Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
Aiadi
Aiadi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon's Automatic Firmware Updates

Hi everyone and thanks to all for the wealth of information on these fora.

I am new to the whole kindle thing and apologies if this is mentioned before but I could not find it searching here. Is there a way to block or disable the automatic software updates for Kindle 3? The reason i am asking is that I would like to wait for reviews on the new firmware released prior to installing then in case they mess up a perfectly smooth running machine when these updates are automatically installed.
Aiadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't worry - that's why they have "previews" of the firmware releases first. They don't push them out over the air until they're sure that they are problem-free. There's no way to disable updates, that I know of, other than by keeping the 3G switched off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, actually, that scenario is exactly what happened.

They pushed out 3.01 automatically and some people had problems with it (at least I did) and they had to put out a 3.02 to fix the problems (at least it did for me).

See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=21

For the first report of the problem with 3.01 being fixed (and I'm in there somewhere later)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Aiadi
Aiadi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks Harry and Jeremy. Yes I'd rather to be able to choose myself when to upgrade the firmware but also especially if I am to start fiddling with hacks and the likes....
Aiadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiadi View Post
Thanks Harry and Jeremy. Yes I'd rather to be able to choose myself when to upgrade the firmware but also especially if I am to start fiddling with hacks and the likes....
If it eases your mind at all, automatic firmware updates will simply fail if any hack you've installed is interfering with it, and your device will continue to operate fine using the existing firmware. Most hacks are reversible so, should they cause an update to fail, and you really want that update, you can uninstall the hack -- and probably reinstall it post-update.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that my K3 hacks *don't* make official updates fail, though .

And I wouldn't recommend trying to block them that way, depending on how the update script is written, that could leave your Kindle in an half-updated state...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-23-2010 at 08:53 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

And I wouldn't recommend trying to block them that way, depending on how the update script is written, that could leave your Kindle in an half-updated state...
Of course yours don't.

And oof, really? It wouldn't run a checksum check (or whatever it uses to determine whether the files are kosher) before trying to do anything?
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
They do run a checksum check before mergin the the rootfs, but I personally wouldn't rely on that being always the case . Better safe than sorry .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
And oof, really? It wouldn't run a checksum check (or whatever it uses to determine whether the files are kosher) before trying to do anything?
You might have added files which wouldn't be checked. All of firmware files will be checked and the update will fail if they've been altered but they can't guarantee that you've not done something weird to your Kindle.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Thinking of installing your jailbreak for the screensaver hack and was wondering about this. Great to know! Thanks!
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote