Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Quoting /u/Ragriz1 from Reddit:

"I just came from the Amazon bookstore. Rep told me that they are no longer allowed to sell the Oasis 2 covers because Amazon is fixing the magnet issues. Thought you guys would like to know."
I wonder if they will do anything for those of us who've already bought covers.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I wonder if they will do anything for those of us who've already bought covers.
Presumably those people who are unhappy with them will return them; those who are happy (such as you and I) will not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #18
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably those people who are unhappy with them will return them; those who are happy (such as you and I) will not.
Darn it. I want a better cover, but I also hate returning things.

I suppose I can just complain about it here, best of both worlds.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 AM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Darn it. I want a better cover, but I also hate returning things.

I suppose I can just complain about it here, best of both worlds.
I was thinking the same thing. If the magnets 'should' be stronger then I'd like that cover, and I have two , but again I don't want to return them.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:00 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. If the magnets 'should' be stronger then I'd like that cover, and I have two , but again I don't want to return them.
I'd suggest contacting Amazon, explaining the situation, and asking if, in the circumstances, they'll allow you to exchange the covers after the normal return period. The cover seems absolutely fine to me as it is, though. It doesn't fall off, but it's easy to remove when I want to remove it.
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
i have a feeling they are goign to be revised.

absolutely no way they can be out of stock
this is probably the cheapest stuff to manufacturer
Let's see when it will be avalaible again...
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #22
JeFurry
JeFurry began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
I ordered my Oasis 2 and Merlot leather cover on November 1st. At the time, Amazon UK said the cover would ship in late November - the 28th, I think, although I could be wrong about the precise date. However, it shipped a few days later from Germany, and I received it on Wednesday 8th November. I'm very satisfied with it - the magnets are plenty strong enough, and the leather looks very distinguished and like it belongs in a gentleman's study. The leather's softish - it picks up textures from being handled. But in my 46 years of life, I've learned to embrace the Japanese wabi-sabi philosophy, and accept some of the signs of wear and impermanence. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi)

The cover stock situation isn't as dire as it seems. Why not place an order and see if you get lucky? You can always cancel if you change your mind.
JeFurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFurry View Post
The cover stock situation isn't as dire as it seems. Why not place an order and see if you get lucky? You can always cancel if you change your mind.
It's not possible to order either the leather or the fabric covers from Amazon UK at the moment. They all show as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd suggest contacting Amazon, explaining the situation, and asking if, in the circumstances, they'll allow you to exchange the covers after the normal return period. The cover seems absolutely fine to me as it is, though. It doesn't fall off, but it's easy to remove when I want to remove it.
I'd rather not make a fuss tbh, the covers are adequate as they are. I just wondered if, when the new covers are available, Amazon will automatically do anything for those customers who have already bought, and kept, covers.

I guess it all depends on how severe they consider the issue and how many covers they have already sold.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd rather not make a fuss tbh, the covers are adequate as they are. I just wondered if, when the new covers are available, Amazon will automatically do anything for those customers who have already bought, and kept, covers.
I'd be surprised if they did, but who knows? Time will tell. I don't personally see the slightest need for a replacement for the cover I have; it's absolutely fine as it is.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #26
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
I've just received an amazon call about that and they told me that if is in warranty, will be no problem. But she don't know if they will ship the same cover (unexpected if they don't sell it) or a new one.
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #27
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i put in for a return of my blue cloth cover and then realized the oasis was impossible to grip and hold without a cover, so i withdrew the request.

since then, living with the cover every day, i've gradually developed techniques for the situations where i know the connection will fail. it's worst for me when the cover is folded back and i want to fold it back over the front for carrying. unless you are very careful prying the bottom layer off the back it will slide off as if greased--as if there are no magnets there at all.

my workaround is to use my thumb at the bottom right and fold the bottom half of the cover upwards and then use that to leverage separating the whole thing. if you try to fold the whole cover it puts too much pressure at a bad angle and you simply push the magnets off the oasis.

i can live with it until someone (maybe amazon?) comes up with a better design. i ordered one of the $10 chinese ones from amazon and although they promised two-day delivery, it now says 44 days.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #28
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Darts, I had hoped to get one of the covers, mostly for the "screen protection while in a bag" and "built in stand", I wish more 3rd party sellers made easily removable covers with a built in stand....
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #29
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I received a phone call from a Amazon rep regarding my two star review of the Merlot leather cover yesterday. She wanted to discuss the review and have me expand on my remarks. She indicated that they would be passed on to the design team. I criticized the finish which is a dirt magnet IMO and the fact that it is not full coverage. Sides are open so it provides minimal to no protection in a drop and to me one major purpose of a cover is to provide bump and drop protection. I also mentioned the frequent complaints I have seen that the magnets are too weak, particularly if the cover is used as a reading stand.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #30
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
Quote:
I'd be surprised if they did, but who knows? Time will tell. I don't personally see the slightest need for a replacement for the cover I have; it's absolutely fine as it is.
HarryT, you have the light colored leather one, right? I can't remember the official name of the color right now. Does your scratch and develop marks at the drop of a hat? It's not a problem, really, but I've never had anything leather mark up the way this cover does.

Oh, and my magnet appears to be getting worse, not better, over time. It was fine for the first week, and now it's falling off fairly regularly, especially when I have it folded back for one-handed reading. No drops or danger, but it's weird.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote