Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
why PRS350 is still going strong. Trying to find a reason to upgrade to the newer back light enabled reader.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Back-lit LCD screens are completely different to eInk devices. I read on both my Kindle Paperwhite and my Apple iPad Mini, but the appearance of the screens is very different. Most people who prefer eInk devices would opt for a front-lit eInk reader, not a back-lit LCD one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #92
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Thanks, Helen! Glad to hear you still love your T-3; yours is always an opinion to be taken seriously.

I had thought of getting a T-3 in spite of Sony's abandonment, but with no recourse if something went wrong with it, plus all the talk of Adobe mucking about with their DRM, it all seemed to have too much potential for hassle. I'm sure the vast majority of the T-3s are now and will be perfect for a long time; my husband got a T-1 at the same time that I did and his is still working flawlessly. However, I know my luck - if I got a T-3 it would probably self-destruct once I crossed the border I won't dare look at them when we come up this summer - too much temptation!

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #93
AshenP
AshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheeseAshenP can extract oil from cheese

Device: prst-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I plan to keep using my PRS-T1 as long as it works. If/when it stops working, I will see what else is available.
Mine is dying - keeps freezing. Tried factory rest.. .dammit sooo annoyed. I have 'borrowed' my 8 year olds one (we have 3 in the house)

I have a kobo glo on order from ebay, I have no idea if I will like it..
AshenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #94
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenP View Post
Mine is dying - keeps freezing. Tried factory rest.. .dammit sooo annoyed. I have 'borrowed' my 8 year olds one (we have 3 in the house)

I very much liked my Glo, and once I got used to the interface, I loved how tweakable the fonts and layout were. Kobo's Nickle font is one of my favorites. I also liked that I had control over which books showed on the main screen - you can press & hold, and an option to dismiss a cover will pop up.

The Kobo forum here is very helpful - I didn't like the way the page broke around paragraphs and found a Calibre tweak that took care of the problem.

Good luck
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #95
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenP View Post
While there are some annoying things with the Kobo Glo (updating firmware way too often that breaks more than it fixes is my main complaint about it), I think the hardware itself with the front light is one of the best available right now. I just found an older firmware that I liked and that played nice with Calibre and my PC and stick with it never letting it update. Which means wifi is always off, but that's never a problem for me since I always purchase all books through my PC only, I prefer to keep them sorted there, and I sideload all my books to my reader.

Give the Glo a chance and post in the Kobo forum if you run into any problems, or even suggestions on how to better things. I really love the light on the Glo, it's on all the time at a perfect setting for me to read in sunlight or a black room. You can add your own fonts to it as well, but those added fonts won't have all the tweaking options that the Kobo installed fonts will have. There are also some easy edits to make in a config file on the Kobo as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #96
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The kobo nickel font is very nice. The glo is nice except you cant turn the light down low enough.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #97
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've noticed that different firmware changes the light output on the Glo quite a bit. My usual setting is at 28% and it's perfect in daylight, even sunlight (it just makes the page appear whiter), and it's perfect to read by in a totally black room for me, it's not too bright. When I was trying other firmware versions, I had to set the light to 72% for one firmware to get the same light output. Another firmware I had to lower it down to 12% for the same light output.

Like I said, Kobo's firmware is my biggest complaint, but if you find a version you're happy with and stick with it, the Glo is absolutely a fantastic reader.

Edit: There's also a hack that lets you reverse the white/black on the screen for a nightmode for those stuck with a light that's too bright. I haven't tried it, haven't ever felt the need for it for myself, but others love the option. You can read about the hack and download it here.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #98
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
The Thinkpad Tablet 8 look nice.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #99
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I had a similar problem and I managed to solve it myself using this procedure.

You could try first skipping steps 5 to 13 and copy the partitions one by one. It might solve your problem too.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #100
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Love my T3, the best Sony yet (after my 350!) - but then I am in the UK, use Calibre, and am an Alf acolyte .....

The kindle's still in my Dark Matter category ...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #101
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
While I still love my Sony 505, which still works well, I recognised the need to upgrade my ereader. After much deliberation and asking questions on MR, I chose a PW2. This has some truly useful functions, such as a page flip, enabling me to stay on the page I'm reading while checking a map, or list of characters, in another part of the book. The frontlight overcomes the poor lighting I have in my new house (which will be changed soon), but then I use a really nice booklight on the 505.

Like others here, I regret that Sony didn't have better direction in their ereader production; they could so easily have out-sold Kindles. Seems that many ex-Sony ereader owners are switching to the paperwhite.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Like others here, I regret that Sony didn't have better direction in their ereader production; they could so easily have out-sold Kindles. Seems that many ex-Sony ereader owners are switching to the paperwhite.
The reason that Amazon have come to dominate the market has little to do with the reader hardware; they've succeeded because they recognise that the reader hardware is just one aspect of the whole book buying "experience". You need a reader which is closely integrated with a great bookstore, and you need good customer service to back it all up. Sony make good hardware, but the other parts of the system are all woefully lacking.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #103
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I started with a 505, replaced into the 600 series when I had a screen crack and replaced again to a 650 on another screen crack. The battery on my 650 is marginal now, so I'm giving serious consideration to replacement.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm leaning towards going back to paper. (Not saying I will, as there are many things I love about the e-Ink experience not the least is the weight and that I can have 281 books and a host of magazines in one reader, and never came anywhere close to filling it.)

But the reality of the Sony closure makes it pretty clear to me that so long as eBooks are DRM-ridden and in proprietary formats, they aren't really my property, any more than the several hundred dollars worth of music I lost over the years due to DRM. So I'm not anxious to transfer my account to Kobo, nor am I anxious to keep using my Reader or purchase a replacement for it.

If I were to change, I would either purchase a Kindle if I really still want the e-Ink feel or I'd more likely invest in an iPad Air. (When I think about the number of re-purchases of Sony's I've made, I'm really on par with an iPad's price.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
But the reality of the Sony closure makes it pretty clear to me that so long as eBooks are DRM-ridden and in proprietary formats, they aren't really my property, any more than the several hundred dollars worth of music I lost over the years due to DRM.
Why don't you remove the DRM, like many people do?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #105
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Purchased a T3 last night and partnered with Calibre (with input from a helpful apprentice), I am quite happy to continue to buy Sony ereaders.

Last edited by sabredog; 03-28-2014 at 12:52 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote