Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any ereader device display Thai correctly?

Hi,

I'm looking for ereader device which can display Thai characters correctly (readable). Could anyone recommend one?

Thanks in advance.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
Why don't you upload some of your Thai documents, I'm sure the kind souls here will help you test them on their readers.
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc_141 View Post
Why don't you upload some of your Thai documents, I'm sure the kind souls here will help you test them on their readers.
That's a very good idea. I send a prc (mobipocket) file. Please put it to your reader device, open it, and take a photo for my verification.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Manager_Online_-_Breaking_News_CF0104AE.prc (640.8 KB, 416 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
That's a very good idea. I send a prc (mobipocket) file. Please put it to your reader device, open it, and take a photo for my verification.

Thanks in advance.
On my Cybook I only get squares and/or question marks. Is this file built with UTF encoding? It looks like it's done with the western one...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Vesper..thanks for trying. I use Mobipocket on desktop to retrieve this enews.

Your Cybook can install new fonts? I attach a set of truetype fonts which should display Thai properly.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 10-02-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: edited to remove copyrighted font
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:

Your Cybook can install new fonts? I attach a set of truetype fonts which should display Thai properly.
It can install them. I tried with "Ansana New" and voila! Image I attached is rather poor but I think you can see the text.

DrS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	36762  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi. Vesper
Thanks a lot. It is readable! But not perfect. Can you try Angsanaupc?

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Hi. Vesper
Thanks a lot. It is readable! But not perfect. Can you try Angsanaupc?

Thanks again.
I'll try when I get home from work. What's wrong with this text? If it's to small you can always choose bigger letter size.

DrS
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I'll try when I get home from work. What's wrong with this text? If it's to small you can always choose bigger letter size.

DrS
Hi Vesper
The font size is fine. If you notice the vowels which are on top or bottom of characters, it should not have space following them. Just want to try the UPC font type whether it wiu solve this problem.

Sorry to disturb you during work.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Hi Vesper
The font size is fine. If you notice the vowels which are on top or bottom of characters, it should not have space following them. Just want to try the UPC font type whether it wiu solve this problem.

Sorry to disturb you during work.
It doesn't solve this problem. The space remains - it looks exactly the same as the A-New

DrS
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An issue with Mobi Reader, perhaps. bthoven - have you tried it with the Windows Mobi Reader? I suggest you do, if you haven't already done so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An issue with Mobi Reader, perhaps. bthoven - have you tried it with the Windows Mobi Reader? I suggest you do, if you haven't already done so.
Thanks again Vesper for trying this. I think I can live with that.

Hi Harry,

I've been reading prc ebook for several years with Mobireader on Palm, Windows Mobile, and iPhone Kindle app. All these devices display Thai perfectly. Here is how it looks from my iPhone kindle app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 102.png
Views:	474
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	36818  
Old 10-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Thanks again Vesper for trying this. I think I can live with that.
No problem. I never had a chance to try and display anything but plain English and a occasionally a rare Cyrillic text...

DrS
Old 10-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
When I get the chance(Maybe later tonight or tomorrow) i´ll try making an epub with embedded fonts to see if they display fine on my reader
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

Hi bthoven, I'm sorry, I've had to remove your font ; it's not a free one and we can't distribute copyright material on this site.

--zelda (moderator)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote