Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
JDługosz
JDługosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Extra space between some lines

I obtained a LIT file and had Calibre convert to EPUB while sending to my Nook. It gives huge gaps between paragraphs and, more oddly, extra space before the last line in a paragraph so it sinks into the gap a bit.

I re-converted, choosing "nook" on Profile, and checking the box to not put in a gap between paragraphs.

But, there is still extra space before the last line in each paragraph. I installed Sigil as well, and there I can see that each paragraph is introduced with:

<p class="MsoNormal"><span class="calibre4">

How can I make this format better?

--John
JDługosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDługosz View Post
But, there is still extra space before the last line in each paragraph. I installed Sigil as well, and there I can see that each paragraph is introduced with:

The .MsoNormal and .calibre4 class are defined in the css file. Open the css file, under styles, in Sigil and see what the margins for those classes are. Adjust accordingly.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
This has happened to me a lot with files I converted to lrf and then converted to epub.
I think that I converted them to lrf and then from rtf to epub to solve this problem if I had no other input source
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
JDługosz
JDługosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The .MsoNormal and .calibre4 class are defined in the css file. Open the css file, under styles, in Sigil and see what the margins for those classes are. Adjust accordingly.
The css doesn't contain any attribute meaning "extra baseline for last line in para". Oddly enough, the problem goes away on page 72.

Code:
.MsoNormal {
    border-bottom: 0;
    border-top: 0;
    display: block;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-top: 0;
    text-align: left;
    text-autospace: none;
    text-indent: 1.5em
    }

.calibre4 {
    font-size: 0.8em
    }
I wonder if it's some layout bug in the nook reader, triggered by some specific combination of font size and whatever?

speakingtohe: what does the css look like for one of yours that works now?
JDługosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am not up on css yet.

The problem with the dropped last line only occurred for me when I changed the justification from original to left aligned (look and feel).

I found that this affects files that have been previously been converted to lrf or lit by calibre. Might be other reasons but this has been the only common factor I could spot.

.lit have the dropped line (extra space between?) at the end of each paragraph and .lrf have a much smaller font size.

Rather than take the time to figure out css which would probably have been smarter, I either converted to another format (.rtf when it would work, although some of the files would not convert to a useable .rtf (errors when viewing or trying to convert the rtf)) or went back to the original alignment)

It isn't the nook reader IMHO as the files would look the same in any viewer and on my Sony 600.

Hope this helps
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDługosz View Post
I obtained a LIT file and had Calibre convert to EPUB while sending to my Nook. It gives huge gaps between paragraphs and, more oddly, extra space before the last line in a paragraph so it sinks into the gap a bit.

I re-converted, choosing "nook" on Profile, and checking the box to not put in a gap between paragraphs.

--John
Stop illegally download eBooks from the darknet that you should not be downloading. What you have is an eBook made from a Word document, not one you bought.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stop illegally download eBooks from the darknet that you should not be downloading. What you have is an eBook made from a Word document, not one you bought.
I have lots of ebooks from Word documents that I convert that are legal. I'm not sure what the fact that it "is an eBook made from a Word document" has to do with the legality of the book

My wife runs an entire 501(c)(3) charity that has standardized on Word documents for their teaching materials. All the professors and authors submit in that format and she converts to EPUBs for members who want e-books compatible with their e-readers. They all have class="MsoNormal" code in it, similar to the code discussed here.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-23-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Wow, pretty lame JS. You made a massive assumption and then passed a massive judgement.

Thats almost as bad as the assumption and judgement that some knucklehead posted about me being a PIRATE (arrrg) because I use Calibre...or was it Sigil. Can't remember.

You should take a break from the Internets.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 07-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I find it odd that out of the 100s of thousands of books created for Microsoft's Reader that you're asserting that none of them were created using Microsoft Word.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do apologize for making the assumption I did.

But, the problem is that Word sticks in styles all over the place and gets things pretty messed up when you convert to HTML. One way to sort of fix the problem is to save the book as RTF and load it into Bookdesigner and then export that as HTML. It is a lot easier to clean up the HTML output from Bookdesigner then the HTML output from Word.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote