Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you been/ are you currently an administrator or moderator of a forum?
Yes, I've been/I am currently an admin in a forum 8 26.67%
Yes, I've been/ I am currently a moderator in a forum 11 36.67%
No, I've never been anything like that. 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Are you an Admin or Mod in another forum?

I'm positive that we all appreciate and thank the administrators and moderators of this site for keeping it clean and friendly, that task being harder by the fact that both the userbase and the managers are scattered all around the world, and the number of users is huge.

I'm sure our appreciation and esteem is higher in the case of people who do run or cooperate with other forums themselves. It is indeed a complicated task, no matter how big the userbase, to maintain a degree of civility in your own place against the hordes of threats coming from the internet, while trying to accomplish the goal that our forum has (whichever they can be).

In my own case, I am currently a co-administrator of a Spanish politics forum, called Sólo Es Política. I started as a moderator in that forum and I was called to help, and here I am.

Three years ago I joined another politics forum (Foro Política), which gave me a lot of nice experiences. However, the administrators made a huge mistake some months ago (elliminating all the non-political subforums) with which much of the userbase was enraged and I decided to quit, along with many other people.

One of those former users brought many of us to a new project (SEP), geared to be what Foro Política should have been: a place for civilized political debate with its sections for politics, for discussing certain topics in depth and, last but no way least, to host the off-topic forums in which we could have a break and talk about the things which join us and not only the ones which split us. Aside of that, we've tried to become wider, trying to touch many fields (we started a blog, a FB account, even Twitter) and most important, we've engaged many users in the making of that community. In fact, it was some of the users who have been leading the process.

Eventually we've had to move to our own server to lend a better service and to better accomodate the ideas of our users. We as admins have steered the initiatives of the users as well as we could. There have been clashes, but I'm confident now that we'll keep growing and making SEP a better forum. I think that Mobileread is a great example for forums around the world, and I would like SEP to take some of its virtues.

And what about other people? What's your experience with managing/moderating a forum, if you have it?

Last edited by Logseman; 09-29-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Yes

I am not allowed to list the sites.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Technically-speaking my other "forum" moderation duties are on a discussion mailing list (quite a few years now, and membership for about 12), though it feels like there are more similarities than differences.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It was an email list, not a forum, but I figured it was close enough for a yes.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
No and No
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm an administrator AND a moderator on another forum. this goes back to about 97
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am an administrator and moderator on another site. specifically a web radio site.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
der-Matt
Student
der-Matt will become famous soon enoughder-Matt will become famous soon enoughder-Matt will become famous soon enoughder-Matt will become famous soon enoughder-Matt will become famous soon enoughder-Matt will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650, PRS-300
I was an administrator and moderator on another site, it was a quite successful, little Warhammer Online Fanpage.
der-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've been an admin on one site, am currently something between an admin and a mod on another, and I think I'm still a mod on a few mailing lists....
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I was the owner of an xbox live forum with over 500 members. I quit doing that around a year and a half ago because my life got too complicated.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm a moderator on an international forum for a game. Each moderator has its own forum to moderate and if I was asked for the Off-topic forum, I'd probably have declined...

The problem of an international forum is mostly that people from all over the world have slightly different views about the correctness of things...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Was a moderator on a pretty popular java programming site, it has been some years though
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Yes, I've been an admin. on another busy set of message boards for about eight years now. It makes me admire the Admins/Mods here all the more.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I was an administrator for a couple of years on another site, but not now.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm a moderator on an international forum for a game. Each moderator has its own forum to moderate and if I was asked for the Off-topic forum, I'd probably have declined...

The problem of an international forum is mostly that people from all over the world have slightly different views about the correctness of things...
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote