Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
I used to use the Amazon.com website's "Recommendations for You" to discover new and upcoming eBook releases, but Amazon recently severely neutered it to make it near useless.

Now I am not sure where to discover interesting new and upcoming eBook releases.
It might sound like black humor, but I've actually found that some pirate sites are very good for finding new and interesting books to read. I know at least one where the books are sorted into genres and have description pages with covers and synopsis. It's actually better for discovering new books than any legal site has recently been. Of course I don't pirate the books themselves, I only use the sites to find new books to buy. Still, I find it extremely ironic that one should resort to such means to find new reading material...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It might sound like black humor, but I've actually found that some pirate sites are very good for finding new and interesting books to read. I know at least one where the books are sorted into genres and have description pages with covers and synopsis. It's actually better for discovering new books than any legal site has recently been. Of course I don't pirate the books themselves, I only use the sites to find new books to buy. Still, I find it extremely ironic that one should resort to such means to find new reading material...
Interesting. How is that different than Amazon's ebook site? I'm just trying to visualize what the difference is. I would guess that pirate sites tend to focus more on more popular books so there is a certain amount of filtering going on.

People seem to have all sorts of ways to find new books. 30 years ago, I found books from a combination authors I already knew, recommendations and browsing the new book shelf at the book store. I would say that the vast majority of books I bought were a combination of authors I already knew and browsing the new book self.

Now, I rarely bother trying to browse the new books list. Most books I buy are either authors I'm already familiar with or books that someone recommended. Occasionally, I'll see the "Oh that looks interesting", but that tends to be triggered by an email rather than actively browsing an ebook store.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. How is that different than Amazon's ebook site? I'm just trying to visualize what the difference is. I would guess that pirate sites tend to focus more on more popular books so there is a certain amount of filtering going on.
There are actually all kinds of books there, plenty of self-pubbed stuff from Amazon and Smashwords too, not only tradpubs. But yes, as they're books that people have bothered to de-DRM and upload, there's rarely total trash there. So in that sense there is filtering. I doubt browsing pirate sites would work for someone who is not interested in self-published authors and reads only tradpubs. It works for me, it doesn't really matter to me how the book is published if it's any good. Well, unless it isn't fiction. For nonfiction I tend to seek out traditionally published books.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are actually all kinds of books there, plenty of self-pubbed stuff from Amazon and Smashwords too, not only tradpubs. But yes, as they're books that people have bothered to de-DRM and upload, there's rarely total trash there. So in that sense there is filtering. I doubt browsing pirate sites would work for someone who is not interested in self-published authors and reads only tradpubs. It works for me, it doesn't really matter to me how the book is published if it's any good. Well, unless it isn't fiction. For nonfiction I tend to seek out traditionally published books.
Is there a difference in the way the book available is different than the Kindle store? I'm still trying to visualize what exactly you are talking about with regards to easier to browse.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there a difference in the way the book available is different than the Kindle store? I'm still trying to visualize what exactly you are talking about with regards to easier to browse.
The differences are mostly that there are far fewer books to begin with, they are strictly separated into different genres (on Amazon, for example, the SF/Fantasy genre is pretty clogged with paranormal erotica and romance; on the site I mentioned those are mostly in Romance or Erotica category and SF/Fantasy is really only SF/Fantasy), and the books are sorted by date, newer uploads come first (of course you can sort by date on Amazon too). For a daily overview it's pretty handy and takes much less time than browsing the Kindle store.

I still use Amazon for browsing too, but not as often. What annoys me there most is that my favorite genres (fantasy and science fiction) are full of self-published erotica and romance, which I don't read. On pirate sites books are generally not in multiple categories at the same time.
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Publishers (imprint) sites can be another good place to browse for books of a specific style.
Baen for a type of SF
Poisoned Pen Press for Mystery
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #37
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I don't know about the Kindle app, (I don't use it) but when I go to the Kindle store on my computer, the recommendations for me are pretty spot on. I went there today, and got the attached image for my recommends. Nothing in KU or Prime, and all things that I'm interested in. There are a couple that I've already read, but I didn't buy the book from Amazon.

Shari
I find that, also... I often get recommendations which would work for me if I was buying at the time. I didnt used to, because I was grabbing freebies by the dozen (over that now) and so the recommendations were coloured by those. but now... pretty much spot on.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I find that, also... I often get recommendations which would work for me if I was buying at the time. I didnt used to, because I was grabbing freebies by the dozen (over that now) and so the recommendations were coloured by those. but now... pretty much spot on.
The Amazon recommendations are spot on only if you buy most of your books from them. I don't really, so their recommendations are mostly useless for me. As to why buy elsewhere, the answer is simple: other stores offer better prices. Not always, of course, but often enough.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The differences are mostly that there are far fewer books to begin with, they are strictly separated into different genres (on Amazon, for example, the SF/Fantasy genre is pretty clogged with paranormal erotica and romance; on the site I mentioned those are mostly in Romance or Erotica category and SF/Fantasy is really only SF/Fantasy), and the books are sorted by date, newer uploads come first (of course you can sort by date on Amazon too). For a daily overview it's pretty handy and takes much less time than browsing the Kindle store.

I still use Amazon for browsing too, but not as often. What annoys me there most is that my favorite genres (fantasy and science fiction) are full of self-published erotica and romance, which I don't read. On pirate sites books are generally not in multiple categories at the same time.
ok, I understand. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #40
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
As to why buy elsewhere, the answer is simple: other stores offer better prices. Not always, of course, but often enough.
I'm curious. I would appreciate it if you provide a few examples.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I'm curious. I would appreciate it if you provide a few examples.
Lemme see. Looking at my recent purchases, I see the following price differences:

In Truth and Claw by Ari Marmell - Google Play 5,43€ vs Amazon 8,99$ (about 7,87€)
Intrigue in Covent Garden by Susanna Gregory - Google 7,47€ / Amazon 12,7$ (11,12€)
Redemption's Blade by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Google 3,93€ / Amazon 6,46$ (5,66€)
The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston - from the publisher Angry Robot 6,99£ (7,82€) / Amazon 11,54$ (10,10€)
The Sea Queen by Linnea Hartsuyker - Google 6,79€ / Amazon 12,71$ (11,13€)
City of Lies by Sam Hawke - Google 8,09€ / Amazon 11,99$ (10,50€)
Ravencry by Ed McDonald - Google 5,09€ / Amazon 8,55$ (7,49€)
The Deathless by Peter Newman - Google 6,17€ / Amazon 12,05$ (10,55€)
A Demon in Silver by R. S. Ford - Google 5,43€ / Amazon 8,99$ (7,87€)
The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn by Tyler Whitesides - Google 4,87€ / Amazon 7,41$ (6,49€)
Vengeance by Gail Z. Martin - Kobo 5,99€ / Amazon 8,39$ (7,35€)

These are all tradpubs. As for self-pubs, I often prefer Smashwords - there is no price difference with Amazon, but Smashwords provides me with a DRM-free, easily downloadable file. From Amazon I mostly buy their exclusives, which you cannot get anywhere else.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #42
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Thanks. I'm delighted you replied with examples. It seemed to me that with agency pricing this should not be happening with non-Indies, and I would be surprised to see Amazon beaten in price on Indies very often.

I have only checked the first book on your list, In Truth and Claw. With this book at least you seem to be comparing prices in different countries. In Australia, for instance, the book is currently available on both Amazon and Google Play at $A7.47 including 10% GST. (€4.78 at current exchange rates). Amazon US currently have the book at $9.99 with the price set by PRH. Kobo US also, as expected, have the book at the same price. Amazon.de have the book for €5.40. I don't have a US Google account and would have to jump through too many hoops to get the US price. However, given agency, if it is cheaper at Google Play books in the US I suspect Amazon and Kobo would want to know why!

If your Google Play Store account is in one country and your account with Amazon is in a different country you may well find many instances like this. An account with Amazon.de may be worthwhile for you if Amazon will allow it. Kobo users have long recognised the benefits of "travelling", though Amazon are not quite so accommodating with this practice.

Last edited by darryl; 08-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Thanks. I'm delighted you replied with examples. It seemed to me that with agency pricing this should not be happening with non-Indies, and I would be surprised to see Amazon beaten in price on Indies very often.

I have only checked the first book on your list, In Truth and Claw. With this book at least you seem to be comparing prices in different countries. In Australia, for instance, the book is currently available on both Amazon and Google Play at $A7.47 including 10% GST. (€4.78 at current exchange rates). Amazon US currently have the book at $9.99 with the price set by PRH. Kobo US also, as expected, have the book at the same price. Amazon.de have the book for €5.40. I don't have a US Google account and would have to jump through too many hoops to get the US price. However, given agency, if it is cheaper at Google Play books in the US I suspect Amazon and Kobo would want to know why!

If your Google Play Store account is in one country and your account with Amazon is in a different country you may well find many instances like this. An account with Amazon.de may be worthwhile for you if Amazon will allow it. Kobo users have long recognised the benefits of "travelling", though Amazon are not quite so accommodating with this practice.
I'm seeing In Truth and Claw for $7.99 at Google Play in the U.S.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember: Some places, the prices include GST and other fees.
In the USA, those are in addition to the listed price. (>11% in some cities )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Remember: Some places, the prices include GST and other fees.
In the USA, those are in addition to the listed price. (>11% in some cities )
And in some states in the U.S., ebook taxes are quite low (relatively). For example in CT, the sales tax is 6.5%, but for ebooks it is 1%.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote