Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
phansen1218
phansen1218 began at the beginning.

Device: none
One more newbie needing help

I am looking to buy an ereader. I have it narrowed down to the Kindle 2 or the b&n nook. I am leaning towards the Kindle, although I do not mind waiting for the nook if it was the best for me.

The things I want to do are download books from my library (may are in mobepocket format) and put them on the reader to travel with. Buy new books. Read newspapers. Hope that more magazines become available in the future.

Any and all suggustions, comments would be great.

Thanks

phansen
phansen1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I can see a big adventage for the nook : it suppport ePub. You're less likley to have to convert everything if you want to change you reader at some point. And free to buy books from somewhere else than B&N if yopu feel like to.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The nook will not work with Mobipocket DRM from your library. But, if your library has Adobe PDF/ePub DRM then it will work with that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Go for the Kindle. It's shipping. It reads Mobipocket format (although you might need to remove DRM)

The main advantage of the nook is the fancy display under the main eInk display. I don't see that as a very big advantage. IMO it's just one more thing to go wrong. eReaders are already pretty fragile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen1218 View Post
I am looking to buy an ereader. I have it narrowed down to the Kindle 2 or the b&n nook. I am leaning towards the Kindle, although I do not mind waiting for the nook if it was the best for me.

The things I want to do are download books from my library (may are in mobepocket format) and put them on the reader to travel with. Buy new books. Read newspapers. Hope that more magazines become available in the future.

Any and all suggustions, comments would be great.

Thanks

phansen
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Go for the Kindle. It's shipping. It reads Mobipocket format (although you might need to remove DRM)
Right... if you don't want to remove DRM go with a device that supports mobipocket. Although their number is dwindling and most ebook stores are moving to ePub.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen1218 View Post
The things I want to do are download books from my library (may are in mobepocket format) and put them on the reader to travel with.
I may have mis-understood this bit of your message. I thought you meant your personal library of ebooks you've accumulated over the years.

If you meant your local lending library, then my advice is not good. Library lending of Mobipocket ebooks is almost all through overdrive, who won't accept Kindle PIDs.

Pilotbob is right - go for something that reads ePubs. I'm still not keen on the nook though. I'd be looking at the Sony PRS-300 myself, or perhaps the PocketPro
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
phansen1218
phansen1218 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replys. Yes I want to read books checked out from my library. Also be able to buy books from online sources.

Will a sony 300/505 do that? Can the library books be "converted" somehow to be read on the kindle or the nook?

My problem with the sony is getting newspapers and magazines. Although I do not mind downloading to my pc and then to the reader....

Thanks for the help. All information is good to have.

Pat
phansen1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
gilgomez
gilgomez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Phansen, check out Calibre which is a software (free download) that converts ebooks into the format necessary to support your device.

It manages your ebook library and works with Kindle devices and Sony as well as others. I am hoping they add the Nook once it is available to the programmers.

Here is a link to the Calibre demo video fyi:

http://calibre-ebook.com/demo.
gilgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Yes I want to read books checked out from my library.
Then ask your library about the format they are using, and go for wichever reader suports it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nook