Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
kthartline
kthartline began at the beginning.

Device: None
Rooted Nook Color or Kindle Fire or ??

I am looking to get a reader/tablet for my birthday.

It will have 3 main uses - 1) Reading books on lunch at work, 2) Recipes - both in book form and on the internet (so must have browser), and 3) Browsing the net (though this will only be occasionally, I want it to be an option). Additionally, I would like to watch some TV or Movies occasionally while on vacation and such. I also have a bunch of books already downloaded from various sources over the years - lots of which are .pdf. I would like to be sure that I could read all those easily too. I also use Google calendar and contacts to keep track of my entire life so access to that would be good, although I do have my phone and sit at a computer for most of the week so that isn't a deal-breaker or anything - just a perk.

I am tempted to just go with the Fire because I do a ton of shopping at Amazon already and really like them. HOWEVER... I am already an Android user. I've had a Droid phone since they first came out and am very familiar with how the Android system works and LOVE the Google integration (which, as I understand, isn't available through the Fire android?)

Hence my dilemma... Fire with Amazon - a company I like and use often (with prime access to TV shows & such), or Nook Color rooted to a sort of tablet with the full Android market? Other than personal preference, is there some reason you can see that I should be swayed to one or the other? Thanks so much for any insight.

BTW - I'd be open to another if there is a better option out there for me. THanks!

-Kate

Last edited by kthartline; 01-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
kthartline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hmm...

If you need browsing, let's take eink readers out of the equation, because they are not for that. Plus only one that gives a basic ability for that is old Kindle keyboard I think.

Now, between stock Nook Tablet and Amazon Kindle, I personally prefer the Kindle Fire. Without rooting, you can download Dolphin browser and if you're an Android user, you know is an excellent browser. Navigation is ok on new Nook Tablet but if you want to install something (at least when I had mine) it was harder than Kindle Fire. The Fire is more open on that regard.

Now, please do not expect full Android experience on any of those devices, stock. They UI have been locked so you basically live and move inside each environment, which for Amazon is their own market and B&N their own B&N market. However, Nook Tablet has faster and better hardware. You can notice that if you watch streaming, but I don't think that's important for you based on your initial post.

Go Fire, these is why

-No need to root to get a functional device
-If you are Prime member or Amazon customer, works like a charm (talking by experience)
-Good value
-Better prices and titles

Go for Nook Tablet (no rooted) if ..

-You're a long time B&N customer
-You visit their stores frequently (in-store reading experience with tablet)
-Want better screen and speed for streaming
-One of those users who like additional space via micro SD card, etc

No matter what, please don't root any of those ... you will be a slave of future upgrades with the continuous fear of a new firmware ready to break your tablet.

In terms of PDF, no 7" tablet is good enough for that, not in my humble opinion. PDFs require a bigger screen, and for annotations a nice application that can handle that too. iPads are great for PDF reading. If you are not planning to edit any PDF document, Nook or Fire may or may not work for you. Nook Color does not remember last page while reading PDFs though (or was like that a year ago when I bought it) I have not tested PDFs on my Fire yet.

EDIT: ops, I noticed you said Nook Color, no Nook Tablet. If you're referring to old Nook Color device, go Kindle Fire, no doubt about it. Fire is less heavy and better device, in my opinion. If you are looking for a reading device I believe Fire is more comfortable and better on that.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-24-2012 at 05:05 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you want "the full tablet experience," the closest you are going to get from the options you've listed is the Nook Color with CM7 firmware. That gives you the full Android market and access to far more apps.

It's painless to install, and can be run from the SD card if you desire so you don't have to mess with anything on the system or potentially void your warranty. Also, as it's NOT the stock firmware, there are no worries about updates breaking root.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have both the Nook Color w/CM7 and Fire. The NC gives a more tablet experience; the Fire really files like an eReader that can browse but the Fire is noticeably faster at browsing. I still prefer surfing on the NC because of the better browsers.

However based on your requirements below I would recommend a Lenovo A1 Tablet over both these devices. Hardware wise it is more on par with the NC but has 16BG of storage removable SD, GPS, camera, 1GHZ vs 600GHz with a $200 price. It also comes with all the Google apps including the Android market and has Android 2.3. The A1 is a tablet and will give you a tablet experience.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
The A1's feature/price is appealing, but according to its customer reviews on Amazon it appears to have terrible failure rate and customer support.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
If you're looking for an eReader with "open" Android OS have you considered the new Kobo Vox?
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
sugold1973
sugold1973 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Well just to put my two cent in on your question. I just received a Nook Color for Xmas and loved it but thought it was lacking in potential. So a friend of mine told me about this website rootnookcolor.com. So I decide to check them out and I'm so glad I did they were able to turn my Nook into a Android tablet. So now my Nook is just as good as those more expensive tablets and I'm still able to have my original nook also.
sugold1973 is offline   Reply With Quote