Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
BBC iPlayer article on self publishing and ebooks

There is an article available via the BBC iPlayer titled "The pros and cons of eBook readers for those who can and can't see".

It talks about self publishing and ebook readers.

Those able to access the BBC iPlayer can view the video (approx. 23 minutes) here.

Last edited by M.H.; 11-29-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Updated link
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that this will only be available to people in the UK, won't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Made a change for a quick review of ebook readers to mention why some choose eInk over LCD screens and the possible problems of been locked to a single provider and limited book choice.

Also, the on demand book printing machine is something more book stores need to get a hold of. When I still bought books one of the main reasons I bought the majority online was simply lack of stock/choice in store. I'd much prefer to nip to a book store knowing I can get the book there and then even if there's a small print delay, especially if they provide a few computers to allow you to browse books that are available on-demand.

If that machine can help bring down the price of paperbooks by removing the transportation and storage/dead stock problems, maybe there's still a future for stores to compete against online stores such as Amazon.

If I were still buying paper books rather than ebooks and our local store had print on-demand, I'd probably have continued to buy from them rather than on-line. Sometimes there and then access trumpts minor on-line cost savings, which is why I like ebooks so much.

For reference and technical books where ebook readers are still not ideally suited (imho) it'd be an even bigger advantage. Besides, they can offer a coffee in their store cafe whilst you wait for your book to be printed
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote