Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
kastorius
kastorius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Buying advice used Kobo Glo

Hi,

I'm about to buy a second hand Kobo Glo from an internet seller (price seems to me to be fair: 70€). As I've read here some have screen issues and this used is no longer guaranteed, I asked to the buyer to send me some pictures : http://imgur.com/a/QQ5yk
As I'm a total newbe with ereaders (it would be my first one), could you please tell me if it seems acceptable, and if there are others aspects I should discuss with seller?
Many thanks!
kastorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Seems ok. My only suggestion would be to request a picture taken in a dark room with the light turned up high. This would probably reveal any problems with the light guide, which is a problem some have reported (doesn't seem to be common though.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
Looks allright to me. Screen straight, no dead/stuck pixels as far as I can tell and no bright spots in the light layer.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The price seems a little high to me for a second hand item you can't return. Of course I don't know what they normally sell for where you are. 60% of new price is max I would pay for item with no return or warrentee and I would want to see it first.

I would look for a local seller on Craigslist if available.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Are you from France or Belgium? Since the Glo is less than one year old, I think the warranty is still going on. In some cases the fact of buying a device second hand will void it, but I'm not sure if that applies in France, in Belgium or for that sort of products.

When buying from FNAC, there are two sorts of receipts: one is a plain one from the register (no name on it), the other one is more detailed and includes the buyer name.
If the seller can provide you something close to the first one, no one can know you're not the original buyer.

Regarding your questions, it's hard to tell for sure, but the screen looks good on the pictures. As said previously, a close up of the screen at full brightness would be a good idea.

Good luck to you
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I just checked the FNAC website, and they are selling the Glo for 130 Euros. So the price of the used one looks good.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote