Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
DNAML releases PDF to ePub

DNAML releases PDF to ePub
Nettie Hartsock Planet PDF Contributing Editor

September 17, 2009

DNAML, an ebook technology house has announced the release of a software called 'PDF to ePub.'

The program enables users to convert an unlimited number of PDF ebooks into the industry standard ePub format.

Adam Schmidt, DNAML's CEO notes, "DNAML is proud to be first to market with a professional solution in PDF to ePub which solves a crippling eBook adoption problem."

"We are excited there is an additional option for publishers to create EPUB and introduce more titles in the digital supply chain. A critical mass of content is necessary for continued growth in the eBook space and EPUB is designed to help facilitate the flow of content through sales and distribution channels to get these titles to market," said Michael Smith, executive director of International Digital Publishing Forum.

The program offers users conversion speed of 2-5 minutes for average trade title, 100% text accuracy, images and images positioning based on the PDF positioning and can convert from PDF to HTML enabling web pages creation from the PDF text.

PDF to ePub is priced at $99 and enables publishers and more information on the release can be found at www.pdftoepub.com.
http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/..._ePub&gid=7925

Last edited by Kris777; 09-17-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
$99? Ha ha funny.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When (in the distant future) a whole day goes by without somebody calling ePub "the industry standard", I'll start to considering that it might actually be.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
When (in the distant future) a whole day goes by without somebody calling ePub "the industry standard", I'll start to considering that it might actually be.

- Ahi
But it is the standard in the ePub industry!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The problem with DNAML's offering is that there is no way to test it without first buying the program. And considering that DNAML has its own proprietary ebook format, I wonder why they created what they claim is 100% perfect PDF-to-epub software rather than PDF-to-DNAML.

If anyone from MR does plunk down the $99, I hope they'll post an indepth review. I find DNAML's claims for the software questionable, although they may be accurate -- but without a trial version, I'm not sure it is worth $99 to find out.

Last edited by rhadin; 09-17-2009 at 09:34 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The problem with DNAML's offering is that there is no way to test it without first buying the program. And considering that DNAML has its own proprietary ebook format, I wonder why they created what they claim is 100% perfect PDF-to-epub software rather than PDF-to-DNAML.

If anyone from MR does plunk down the $99, I hope they'll post an indepth review. I find DNAML's claims for the software questionable, although they may be accurate -- but without a trial version, I'm not sure it is worth $99 to find out.
The ability to correctly convert a PDF to anything is inherently limited by factors not under the control of the conversion software... so yes, their claims are--if nothing else--overbroad.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
This is the software predisposed for a trial download. I can't understand why they don't offer one, especially considering the high asking price!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I can't understand why they don't offer one, especially considering the high asking price!
I can think of ONE reason...
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
This is the software predisposed for a trial download. I can't understand why they don't offer one, especially considering the high asking price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I can think of ONE reason...
Yes, it does seem that the answer is contained in the question itself. (And yes, I acknowledge that a proper question wasn't actually asked.)
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Having tried just about every PDF -> anything conversion software there is. This claim is a load of bull as far as I am concerned.

The day they DO release a piece of software that can correctly convert a pdf to whatever else format correctly, I will buy it, almost at any cost!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Having tried just about every PDF -> anything conversion software there is. This claim is a load of bull as far as I am concerned.

The day they DO release a piece of software that can correctly convert a pdf to whatever else format correctly, I will buy it, almost at any cost!
Me too. Condition: It has to work and I want to try it first on MY files!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The funny thing is that if this worked well, I would just convert the ePubs back to PDFs using Jellby's script. But I doubt it does. The intermediate steps are a good sign, I must admit. But I'm surprised they don't offer even a full example: couldn't they take a public domain title, and let you download both the input and output to compare? Of course, demo version would be better, but a sample would at least be something.

Last edited by frabjous; 09-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just heard back from DNAML. I was told that they are going to add a trial version.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just heard back from DNAML. I was told that they are going to add a trial version.
yes, it will be interesting to test it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #15
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Recommendation: Avoid

Well I went ahead and bought this. My recommendation: avoid at all costs. Perhaps it does fine on documents that are simple text, but complex pdf is a disaster.

I tried it on a fairly typical computer science paper in two-column ACM format. I've attached the pdf and the resulting ePub so you can look for yourselves.

The first couple of pages are fine, although it messed up the table of author names. No big deal.

It correctly detected that there are two columns and got the flow right.

The first column-spanning figure on page 2 was done correctly. So far so good.

The graphs on pages 3 and 4 are a complete mess. Rather than treating them as images, it extracted the axis labels and threw away the graph itself.

The formulae on pages 5 and onwards are thrown away.

Then about half way through the first column of page 6, the document just stops. The entire second half of the paper is unreadable. When I poke through the actual files (specifically ch0-p1.xhtml), it is apparent that there is malformed XHTML that is causing my reader to croak.

Like I said, for simple documents involving only straight text and perhaps some images, I imagine the product might work fine. For real scientific documents, however, the generated ePub is simply of no use whatsoever.
Attached Files
File Type: epub HR GI 2009.epub (56.6 KB, 609 views)
File Type: pdf HR GI 2009 - Camera Ready.pdf (522.8 KB, 872 views)
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote