Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Update eink waveform

Hi, is it possible to update eink waveform and if so, then how?

The problem:
I had an european kindle 3 3G with a cracked screen.
I ordered a replacement screen from China and it was installed without a problem.
The replacement screen is almost the same as the one I had.
But the new screen can't show pictures correctly, like it lacks the correct greyscale to do so.
Text and books are ok.

I have tried several factory reset and fw update, but nothing.

So today I started to look up the diag section of my kindle, and here is what I have found.

Under device settings the eink panel id is blank.
There is an option for update eink waveform, but I lack the .wbf file.

Under operator test suit:
panel id: ????_???_??_???
waveform id: V110_000_60_M01
error: waveform not correct for this panel.

The data of my new screen:
ED060SC7(LF)C1
CMN60B4016(C98)
E30406431L4V28094AE
94V-01122

The only mention of proper wavefor that I found was on 4pda in russian, there was a mention of V220_E157_60_WA1206_ED060SC7H3_BTC.wbf but no link for download or how to install it.

So how can I fix the waveform problem?
Where can I get the proper .wbf file or the one mentioned above?
If I got the correct wbf file, how do I install it?
Maybe if I run a full kubrick unbrick process it will fix this problem?

Last edited by Zirowe; 07-28-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Zirowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirowe View Post
Hi, is it possible to update eink waveform and if so, then how?

The problem:
I had an european kindle 3 3G with a cracked screen.
I ordered a replacement screen from China and it was installed without a problem.
The replacement screen is almost the same as the one I had.
But the new screen can't show pictures correctly, like it lacks the correct greyscale to do so.

- - - - -

So how can I fix the waveform problem?
Where can I get the proper .wbf file or the one mentioned above?
If I got the correct wbf file, how do I install it?
Maybe if I run a full kubrick unbrick process it will fix this problem?
First:
No, Kubrick can not change the contents of that waveform ee-eprom.

- - - -

As you have discovered, the waveform calibration is stored in a serial ee-eprom present on one of the flat cables to the display.

Since the information there can be read by the system at run-time, that device must be on one of the internal hardware buses.
But that does not mean that a "write" function is available for that device on the internal hardware bus.

So, second:
Do not discard or damage the broken screen you have removed, you may have to connect it back up once (if) we find a way to "dump" that ee-eprom to a file.

Note:
There are some posts/pictures on the 'net where at least one person soldered test leads to the ee-eprom and used special hardware to read out its storage.
**Not recommended** at this point.

Third:
Place self into a "holding pattern" for right now - -

I don't have a "sacrificial K3" to devote to poking at its internal buses.
I do have a "Broken Screen Kindle" on order - it should be here next week.
Purchased just for this sort of purpose (poking at the internals with a real chance of ruining the electronics).

Another thing to consider:
Shop for a "Broken K3" (other than a broken screen, say, a broken keyboard).
Then just swap screens.

There may even be members reading this post here with a broken keyboard K3 that could help you out by PM.

OR
If you have the technical skills and tools, it may be possible to un-solder, swap, and re-solder that programmed ee-eprom for the factory blank one.
**Not recommended** yet at this point in the problem solving.

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2013 at 09:47 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can't help feeling that unless you're doing this as an enjoyable intellectual exercise, it would be a lot easier simply to buy a replacement K3 from eBay, Craigslist, or somewhere similar.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't help feeling that unless you're doing this as an enjoyable intellectual exercise, it would be a lot easier simply to buy a replacement K3 from eBay, Craigslist, or somewhere similar.
Probably just an intellectual exercise.

I know of one China distributor of the original factory replacement screens.
In that case their price (even their wholesale price) plus the cost of shipping is more than the price of a used, working, K3.
And a "used - broken keyboard" K3 is very cheap.

At that distributor's prices, the only practical screen replacement is for the DX(G).

But in this case, the O.P. has already spent the money.
So this thread will indeed be just an intellectual challenge, not something practical to do.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I've got the replacement screen for a very good bargain price.

Now my pw is on it's way, but I would like to fix the k3.

Problem is, that my kindle was already on fw 3.4 before the broken screen, so no fw update could help (I've read somewhere that that have helped someone) .

I'm not an engineer, but I like to poke around with stuff.
As I understand from the diag menu, the wbf for the waveform can be flashed easily if I have the right file.

The only mention about this that I have found is on the 4pda forum, where and that the seller has sent the necessary file.
Unfortunately my seller is gone and still hasn't answered me.

It seems that the k3 was sold with more then one type of screens, and mine was sold with an older one (I bought it on 2011.02).
I hope that maybe kubrick can help.
Within 2 days I will be able to try it out.

But it's actually the same good quality when I read books or text on it, the only problem is with pictures/screensaver.

Last edited by Zirowe; 07-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The data of my new screen:
ED060SC7(LF)C1
CMN60B4016(C98)
E30406431L4V28094AE
94V-01122
What is the data of your old screen?
(The K3 shipped with three different screens during its production run.)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Zirowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is the data of your old screen?
(The K3 shipped with three different screens during its production run.)
I can tell you that in 2 days.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I can tell you that in 2 days.
Super.

I had not seen your PM when I posted that, but thanks anyway.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Zirowe

So, I have run kubrick two times already, now is running for the third time.
2and a half hour of flashing each time+30secs of button holding, but still no change, the problem still remains the same.

Data of the old screen:
ED060SC7(LF)C1
EMT60B1033(C36)
E30406361L1V29251AA
94V-01050
Old 09-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
tccsargent
tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: K3
This problem of the bad waveform almost exclusively lies with the 3G models of the Kindle Keyboard (and also with the 3g Kindle Touches). Here is a practical solution to your problem which, although not perfect, works most of the time: (1) Save the old, broken screen that you have removed from a 3G model of K3. (2) While the Kindle is still open, attach the new screen to it and navigate to "Reset to Factory Defaults" in the system submenu of the Kindle, and press Enter. (3) Press the arrow to navigate to "OK" of the Cancel-OK prompt which appears in the popup window for Reset to Factory Defaults, but do not press Enter yet. (4) Remove the new screen and re-connect the original broken screen; you will now be running blind, but you know that the Kindle is poised to reset with the pressing of the enter key. After the old screen is re-attached, go ahead and press Enter. (5) The Kindle will now reset to factory defaults, (hopefully) accessing the eprom chip on the ribbon cable of the old broken screen and loading the good waveform that resides there. Since you cannot watch the progress of this reset, give the Kindle at least FIVE minutes to complete the process before unplugging the old screen and re-plugging the new screen. Then slide the power bar and take a look: your 'wireframe' pictures should now be restored to solid rich grayscale!

I have repaired hundreds of Kindles and followed this procedure with around a 90% success rate. Unfortunately I have had some units (all 3G) which persistently reset to a bad, or missing, waveform, but the process has worked most of the time. Due to those failures, however, I have built up an inventory of around 50 broken 3G screens so that I can keep trying to find one to boot to which the subject Kindle will successfully read.

By the way, you should follow this procedure only after upgrading to 3.4 OS, since a later system upgrade (with a replacement screen installed) can again lead to a 'bad waveform' problem.

Good luck!
tccsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Zirowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccsargent View Post
This problem of the bad waveform almost exclusively lies with the 3G models of the Kindle Keyboard (and also with the 3g Kindle Touches). Here is a practical solution to your problem which, although not perfect, works most of the time: (1) Save the old, broken screen that you have removed from a 3G model of K3. (2) While the Kindle is still open, attach the new screen to it and navigate to "Reset to Factory Defaults" in the system submenu of the Kindle, and press Enter. (3) Press the arrow to navigate to "OK" of the Cancel-OK prompt which appears in the popup window for Reset to Factory Defaults, but do not press Enter yet. (4) Remove the new screen and re-connect the original broken screen; you will now be running blind, but you know that the Kindle is poised to reset with the pressing of the enter key. After the old screen is re-attached, go ahead and press Enter. (5) The Kindle will now reset to factory defaults, (hopefully) accessing the eprom chip on the ribbon cable of the old broken screen and loading the good waveform that resides there. Since you cannot watch the progress of this reset, give the Kindle at least FIVE minutes to complete the process before unplugging the old screen and re-plugging the new screen. Then slide the power bar and take a look: your 'wireframe' pictures should now be restored to solid rich grayscale!

I have repaired hundreds of Kindles and followed this procedure with around a 90% success rate. Unfortunately I have had some units (all 3G) which persistently reset to a bad, or missing, waveform, but the process has worked most of the time. Due to those failures, however, I have built up an inventory of around 50 broken 3G screens so that I can keep trying to find one to boot to which the subject Kindle will successfully read.

By the way, you should follow this procedure only after upgrading to 3.4 OS, since a later system upgrade (with a replacement screen installed) can again lead to a 'bad waveform' problem.

Good luck!
Sir, you are officially my hero!

Your method worked perfectly, thank you, for sharing this to me!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Supra James
Supra James is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+Wifi
I tried this just now - but it doesn't seem to be a full solution, as any restart or reboot afterwards will cause the graphics to go back to the way they were with a bad waveform.

Has anyone been able to look at this in more detail? The ENABLE_DIAGS screen says that allows the upload of new waveform files, we just need to be able to extract one from the old screen somehow.
Supra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Zirowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra James View Post
I tried this just now - but it doesn't seem to be a full solution, as any restart or reboot afterwards will cause the graphics to go back to the way they were with a bad waveform.

Has anyone been able to look at this in more detail? The ENABLE_DIAGS screen says that allows the upload of new waveform files, we just need to be able to extract one from the old screen somehow.
Well, for me it requires the old screen only If I do a reset.
A normal reboot does not affect it.

I'm very happy since I've been told this solution, finaly, after a lot of months my kindle world correctly after all.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Supra James
Supra James is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Well, for me it requires the old screen only If I do a reset.
A normal reboot does not affect it.

I'm very happy since I've been told this solution, finaly, after a lot of months my kindle world correctly after all.
I'm glad it works for you - I will perhaps try a few more things before it beats me. I'm still trying to get my head around how it's working for you. I don't think the waveform data is being uploaded to your screen, so I am confused as to how this survives a reboot.
Supra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
tccsargent
tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: K3
Supra-

Results seem to vary from user to user: Apparently Zirowe was only able to restore the waveform with a Factory Reset of his Kindle. However the chip containing the waveform, which is an eraseable serial flash memory, a Winbond 25X20BL, if memory serves (pun intended!) is read during either a Reset or a Restart. I routinely extract the chip data using a Restart so that I will not erase the Kindle.

By the way, to do this you just need the ribbon cable from the old 3G unit containing the Spiflash chip and the plug. I routinely peel the ribbons off the broken screens and discard the glass, just saving the ribbon assembly.

Zirowe is correct about the consequences of a Reset (or a Restart). The new flash chip on the replacement screen is not flashed during either a restart or a restart. Therefore, if you perform one of these operations later on, you'll need to pop the hood and plug in that old ribbon cable again, or you'll revert back to the old washed out graphics!
tccsargent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracked screen, eink, keyboard, update, waveform