Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
How to tell format of Kindle Book

I've been trying a few samples with K4PC until I receive my newly purchased 'one careful owner' Kindle 2 International.

I have tried a certain script that will remain unnamed, but all of the files except one come up with the error that they are topaz files, the DRM of which is not yet fully broken.

One file was released.

They all had .prc extensions when downloaded and look exactly the same - so how can I tell if they are azw (crackable) or topaz?
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Are you using the option 'download via computer' (or however they word it) or are you just letting them go straight to K4PC?

If you can download them to your computer you can see the extension.

In fact, now that I think of it, don't they go somewhere in a computer file anyway? Something called Kindle Content? Not sure if you can see the extensions if you click on that folder or not.

<going to look>
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Okay, in Documents I find the Kindle Content folder, and when I open it I can see that some books show azw, some just show mobi, and some, if I hover the mouse over the title, show azw or tpz.

Not sure if this helps, I have a feeling you're a lot more savvy about this stuff than I am. If this is crazy obvious just glide on by.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
suecsi:

Here's what I've gleaned from various postings:

1) Generally speaking, if there is no "file size" listed for the Amazon e-book (under Product Details), it's a Topaz file

2) After you've downloaded a sample, look at the file in a text editor. A Topaz book will start with TPZO (the first four postitions in the file)

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote