Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Has anyone bought a Kobo device from a US Indie (ABA) bookstore?

I've tried now, three times.

The first (a children's bookstore), the cashier told me because that because they hold rambunctious children's activities, the owner keeps the display locked in her office, and to come back another time to see the display (they were in the middle of a birthday party). They don't stock the devices, so they would have to order it in for me.

The second is the secondary location of our "big" independent bookstore, which has the better business hours (they're actually open after 6pm), but is a smaller store. They told me only the main location had the Kobo stuff.

The third was the main location near the university. Went today on lunch. Couldn't find a display or mention of them anywhere. Asked at the counter - the display unit is completely hidden. It's mounted to the counter inside the elevated cash wrap, behind the register and a set of tall bookcases - he would only hand me the devices on their tether, over the bookcase, which wasn't quite long enough for me to actually do much, as I had to hold it above my head. When I said I was ready to buy a Glo, he said they don't stock them. They special order and I can pick it up in about 7-10 days. Kobo won't ship direct to me, and the store won't ship to my house, as they don't have the staff for that and in case something happens they'd be liable.

So I'm not sure the the ABA partnership is going to help either Kobo or the bookstores much, if my city is any indication.

---
Oh, and on a disturbing note, Kobo is probably sharing their database with the ABA partners. When I purchased books at the children's bookstore, they already had me in the computer. Since I didn't even know they existed until they showed up on the Kobo ABA list, that was a shock.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Powell's is pretty good at getting ereaders in the mail pretty quick. But they're in Oregon, so that doesn't help you much.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I ordered my Kobo Glo from Powell's.

I highly recommend them.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I actually bought mine from a local bookstore in my city. I really wanted to buy locally in case I ended up returning it and I called ahead and they did have them in stock and that they would allow returns. There was a store in the suburbs not too far that also had them in stock. I used the information from the Kobo site on where to buy though, and that eliminated the majority of ABA bookstores for me in and around the city.

The store had one on display and out in the open, not hidden behind a counter, but it was a group reading day for kids, so I just bought one and didn't stick around to play with the display. One the way out I noticed on the receipt that it said "no refunds, store credit only" and I was really tempted to go back and return it right there rather than risk that.

Luckily I didn't hate it enough to want to return it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I bought from an independent bookstore in Rhinebeck, NY. It was the only place within nearly 50 miles from where I was that had them in stock. How physical brick and mortar stores think they're going to sell items without stocking them beats me. I'm beginning to think the brick & mortar stores deserve what they get.

I went to Kobo's website, found the list, and called/emailed the nearest stores asking if they had them in stock until I found a seller that did, and then only found one that might be getting around to putting them out on the shelf next week... This was in mid-January, mind you, umpty-skittle months after introduction, so I persuaded them to get their act together as I'd be there in a couple hours!

If Kobo had a brain of any kind they'd have a deal with at least one major retailer.

Good Luck.

Last edited by TechniSol; 06-08-2013 at 10:35 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
I ordered my Glo from an independent in St. Louis called Left Bank Books. They shipped it very quickly. There was nowhere within a hundred miles of me that carried them, so I never looked anywhere but online.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
I ordered my Glo from an independent in St. Louis called Left Bank Books. They shipped it very quickly. There was nowhere within a hundred miles of me that carried them, so I never looked anywhere but online.
I lived in St. Louis for 30 years. Left Bank Books is a phenomenal independent book store. They "get" what it takes to build loyalty amongst their customers, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Have two Glos from Powell's in Portland. They have kiosks in most (maybe all) of their stores, with reasonably knowledgeable reps nearby. Last I saw they carried the Arc, Glo, and Mini, plus a few covers.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
elbell
elbell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura
i bought an aura from greenlight bookstore in brooklyn. i'm friends with one of the owners, so they put one aside for me as soon as they came in. they don't have display models for the aura unfortunately, but they do have display models for the rest of the kobo line.
elbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
We have a Mini and a Glo bought from Changing Hands, a fantastic indie-bookstore in the Phoenix, AZ area. They have a display case at the information desk with both models in it and available for anyone to walk up to and try. Made the decision easy.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on other indie bookstores to investigate for Kobo devices. I was really hoping to see and buy in person, but all this effort is making me think I should just wait and see what Sony puts out later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbell View Post
i bought an aura from greenlight bookstore in brooklyn. i'm friends with one of the owners, so they put one aside for me as soon as they came in. they don't have display models for the aura unfortunately, but they do have display models for the rest of the kobo line.

That's the first I've heard of the AURA being available from a US store, rather than Kobo. Very encouraging.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote