Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
offthebus
offthebus began at the beginning.

Device: cbook gen3
gen3 arrived yesterday

Ordered direct from bookeen, took 10 days. Big disappointment, cover out of stock, will be sent in a follow on shipment

No problems with the device, e-ink screen fantastic, reading in bed last night was easier on the eye (and wrist!) than with a book.

Interface notably rubbish though, missing key presses and sometimes doing 2 things (eg. page flips) instead of 1. Upgraded firmware this morning, hope that will improve things in this area.

Generally, very pleased. I chose cybook for its size and minimallism. It *is*, simply, an electronic book!
offthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
ddaneel
ddaneel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Congratulations!

Same story here, ordered from Bookeen website on 26 May, arrived here in UK on 3 Jun, with no cover. Well, the delay was expected, as they advertise 12 business days waiting time on their webpage, but the missing cover was not fair.

I agree totally, great hardware, sloppy software, to be improved hopefully. Anyway, I am also very pleased, let's enjoy it!
ddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Ddaneel, we must have ordered at nearly the same time , as I also ordered on the 26th and got it on the 3rd (and quiet early too, at 8:15 in the morning).

I didn't order the cover as I had asked in advance about availability, as NAEB had mentioned that they were out of stock at Bookeen itself. And as I am travelling abroad soon, I was a bit leery of the case not getting to me on time.

Insted, I went out and bought a Caselogic Mp3 Accessory case (£2 on sale at HMV), and it fits the Gen3 Nicely. Now I can wait to select which proper case to get .

As for the Device, would suggest skipping the firmware upgrade if PDF's are important to you. It managed to break even the ones that were working before.

It does however make a great comic reader for web comics. I tend to download strips in batches, and read them when I have time. The clarity of the Gen 3's screen is great when compared to the Sony Prs-500, when held side by side. Now I Only wish It allowed browsing inside zip archives to make it even easier.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
ddaneel

Nice idea the caselogic case!

I am still waiting for Cybook cover. Expected mid-June they said.

Out of curiosity, what web comics do you read?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaneel View Post

Out of curiosity, what web comics do you read?
If you feel that the caselogic case is not strong enough, as it is not very stiff you could grab a Wii accessory case. It has a really stiff front cover, so should help in protecting the screen when you stuff it into a backpack .
All you have to do is stick a velcro patch to the back of thee gen 3, any you'r set.

As for the Webcomics, Lets See now

Kevin and Kell
Gene Catlow
Nip & Tuck
Collage Roomies from Hell
Newshounds
Ozy & Milli

Skim through comics.com & gocomics.com every few days.
And I pay for King features DailyInk, so I get them daily in my mailbox.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
ddaneel

nice ideas!

and thanks for the comics hints, now I can further than dilbert and peanuts. Will check them out
Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
wizard327
wizard327 began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, Kaiser,Iphone,CybookGen3
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebus View Post
Ordered direct from bookeen, took 10 days. Big disappointment, cover out of stock, will be sent in a follow on shipment

No problems with the device, e-ink screen fantastic, reading in bed last night was easier on the eye (and wrist!) than with a book.

Interface notably rubbish though, missing key presses and sometimes doing 2 things (eg. page flips) instead of 1. Upgraded firmware this morning, hope that will improve things in this area.

Generally, very pleased. I chose cybook for its size and minimallism. It *is*, simply, an electronic book!
I'm glad for you. 13 days has passed since I ordered and yet I still have not received any Fedex notification. I sent an email to Bookeen today and got no reply so far
wizard327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
ddaneel

To share the waiting experience, I am still waiting for that cover. Emailed Bookeen for news, no reply, as expected. Would like to phone them, but could not find any number. I vaguely remember a thread with a phone contact, but could not find it
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaneel View Post

If any eink reader I purchased came without a case, I'd be pissed and demanding that the company do something even if it means going to another company and purchasing a cover. Without the cover, it makes the portability of the device almost non-existent. I put my reading in my bag and take it with me. But if I didn't have a cover, I'd be worried about damaging the screen. To me sending out any eink reader with no cover is unacceptable and poor business practice. I suggest emailing at least once a day until they respond and if they cannot say the cover is on the way, demand they get one from M-Edge NOW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
ddaneel

I just noticed they have new covers in the bookeen shop. I have a feeling they have run out of the old ones and forgot about the old orders

I have also found that phone number in this very instructive thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+number&page=4

Btw, a reasonable customer support seems to be a dream these days, in any sector
Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd be interested in what they say after you call.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heavens, Jon, that's rather an "over-reaction", I think!

Given the choice between sending out the Gen3 now, and following it up with the cover when it comes back into stock, or delaying the entire order until the cover is in stock, don't you think that the first option is better? Sending them e-mails "once a day" is annoying and won't make the covers (which are supplied by a third party) appear in stock any more quickly.

I see that the covers ARE now back in stock, so I'm sure that the previous poster will receive his in the next few days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Heavens, Jon, that's rather an "over-reaction", I think!
I think so, too. I'd rather get the reader now and the cover later. But I use my device mainly at home (albeit with the cover on), so I'm sure that affects my opinion.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
ddaneel

Well, Harry was right as usual. Bookeen answered my emails the day after, Jun 26.
Quote:
Your missing cover has been shipped today.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
No need to shout at them on the phone. Delivery was at my work address, looking forward to find it tomorrow