Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
reader jumps to the end of the book sometimes

Due to my pressing it the wrong way? or I press...get no response and then it jumps to the end of the book....

Anyone else with the Mini have this problem?

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've heard of readers jumping ahead two pages instead of one, but to the end of the book is new to me. What type of book is it? Did you buy it from Kobo or is it sideloaded? There may be a problem with how the book is structured.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am thinking it is the book. lots of links to notes at the end of the book. Non-fiction...history... happened to me before on other readers... Me thinks it's the epub and not the reader...but who knows...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I had that with one book too. I used Calibre to re-convert it, and afterwards it was working fine. Maybe worth giving it a try ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone

I usually reconvert all epubs to epub via Calibre....cause I like to have words all over the screen....but... maybe I forgot to on this one...
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
At one time my mini kept opening books on the last page and then closing them. Seemed to be every second book. Then it stopped doing that.

Then there was a time when it would skip the cover and prologue and go to the first chapter on about 1/2 the books when first opened..

No idea really why it stopped doing either, possibly a firmware revision, or I smacked it against the wall a few times.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone

good idea smack it up a few times
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
It happened to me with a badly formatted ebook. As Aceflor said converting it solved everything.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Then there was a time when it would skip the cover and prologue and go to the first chapter on about 1/2 the books when first opened..

No idea really why it stopped doing either, possibly a firmware revision, or I smacked it against the wall a few times.
Virtually all my ebooks open on the first chapter. epigraph or prologue. I remove the table of content entries for the covers, author's list of book, etc. so the first TOC entry is the first bit of text I want to read. I really don't need to skip over the list of books the author has been associated with every time I read a book.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
As far as I can tell, a previously unopened book seems to open, by default, to the page referenced by the first item in the TOC. So if 'Chapter 1' is the first TOC entry then any other 'front matter' (cover, dedication, copyright, maps, prologue, etc) would be skipped. You can still page backwards to see the skipped pages, of course.

The moral of the story - if you want to make sure that all books open to page 1, make sure that 'Cover' is the first TOC entry.

Edit: The above applies to sideloaded standard epubs, I don't know if kepubs are the same.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@DNSB and Jackie_W

I actually tried that on one of the books that opened to the last page and closed again, to no avail. Then my Mini reset itself a couple of times IIRC and it hasn't happened since.

Prior to that it even happened on a short story with no cover or TOC.

I believe that this was 2.3.2 or 2.3.1 and I was having no sleeping cover problems as well

It was several months ago, so I am not absolutely sure but I think a random reset fixed the problem, but it could have been a firmware update.

Neither my Aura or mini seem to reset themselves as often these days, so that is a good thing
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote