Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Is the extra .8'' on the H2O worth the extra $$ ?

Hello,
I've had the Kindle 3 and the Nook simple touch some years ago. For some reason, they both ended up with cracked screens.
I really read lots of pdfs; math, physics, engineering etc . . . Of course, I'm aware that the optimum reading experience for such documents requires a 9+ inch reader. But, obviously, I cannot afford the prices of such ereaders. My ceiling is $200. I've been hoping that by the time I decide to buy another ereader, the prices of 9+ inch ereaders will be less than $200, but, as we know, that is far from the case.
Anyway, I have had my sights on the Kobo Aura H2O for the past couple of days. There's also the glo HD, which is £25 cheaper but at only 6''. The question is does the extra .8'' on the Aura H2O matter at all. Will that benefit be noticeable?

PS: I'm not interested in getting a tablet. If I get the Aura H2O, I intend to install KOrewader for pdf and djvu reading.

Last edited by medwatt; 10-06-2015 at 04:53 PM.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, the extra .8" is worth it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Really ? Do you use KOreader ?
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I don't use KOreader but I'd agree with YES. You can either get more on the screen or the same amount on the screen but bigger. Remember that the 0.8" is diagonal so there is actually quite a bit more screen real estate.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Completely agree!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule? I had a Glo and a H2O at one point and gave the H2O to my mom. And I'm currently reading on a Glo HD. I read novels/fiction.

I just can't envision reading technical PDFs on a small (6.8) screen.

Maybe the OP could resize a PDF window to 6.8" on his computer to see how he likes the size?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule? I had a Glo and a H2O at one point and gave the H2O to my mom. And I'm currently reading on a Glo HD. I read novels/fiction.

I just can't envision reading technical PDFs on a small (6.8) screen.

Maybe the OP could resize a PDF window to 6.8" on his computer to see how he likes the size?
I've read those kinds of PDF files on my 6"... I did remove all the margins though (most of those margins are huge!). It doesn't have to resize that much then. Especially not if you have a 6.8" reader.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've read those kinds of PDF files on my 6"... I did remove all the margins though (most of those margins are huge!). It doesn't have to resize that much then. Especially not if you have a 6.8" reader.
Not trying to be argumentative, just for discussions sake ...

I measured one of my technical pbooks: 9.5" diagonal with a ratio of 1.80 (printed area, the actual page diagonal is 11.25).

That sounds like more than "not that much" to me.

The paper book had a nice easy to read font size. When I tried the Windows PDF resize to 6.8", the font was much smaller than what I would normally read at; I could read it fine, but I don't think I would want to read at the size for long periods of time.

Just looking at the numbers, 9.5" --> 6.8" seems like a much larger jump than 6.8" --> 6.0". In the end, if I was only going to be reading larger fixed layout PDF documents a lot, and I had to stick to eink, and I had to keep it 6.8 or under than, for me, I would go with the H2O; but than if it was me, I wouldn't have all those restrictions as hard requirments .
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yeah, I'd say so. For pdf, read them in landscape. The other option is the 6.8 Onyx which will offer more pdf software options than koreader (I think koreader exists for android too). But the Onyx will cost more I guess. If you went android, you really want a no-refresh option which allows you to scroll pdf without flashing. I've found that useful reading pdf on a nook st. I believe the Onyx has that option (a2 mode). You can find the onyx on amazon I think.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
To compare you need to know the screen area. A 6" screen is 17.3 sq. in while a 6.8" screen is 22.2 or nearly 5 more sq inches (28% more). To compare other sizes see our wiki on screen sizes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Recently I've been migrate from a few months old Aura 6'' to H2O 6,8'' (I keep both devices, the 6'' exclusively for the road and, occasionally, for walk and trips) and I love the screen size of 6,8.
I read a lot of epubs but I need the bigger screen for pdf magazines. I think the 0.8'' is a huge improvement over the 6'', especially for reading pdf books, comics and magazines.
The 9+'' offers far better reading experience, but I thing is more expensive and lose the mobility...
In a few words:
Yeap! Is worth it!

If you have some time, take a look in the video below. Describes the differences of 6 and 6,8 of Kobo Aura series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XKEyV5xAEk
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes, and the waterproofing is good, even if it's just for the odd rain shower or coffee accident.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #14
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I love everything about my H2O, including the size. I'm so used to 6.8" now that I doubt I could go back to a 6" reader. Absolutely worth the extra money to me.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes! Very much worth it. I love it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura h2o, screeen size