Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to pay?
up to $ 5.-- 7 9.46%
up to $ 10,-- 6 8.11%
up to $ 20,-- 13 17.57%
more then $ 20.-- 4 5.41%
I'll never pay for a FW update 44 59.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #61
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think you are missing that it is not the amount of money that is important. There is a principle involved here. I would rather buy a new reader for $300 than giving Bookeen more money for something they should deliver as part of the original deal.
There is only one thing bookeen owns you : bugfixes.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There is only one thing bookeen owns you : bugfixes.
I depends when you bough your device. promises were made on the blog and in other places and people buying the device after these promises were made should get the things that were promised.

And I am still waiting for working html support that does not crash the reader so often. So I am still wating for a lot of bug fixes but I will never see these fixes so I will never buy a Bookeen product in the future.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #63
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Ok, I confess: I find it somewhat "funny", when one would rather spend 299,-- bucks instead of 9,99 just so his principles stay intact.
What's "funny" about it? I honestly don't understand. I agree with tompe on this.

The device manufacturer is under no obligation to produce new features -- only to fix bugs so that the reader works to its originally marketed features.

Of course, manufacturers do compete with each other on features, price, reliability and service. It is up to the manufacturer to decide which features to add in order to compete (listening to one's customers can be useful here, of course).

If we start going down a road where each improvement is an added cost option, it's not really good for the customer (who could be sold bare-bones models with all sorts of "options" packages -- confusing and likely more expensive in total), nor for the producer (who has to support numerous configurations).

The best way to handle this is to provide different hardware models/versions, where the "standard" model has fewer features than the "higher end" model. Of course, if the only difference between the two models is software, customers are less likely to view this favorably; if hardware differences are also involved, it's quite common and accepted (e.g., Sony 700 vs. 505).

Just my two cents. Hope you do not find them that funny.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #64
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
You sound as if you had no principles at all and would do just anything for money. I hope that's not the case, because whatever you do, you'd ultimately waste your life.
In fact, quite the opposite is true... One of my major principles is that always a good compromise needs to be found. Another one to offer several solutions, not to tell other people exactly what to do and how to do it. I will always listen to other peoples ideas, but I otherwise don't hesitate telling the Emperor that he's naked...

In short, I try to live a good life, don't hurt anyone (for real) and be a good role model for others.

Quote:
>> It's sad, but you'll soon enough realize, that nobody learns any lessons from your small sacrifices...
I hope you'll realize someday that doesn't matter at all.
I haven't said not to do it, just that you shouldn't hope for any reward or thanks. (which IS rather sad)

Last edited by gerraldo; 07-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #65
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
>> Ok, I confess: I find it somewhat "funny", when one would rather spend 299,-- bucks instead of 9,99 just so his principles stay intact.
What's "funny" about it? I honestly don't understand. I agree with tompe on this.
A. I spend $ 9,90 and get new features I want/need for my reader.
B. I buy a new reader with said features for $ 299,--.

I'll do A and find it somewhat funny when someone does B just because he's so fixed on his principles, he can't or won't reconsider.

Quote:
The device manufacturer is under no obligation to produce new features -- only to fix bugs so that the reader works to its originally marketed features.
100% ACK and this should always be free!

Quote:
Of course, manufacturers do compete with each other on features, price, reliability and service. It is up to the manufacturer to decide which features to add in order to compete (listening to one's customers can be useful here, of course).

If we start going down a road where each improvement is an added cost option, it's not really good for the customer (who could be sold bare-bones models with all sorts of "options" packages -- confusing and likely more expensive in total), nor for the producer (who has to support numerous configurations).

The best way to handle this is to provide different hardware models/versions, where the "standard" model has fewer features than the "higher end" model. Of course, if the only difference between the two models is software, customers are less likely to view this favorably; if hardware differences are also involved, it's quite common and accepted (e.g., Sony 700 vs. 505).
Sounds OK to me...

But look over at the iPhone and it's Apps - works fine and is THE promising market at the moment.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #66
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
But look over at the iPhone and it's Apps - works fine and is THE promising market at the moment.
If you notice my profile, I own an iPod Touch and am familiar with the applications available for it.

I see a difference between a "dedicated" device like an ebook reader and a more general purpose computing device (which is what smartphones -- or small "tablets" like the Touch -- are becoming). I have no issue with paying for (mainly third-party) software that enables the device to do something new. I do have an issue with paying Bookeen or Amazon or Sony for a new "feature" related to reading ebooks, as I would in paying Apple for a new music-playback feature for my older iPod Classic or Nano.

It is a fine line, granted, and the distinctions are ever more difficult to make.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #67
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
A. I spend $ 9,90 and get new features I want/need for my reader.
B. I buy a new reader with said features for $ 299,--.
The trouble is, we initially trusted Bookeen, when it advertised that it will have working HTML and TXT, and that folders will be present in the next firmware update, which will be released in a month, at most (that was in 2007).

So, if you still trust tem after this experience, and choose A., you'll spend 9,90 and get nothing but new promises.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #68
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Heu, they HAVE working HTML and TXT. But they NEVER promise folder support. The only thing they said is that it was on their todo list, along a plenty of other things
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Heu, they HAVE working HTML
My HTML files usually crash the Cybook. That is not working. There is no excuse for rebooting when reading an HTML document. It is also silly that you cannot follow links in an HTML document.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #70
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

The Cybook is NOT a webbrowser, and you cannot blame them if it does not handle some badly made HTML. I even think is will better support XHTML (XML) than HTML (SGML) and do not forget the reste of my post "and TXT"
Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #71
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Cybook is NOT a webbrowser, and you cannot blame them if it does not handle some badly made HTML. I even think is will better support XHTML (XML) than HTML (SGML) and do not forget the reste of my post "and TXT"
There is a different between not handling and reboot. There is not excuse to write the programs so that the device reboots. What happens is that you navigate to an HTML file which takes a long time since there are no folders. Then the Cybook reboots and the navigation starts from the beginning. So when you try to fix the HTML file you still have to navigate 200 books or so to get to the modified file which then reboots the Cybook again.

The support for txt does not work properly since you cannot change the character set for the txt file.

I am also waiting for them to restore the battery time to what it was for the first firmware. Since my Cybook broke I got a model were I cannot runt the old firmware.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #72
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I think that bugfixes should without question be free - when a product has a physical malfunction or known issue it is recalled or can be returned, if not by the store it was bought in then by the manufacturor but because bugs in software arent permanent firmware updates exist - these should be free.

with additional functionality I think its ok for the user to make a choice to outlay more money - as long as it isnt simply a feature that was switched OFF initially to allow for more money making later
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #73
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Heu, they HAVE working HTML and TXT.
Yes, if by "working HTML" you mean that Cybook opens few test html files they tested with, and doesn't crash. No, if by "working HTML" I mean that it should be able to open every HTML file that works on a browser, and not crash. I don't require it to render all the content, I know that would be quite hard to do.

With TXT, I can't make it display properly Polish books - there's no way to set character encoding the TXT file is in. It only handles pure ASCII TXT at the moment, that's not "working TXT" for me.

With HTML, I can set character encoding with a tag, but Cybook doesn't handle the tag, and doesn't render Polish HTML correctly, even if it doesn't crash. I made sure the font used to render the HTML file contains all Polish characters.

Quote:
But they NEVER promise folder support. The only thing they said is that it was on their todo list, along a plenty of other things
About folder support, yes, they phrased it so I was led to believe that I will have it in the matter of months, and that made me buy Cybook - but the whole matter is a bit complicated, and I lack time to put together all the advertising texts and emails I sent and received.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #74
Godzil

Quote:
Yes, if by "working HTML" you mean that Cybook opens few test html files they tested with, and doesn't crash. No, if by "working HTML" I mean that it should be able to open every HTML file that works on a browser, and not crash. I don't require it to render all the content, I know that would be quite hard to do.
Ok so every browser on the world are not "working HTML" There is always some pages that will crash your browser.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM   #75
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I depends when you bough your device. promises were made on the blog and in other places and people buying the device after these promises were made should get the things that were promised.

And I am still waiting for working html support that does not crash the reader so often. So I am still wating for a lot of bug fixes but I will never see these fixes so I will never buy a Bookeen product in the future.
Don't buy anything if it don't a fonction X you need, even if the company said it will be supported. things can (if not will), go wrong.
And if you translate "we plan to" as "we promise to", sorry to say it, that's you problem, not bookeen's.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote