HD and Bookeen Odyssee. Like the Kindle they all have a dedicated subforum here where you can get further information.
I agree - all excellent devices. Their only downside is that because they aren't subsidised by being associated with a bookseller, they are somewhat more expensive than the heavily subsidised devices from Amazon, B&N, and Kobo. I owned devices from all of Pocketbook, Onyx, and Bookeen in the past and been very pleased with them.

I would add that the ability to read many different file formats is overrated. Using Calibre, it's very easy to convert between ePub and Amazon's formats (those are the only ones that matter, from a practical point of view), and the conversion both ways is seamless. So you can buy a Pocketbook and still buy books from Amazon, or buy a Kindle then buy books from Kobo. The choice of bookseller really shouldn't constrain the choice of device.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-04-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I would add that the ability to read many different file formats is overrated. Using Calibre, it's very easy to convert between ePub and Amazon's formats (those are the only ones that matter, from a practical point of view), and the conversion both ways is seamless. So you can buy a Pocketbook and still buy books from Amazon, or buy a Kindle then buy books from Kobo. The choice of bookseller really shouldn't constrain the choice of device.
I agree with you here, unless they're reading Russian books, in which case native support for fb2 could be very helpful to avoid having to convert every single book.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I agree - all excellent devices. Their only downside is that because they aren't subsidised by being associated with a bookseller, they are somewhat more expensive than the heavily subsidised devices from Amazon, B&N, and Kobo. I owned devices from all of Pocketbook, Onyx, and Bookeen in the past and been very pleased with them.
There is an exception for the pocketbooks sold in Italy, as they are linked to the IBS (internet bookshop) store, which sells them highly discounted - and then you are free to install the standard pocketbook firmware if you don't want to be stuck to an Italian bookshop. The Basic at €75 compares ok with Kindle at €79, and the - only thing, if you don't go through Italy, probably delivery costs make it nor worth it! In my case, I wish I had know earlier, it would have saved me quite a sum
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
There is an exception for the pocketbooks sold in Italy, as they are linked to the IBS (internet bookshop) store, which sells them highly discounted - and then you are free to install the standard pocketbook firmware if you don't want to be stuck to an Italian bookshop. The Basic at €75 compares ok with Kindle at €79, and the - only thing, if you don't go through Italy, probably delivery costs make it nor worth it! In my case, I wish I had know earlier, it would have saved me quite a sum
I don't think that this is a highly discounted price as PocketBook itself sells the basic version (Pocketbook Basic 613) for 79 Euros in Germany. It really is a basic reader, for instance it lacks the wlan and the touchscreen of the Pocketbook 622.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtro View Post
Any "open" e-book readers without forced account system or similar? I just want to be able to buy the reader, unbox it and sideload books without the need to register an account or use the manufacturers proprietary software.
I would say that a Kindle is not the best choice for what you want. The best choice is a reader that handles ePub. ePub (without DRM) is an open format.

My suggestion is a Sony Reader PRS-T2. It's a lot more open then a Kindle. As you can see from another post that when you don't register a Kindle, you do lose access to some of the features.

I have a Sony Reader PRS-650 and it has never once been registered to handle eBooks with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I don't think that this is a highly discounted price as PocketBook itself sells the basic version (Pocketbook Basic 613) for 79 Euros in Germany. It really is a basic reader, for instance it lacks the wlan and the touchscreen of the Pocketbook 622.
ah, then it is much worse than the kindle - the PB912 is about €20 cheaper and the Touch €10 - with no delivery charges in Italy. But again, no much room for arbitrage, makes sense only if you happen to be in Italy!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I agree about the sony T2. Not only have I never registered it, ever, but I've never used the wifi, and have sideloaded my current collection on it. All of the bookreading/sorting features work perfectly, registered or unregistered.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Sony is a good reader, but it's very much "last generation" technology being sold at a premium price. Sony have failed to come out with a reader to compete with the front-lit solutions now offered by almost all their rivals.