Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmurray View Post
The key question for me is have they sorted out the glare. I love my Sony but I'm going to need a neck brace soon from all the contortions I do try to angle the thing.
Glare? There is no glare from the PRS-650. You don't, by any chance, have the old PRS-600, do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #62
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Priced more than $200? Here we go again (in the U.S.).
If the European price is going to be €164 it's considerably less expensive than the x50 models. The 650 was way over $300 over here.

I like the specs but not the look. I think the x50 models looked better. Glad they kept the red though!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #63
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

Unfortunately yes i do have PRS 600. It's great in every way EXCEPT FOR THE GLARE. Excuse me shouting
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmurray View Post
Unfortunately yes i do have PRS 600. It's great in every way EXCEPT FOR THE GLARE. Excuse me shouting
That was caused for the resistive touch screen. Go and look at a 650 or 350, with its IR touch screen. No glare there at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #65
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
If the European price is going to be €164 it's considerably less expensive than the x50 models. The 650 was way over $300 over here.

I like the specs but not the look. I think the x50 models looked better. Glad they kept the red though!
I think they look nicer than the x50. At least in photos anyway.

With the same pearl screen, I'm not tempted at all. I want to treat myself to a new ereader (it's been a rough year personally), but it looks like there'll be no new toy for barty boy
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #66
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Lithium polymer is what is used on virtually all the readers. It is flat battery in a polymer bag. Lithium ion uses cans like traditional batteries.

Lithium ion is not dead, it is still widely used in laptop and other devices that do not have a thickness factor issue.

Lithium polymer is used in all flat type devices.

There are other differences in fully charged voltage per cell and discharge curves.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #67
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Disappointing. Wi-fi is standard on previous generation models of other brands.
I was kind of expecting a color e-ink screen and maybe a 7'' screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If this is for real, the only real changes seem to be the multi-touch screen and the addition of WiFi.

Last edited by Quexos; 08-27-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #68
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Just a quick side-note: the next version of PRS+ will have the option to display the current book cover on standby. And this is for all models: 505, 300, 600, as well as 350, 650, 950. (And if you can't wait for the next version, build your own from the source. It isn't too difficult!)

Sincerely,
Ben.
Thanks for the heads up
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #69
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Images showing readers with covers from a few different angles.
More robust stylus for sure.
It appears they may have got rid of those reflective silver colours/finishes.

From Bol.com
That picture doesn't bode well for reflections. Look at the gloss on the black reader and the way you can see a reflection of the white reader above it.

The price drop is certainly a good idea (if this is true), and I can see how some people would prefer a lighter reader. But for many the Sony's solid aluminium construction was a selling point (particularly considering how fragile eInk screens can be), and this is now just a smarter version of the other plastic readers out there.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #70
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
That picture doesn't bode well for reflections. Look at the gloss on the black reader and the way you can see a reflection of the white reader above it.
You're right, it does look like the high gloss finish you see on flat screen TVs nowadays (which I personally hate, but it's near impossible to find a matte finish anymore). And if that's the case, you'll definitely have to put a skin over it or that glare would drive me nuts. When I was initially checking out all ereaders and was looking at the Nook, the high gloss on the white frame drove me nuts even just reading in the store for a few minutes. Even though it's not on the text where you're reading coming from the glass, it's annoying and distracting enough to me so that I was constantly tilting the Nook while reading trying to reduce the glare.

I can't believe they did that. And the curved bottom (which I already said I absolutely hate about the reader).

Btw, can anyone tell where that stylus would slide in? It doesn't look like any place on the top (or the cover is badly designed and hides the slot), and the bottom looks like headphone jack, USB jack, and SD card slot? And this stylus looks fatter/thicker than the current stylus on the 350/650.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #71
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Looks interesting.... although, unless there's more info, it doesn't look like a MUST-HAVE update. At least they lowered the price- that should help those who want a Sony, but don't want to pay almost double the price of other e-readers for less features.

I wonder how Sony-lovers will justify liking the plastic casing, after some have thoroughly trashed the Kindle and other e-readers for theirs... where are the cries of higher build quality = worth the much higher price?

Last edited by Anarel; 08-27-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #72
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Sonderangebot!!!!!!!!

That means special sale price!

253,01 Euros inkl. sales tax
Translating to $366.79

For a PRS 650 at the original Sony.de website right now!

If you're a yankee, don't worry, they only always just screw us over here.

Count on a nominal € = $ parity and then try to order out of state. That still works to avoid sales tax, doesn't it? I read somewhere they were trying to make it harder.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #73
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am really excited about this new sony reader. Not sure how I feel about the plastic casing, though, but I'm not surprised.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #74
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I wonder how Sony-lovers will justify liking the plastic casing, after some have thoroughly trashed the Kindle and other e-readers for theirs... where are the cries of higher build quality = worth the much higher price?
The focus will be on the "features".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #75
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I'm really hoping this means that Amazon is going to announce a new Kindle soon -and I mean really soon, within the next few days- maybe Sony wanted to beat them to it, get some sales from people who were tired of waiting all summer?

Last edited by Anarel; 08-28-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs