Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
human
human began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile Device
Question Poll: How do you load your non-DRM Mobipocket books onto your Kindle?

Hi! I'm new here and loving all the helpful posts on this forum (thank you!).

I've created a non-DRM ebook in Mobipocket format (.prc) using Mobipocket Creator. From what I've read here, it seems that this should open without a problem on the Kindle (yes?). I have two questions:

1) What would be the best way to tell users how to load the book? Should I give instructions on how to connect the Kindle via USB, or have users email it to their Kindle address? Since most Kindle users probably download directly via the Amazon store, I want to be sure to give good instructions.

2) I don't (yet) have access to a Kindle myself. Would any of you be interested or willing to try it out on your Kindle? It's a novel with images throughout. If this is something that people don't feel comfortable doing, I understand. If you're willing and able, though, let me know?

Thank you for reading and for the great support system you have here for ereading folks--

Kathryn.

PS. I currently read books on my windows mobile device but am excitedly considering an ereader.
human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I normally use the USB cable to transfer books -- mainly because I only turn on the antenna when I am expecting a transmission from Amazon. Since the only thing that *requires* sending over the whispernet are the samples, I can go weeks and weeks without turning on my antenna.

But, I'm certainly willing to test both methods for you.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think you need to provide many details. For example, from FeedBooks
Quote:
Otherwise you could get your content through:

* USB: Simply download a Mobipocket/Kindle file on your desktop computer and transfer the content to your Kindle using the USB cable
* E-Mail: Download a Mobipocket/Kindle file and e-mail it to your Kindle e-mail address: [user]@kindle.com
* SD: Download a Mobipocket/Kindle file to your SD card
I would not include the SD option (which only applies to the Kindle 1).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
human

Talking Thank you!

Wallcraft - Thank you for the language! It's helpful to know exactly what will make sense to Kindle users.

Elsi- Thank you for your offer to help! I just sent you a message via the forums.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The only thing I'd change is specify that the file should be placed in the "documents" folder on the Kindle. Many people who have not used the USB process before fail to do this.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
human

Thanks, Sirbruce! This is a big help--
Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I would rename it from *prc to *.MOBI. When you do this, the book is just as readable on the Kindle. In my experience, the books with .Mobi extensions are easier to work with when using tools like Calibre to edit the metadata and so forth. Whenever I download a .prc file or use Mobipocket Creator to make one, the first thing I do is change the file extension.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
human

Ah! Thank you. I can do that fairly easily. I have a strange question. When you download the file for your MOBI format books, is it just the .MOBI file alone, or is it a zipped file?

Thank you again. This forum is one of the most helpful I've been on!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Most eBooks that I download are just the Mobipocket book, either .prc or .mobi. You'll want to make sure that your web server delivers the right mime type for those files, though, so that the receiving system knows what to do with them.

If you want to see what others are doing, check out the Mobipocket books here at MobileRead and the free books from Feedbooks, Manybooks, and Baen.

And -- though no one has pointed it out -- not all eBook readers can work with Mobipocket books. While it is possible for the downloader to convert the file from Mobipocket to the format used by their reader, it would be a kindness for you to do so and offer the book in multiple formats. The absolute minimum would be Mobipocket (.prc or .mobi), Sony BBeB (.lrf), eBookwise (.imp), Microsoft Reader (.lit), and ePub open standard (.epub).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
human

Elsi,
Yes, now I see the considerable list of books here, and this helps a great deal. Thank you!
Also, I am planning on mastering multiple formats. I'm new at the nitty gritty of ebook creation, so I'm starting one at a time. Thank you for the suggestions--
Kathryn.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
swfriends4you
swfriends4you began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use USB

New Here-I have Kindle version 1
-I find the USB connector to be easier-again as been mentioned-place in documents folder of Kindle.

Whispernet here is an on and off type of thing. Although I live in a large city-service is sketchy due to mountains.
swfriends4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
You could always point them to the appropriate amazon help page for instructions on getting the book onto their kindle. After doing one book, most people don't need instructions. i don't find many sites that give even that minimal instruction - if you can find the book, it's assumed you can figure out how to get it on your reader (or convert it, if needed).

Anyway, I'd be willing to check out how it looks on my Kindle, if you need someone.

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle content, mobipocket, mobipocket creator