Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
SerenaDoll
SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Gaining permission on entries from internet users?

Hello,

I will be starting a book about a specific neiche fetish. And I will be asking for submissions from people about their fantasies. Is there a page or link for guidelines on this? When it comes to including randomn users from the internet?

Also, I assume I need consent in order to print their fantasies so... (Or do I?) Is there an already established contract for this? Or do I have to tell them to include a basic - "I X give consent to X to publish my submission". To include with their submission.

And finally... do I have to give them my real name for legal purposes? I would prefer to stay anonymous with the handle I already use on this specific forum. And would like to use my handle for the book itself. (Or come up with something new.)

Thank you in advance.

SerenaDoll
SerenaDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I assume you meant "niche" when you wrote neiche. I would think that you would want to be upfront about your intent to print submissions. Some people may be ok with you using their names, but others may not. Perhaps you could offer to change the name's or ask them what name they would prefer to use. Or even just use initials. My own initials for example are C.R.B. (though I rarely use my middle name) but either C.R.B. or C.B. would be a common enough set of initials that many people must have the same initials as I do. You would be well advised to consult a lawyer about any releases needed I would think just to be safe, though if people are submitting material knowing that you intend to print it I would think you have a little protection just from the fact that they did still submit it. I would think that you would have to give your name to the submitters as you are writing non-fiction. People like to know who they are dealing with. You could say "my name is (insert name) but I will be publishing the book under the pen name of SerenaDoll.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I thought the op meant Nietzsche's fetishes.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm guessing this might be the wrong place to ask: not many active participants here that work in this genre (as far as I know), so not much in the way of relevant experience to draw on. I suspect that all you really need is to make the conditions clear at time of submission (and perhaps record evidence of having done so). But when it comes to questions of legalities, Internet advice is worth about what you pay for it. Obtaining real, informed legal advice on the matter would probably be a good idea - and even then some parts will remain open. What is legally correct in your jurisdiction may not cover material you collect from other jurisdictions - but what those jurisdictions can do about it is another matter again.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
SerenaDoll
SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I assume you meant "niche" when you wrote neiche.
Ah my apologies. I didn't realize I was spelling that wrong.

Quote:
I would think that you would want to be upfront about your intent to print submissions. Some people may be ok with you using their names, but others may not. Perhaps you could offer to change the name's or ask them what name they would prefer to use. Or even just use initials. My own initials for example are C.R.B. (though I rarely use my middle name) but either C.R.B. or C.B. would be a common enough set of initials that many people must have the same initials as I do.
I already know this. But thank you.

Quote:
You would be well advised to consult a lawyer about any releases needed I would think just to be safe, though if people are submitting material knowing that you intend to print it I would think you have a little protection just from the fact that they did still submit it. I would think that you would have to give your name to the submitters as you are writing non-fiction. People like to know who they are dealing with. You could say "my name is (insert name) but I will be publishing the book under the pen name of SerenaDoll.
Oh good thank you. As long as the publisher knows. Understood.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
SerenaDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I thought the op meant Nietzsche's fetishes.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
SerenaDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm guessing this might be the wrong place to ask: not many active participants here that work in this genre (as far as I know), so not much in the way of relevant experience to draw on. I suspect that all you really need is to make the conditions clear at time of submission (and perhaps record evidence of having done so). But when it comes to questions of legalities, Internet advice is worth about what you pay for it. Obtaining real, informed legal advice on the matter would probably be a good idea - and even then some parts will remain open. What is legally correct in your jurisdiction may not cover material you collect from other jurisdictions - but what those jurisdictions can do about it is another matter again.
Ah ok. Well, I guess I'll just have to consult the publisher at that point. I can't really afford a lawyer. Not only that but I was hoping to make an E book first THEN a limited supply of books. I'm such a noob. But that's alright we all are once. Thank you for the advice.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
SerenaDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm guessing this might be the wrong place to ask: not many active participants here that work in this genre (as far as I know), so not much in the way of relevant experience to draw on.
I forgot to address this. I figured that might be the case but... I didn't want to ask on my forum or any other fetish site. As you basically wrote in a nutshell: the advice I receive on the internet is going to be so so.

As a woman on the internet who is very much out there already with my content of writing and such... I didn't need more mail. At least here no one knows me... or trying to talk to me on a subject they know nothing about. (Just to talk to me.) And considering I've already been corrected twice on my spelling... I know I made the right choice.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaDoll View Post
I forgot to address this. I figured that might be the case but... I didn't want to ask on my forum or any other fetish site. As you basically wrote in a nutshell: the advice I receive on the internet is going to be so so.

As a woman on the internet who is very much out there already with my content of writing and such... I didn't need more mail. At least here no one knows me... or trying to talk to me on a subject they know nothing about. (Just to talk to me.) And considering I've already been corrected twice on my spelling... I know I made the right choice.
Well you will want to present the best profile of yourself when dealing with others when you ask for submissions and when you are selling your actual book. One of the first things people will see is if you are spelling things correctly. We only get one chance to make that 1st impression. I know myself that when I see a book for sale I spot when someone has a lot of spelling errors. If there are a lot of spelling errors then what else might be wrong with the book? Sales can be lost quickly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
SerenaDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Well you will want to present the best profile of yourself when dealing with others when you ask for submissions and when you are selling your actual book. One of the first things people will see is if you are spelling things correctly. We only get one chance to make that 1st impression. I know myself that when I see a book for sale I spot when someone has a lot of spelling errors. If there are a lot of spelling errors then what else might be wrong with the book? Sales can be lost quickly.
I absolutely agree with you!