Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
wmacphail@gmail.
wmacphail@gmail. began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book
Kobo Vox wifi not working in stores

I was in two Toronto Chapters today and even though the Voxs on display had access to strong wifi signals, and showed it, they could not browse the web. Theories?
wmacphail@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Perhaps the wi-fi access was not set up or they were not logged into the server?
I have not seen one but I presume it works the same as the wi-fi on my netbook, so perhaps the staff had not entered passwords to log into their system.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Don't you have to be logged in with your Plum/iRewards account?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Don't you have to be logged in with your Plum/iRewards account?
For set-up, yes - but after that, no. Sounds like they were not set-up properly. They should still be okay for demo without wi-fi, providing that was anything downloaded from an account during an initial set-up - which sounds like they couldn't do.

I noticed that at my local stores, too. It displayed the set-up screens. Most staff don't have a clue how to use 'em! My local Coles was trying to charge theirs using their PC/USB - even though the quick start instructions say you need to use the charger! I was happy to enlighten them (even though I had not yet bought my Vox - just read the user guide!).
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
mobileguycanada
mobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3
I went into my local Chapters store the other day. Was pleased to see the Vox on the display stand and available to try out. Unfortunately, the buttons at the bottom of the unit weren't registered keypresses. The staff person apologized and said he'd been resetting the unit all morning to keep them working - apparently the digitizer kept misaligning? This is something I used to see on old Newton-style devices almost 20 years ago. Didn't expect it to be a problem in a 2011-era device. He also said only the pink units were in stock - all others were sold out. I tried to access the web, the Kobo app (kind of hard to avoid that one as it kept popping up) and also get a feel for the weight and build of the thing. Unfortunately it was locked down tight to the stand.

I am an iPad owner (since day 1) first gen and also own a Kindle. Bought my wife and son one of the first series of Kobo ereaders a few years ago but they both found them frustrating to use due to lack of wifi. Transferring books by wire was a pain.

I'd love to ditch my Transformer tablet and integrate my Kindle with this Kobo device and carry everything around in one smaller device (7" versus 10.1") with less bulk.

Anyone downsizing to a Kobo Vox? How about digitizer or physical "build" problems with the units themselves? I don't want to purchase a lemon as I've bought a few of those in my time and it's always frustrating.
mobileguycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I work at a Chapters and yes, to connect to the net you have to open the browser set it to load a page and it will take you to a indigo login page to enter your rewards number. The store I work has a set one and it works.

The problem we have is one of the two we have demo, the touch doesn't want to work all that well.. And the locked down unit is retribution to learning that the playbooks were cut off displays when they weren't locked down like it and they carried the same system to the vox.

I've got my own now, one evening of disappointment at first until I got the real chance to set up and get it running. I'm enjoying the purchase now.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Michael Chaplin
Michael Chaplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Leave the store
Michael Chaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
mobileguycanada
mobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of lightmobileguycanada is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3
Update to my previous comment:

I went to Best Buy last week and purchased a Kobo Vox. Took it home, followed the instructions on setup, allowed the 2 updates to install (didn't take too long) and then set up a Kobo account. I was able to side-install angry birds, kindle reader, etc. No problems with that stuff at all. No luck getting the Google apps like GMail working directly - have to go through the web browser to access that info.

First problem I noticed was battery drain. I'd charge the Vox up at work each day, take it home, then the next morning (after not using it all night) I went back to work and tried to turn it on. Dead. Took a lot of plugging, unplugging, fiddling with the plug and adapter, down volume button+ on button to get it to light up and start working again. The battery was completely drained each morning. This was not good...

Second problem was that I ordered 2 graphic novels from the Kobo web store. Neither one would install, despite attempts at loading them via 2 different wifi routers. No luck.

Called Kobo customer service in the morning of Day 7 - got someone right away. Very helpful. She checked my account, saw that one of the novels was not even listed as being purchased! The other one she advised to delete on the device and re-synch. As for the battery issue, her answer was quick and concise: take the Vox back to Best Buy and exchange it immediately.

I went home, got the Vox, wiped the drive, packed the entire thing up so it was exactly as when I first opened it, took my emailed ticket info from the Kobo CSR that she emailed it indicating I should return the unit for exchange, drove out to the Best Buy store and they swapped it out within about 10 minutes.

Once I got back to my office I set it up (deja vu...) and everything updated fine. No hiccups with the wifi this time. and my graphic novel downloaded quickly and easily. Side installed Opera, Kindle reader, angry birds, etc. All worked perfectly.

This time when I left work I put the unit into "Airplane Mode" so the wifi wouldn't go nuts in my condo building, looking for a signal. The next morning, came into work, turned it on and voila! all was still working. The unit had an 80% charge and no problems.

So the bottom line is this: If you brand-new Kobo is showing any sort of weird Wifi behavior or battery drain issues, swap it out immediately. Don't fidget or waste time with the one you have - get another one and hopefully the second time will be the charm.
mobileguycanada is offline   Reply With Quote