Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe they do. Amazon claim that the PW's screen has a 25% contrast improvement over a standard Pearl screen.
But is that with the light on or off? Since they reference a "brilliant white background" when talking about the 25% I'd think it's with the light on. I haven't gotten my PW yet (it should arrive shortly), but in photos I've seen side by side with older eInk devices the screen with the light off looks the same as regular Pearl.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe they do. Amazon claim that the PW's screen has a 25% contrast improvement over a standard Pearl screen.
Yes but both are using the new hd ink screen. So they should both be better than standard pearl screen. As usual I suspect the pr people are kept busy
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Yes but both are using the new hd ink screen. So they should both be better than standard pearl screen. As usual I suspect the pr people are kept busy
If that's the case then yes, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, got my PW and even with the light off the contrast is definately better than on my Kindle Touch.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, got my PW and even with the light off the contrast is definately better than on my Kindle Touch.
That's great news. How do you like the light? Does the bleed that some have referred to trouble you? I generally like my Touch, except for the light.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
That's great news. How do you like the light? Does the bleed that some have referred to trouble you? I generally like my Touch, except for the light.
I posted some quick impressions (after 5 min use) in the user review thread, but in general I like it so far (haven't actually spent time reading though). I can see myself ending up leaving the light on all the time. The light bleed or shadows at the bottom of the screen are very faint and I'm not sure I'll even notice them while reading. Right now I'm in a very bright room, so we'll see what it's like in a lower light setting.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #37
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I posted some quick impressions (after 5 min use) in the user review thread, but in general I like it so far (haven't actually spent time reading though). I can see myself ending up leaving the light on all the time. The light bleed or shadows at the bottom of the screen are very faint and I'm not sure I'll even notice them while reading. Right now I'm in a very bright room, so we'll see what it's like in a lower light setting.
I agree with your take. After viewing examples of pictures that some that have posted I believe they have defective units. So far, the more I play with it, the more I like it. I find that if I don't look for the shadows I don't notice them. Once you view the page with the light on you won't want to go back - even in daylight. For me the big test will be reading in bed tonight, where I do most of my reading.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #38
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
So I've canceled my Paperwhite pre-order and decided to go with the Kobo Glo. They sound very comparable and the smaller size and lighter weight has tipped me to the Kobo side. Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on one in the US!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
ZBoater began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
One thing I'd take a long hard look at is the return policies.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
JonDavid
JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.JonDavid can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I finally received my Paperwhite from the US and had the chance to compare directly next to the Kobo Glo. I may flesh out a review later, but the summary is that in my opinion they are virtually identical. The Kindle is a little bit bigger in the hand, a little bit heavier, but not unpleasantly so and would not sway me either way.

Unlit the Pearl screens looked the same and when the light was turned up to full on both they shone to about the same degree. Neither screen is perfect in the same way a backlit lcd is, but seriously this is very unrealistic. You can see a brighter banding running across the top of the Kobo and a small area of increased brightness in the lower left hand corner. The Kindle shows a similar lower left hand light and some unevenness along the bottom where the leds are as seen in some of the reviews. When the light is turned down to a level you would use it is just not very noticeable in my opinion. I was reading both in a pitch black room last night and only needed the light on about 2/3 brightness. Otherwise I could not see any real difference between the screens. Both are very good.

The speed and contrast are very similar and although I think I preferred the fonts and menu on the Kindle that is just personal taste. I like being able to email books to the Kindle too, but I think the benefits of the epub format and expandability would more than make up for that. All in all I haven’t decided which to keep, but unless you have a large Kindle library it isn’t worth going out of you way to get a Paperwhite if it is unavailable in your country as it is here in the UK.

Last edited by JonDavid; 10-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
JonDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #41
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDavid View Post
I finally received my Paperwhite from the US and had the chance to compare directly next to the Kobo Glo. I may flesh out a review later, but the summary is that in my opinion they are virtually identical. The Kindle is a little bit bigger in the hand, a little bit heavier, but not unpleasantly so and would not sway me either way.

Unlit the Pearl screens looked the same and when the light was turned up to full on both they shone to about the same degree. Neither screen is perfect in the same way a backlit lcd is, but seriously this is very unrealistic. You can see a brighter banding running across the top of the Kobo and a small area of increased brightness in the lower left hand corner. The Kindle shows a similar lower left hand light and some unevenness along the bottom where the leds are as seen in some of the reviews. When the light is turned down to a level you would use it is just not very noticeable in my opinion. I was reading both in a pitch black room last night and only needed the light on about 2/3 brightness. Otherwise I could not see any real difference between the screens. Both are very good.

The speed and contrast are very similar and although I think I preferred the fonts and menu on the Kindle that is just personal taste. I like being able to email books to the Kindle too, but I think the benefits of the epub format and expandability would more than make up for that. All in all I haven’t decided which to keep, but unless you have a large Kindle library it isn’t worth going out of you way to get a Paperwhite if it is unavailable in your country as it is here in the UK.
I would be very grateful if you could post an image with the two readers, with the light off and on.

Thanks for your attention, best regards
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #42
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
OK -- this is what I really ended up doing: I picked up a used Nook Glowlight for a great price (<$100 including case), and will use that in the interim until the Kobo Glo is more readily available in the US. I so love reading on a lit screen. I pretty much have the light on all the time. I can make the font size much smaller and it's just much more comfortable to read. I don't expect ever to read on an unlit screen again!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #43
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Trying to decide now that Paperwhite available in Uk. 2 quick questions that may help me decide:

1. Does paperwhite have bookshelf view?
2. Can you email books to Glo? or have similar thing as 'send to kindle'?

thanks for any answer
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you mean by "bookshelf view"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #45
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Something like this when you switch on kindle
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote