Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you read ebooks from your public library?
No; library books do not interest me 3 1.99%
No; my library does not offer this service 49 32.45%
Yes; on a desktop or notebook computer 8 5.30%
Yes; on a Sony or other mobile device 81 53.64%
Other 10 6.62%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Have you read an ebook from the public library?

Just finished my first public library checkout! I had checked my library out in the past and found its selection limited, and not updated very often. Turns out they must have been taking a hiatus to upgrade formats because they now have a ton of epub---several hundred, from fiction to non-fiction and YA. I am so excited and will definitely be buying less often and keeping an eye on the library offerings.

A lot of people talk about wanting library support as a feature on their ebook reader but I am curious about how many people have actually availed themselves of this option. I am also interested in learning from those who have what the best option might be for showing the library there is a market for this and we want more. Who should I write to in my library's power structure to thank them for the expanded offerings and ask for more?

So...library ebooks...

Have you read them? Do you plan to? Comments or opinions?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes. I've been borrowing ebooks from my Overdrive library for almost 4 years. We got tons of other libraries too like NetLibrary but I hate having to be online just to read it.

And recently (about a month or so), the Singapore Overdrive Library decided to offer new ebooks in epub. Yay! I kinda hate having to read pdfs on my Sony Reader. I do find it interesting that the homepage now shows instruction on how to activate and transfer the ebooks to the Sony Reader considering that it is not sold here.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
The libraries over here don't support this service. I think the main reason would be that aside from the Kindle and the eSlick no other devices are sold over here. The cost of entry is also extremely high for most people. Hopefully when reader devices become more affordable the libraries will start offering the option, although that will take quite some time.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I would have said no except I remember DRM free PDF ebooks offered by my university.
No novels etc yet
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
<sarcasm> Libraries lend ebooks?

Ask again in 40 years...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
just never really looked into it as I already have a good decade+ worth of ebooks to read. I went nutz and bought pretty much everything Webscriptions/Baen had to offer and have been picking up on freebies and package deals as they come along.

Still, being able to read some newer novels would be nice. In all honesty I think I would pay for an annual membership for library access. I would prefer around $25/yr but maybe $50/yr if the selection is larger enough. I would love to see our local library go in the direction of that Prep School where they put in a coffee bar and lots of Kindles for use in the library. I already enjoy reading at Starbucks when I take a walk down there but would choose our muni library if there was coffee as well as web access and ebooks to access free while in the building. I say this because our library has just turned into a real slum book wise...in fact it might as well just be a video and audiobook store rather than support the 35 books still on the shelf.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Once. Just to try it out. The selection is very limited and formats are mostly PDF.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #8
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I've been checking out and downloading audiobooks from the library for years, but never bothered with ebooks until about a month or two ago when it finally hit me that I could use them on my EZ Reader (which I've had for about 6 months). Now the majority of my ebooks come from the library.

I feel very lucky to even have the option - I live in a rural area that has no library service at all - all the small towns in the area have their own little libraries, but there is no county-wide system like there is in most of the surrounding counties. Fortunately, the Seattle Public Library system has a great selection of ebooks, and offers cards to people who don't live within the city limits if they work or go to school in the city, so I was able to get one that way.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Fortunately, the Seattle Public Library system has a great selection of ebooks, and offers cards to people who don't live within the city limits if they work or go to school in the city, so I was able to get one that way.
I am also in rural WA and was under the impression that we had a state wife lending policy? that there were inter-library loans across the state?

anyway, my answer is "I plan to, just haven't yet" (maybe one of the poll fairies can put that in there)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I started using Library books as soon as my EZ-Reader Firmware supported ADE.

I check their first for the book before I buy it. This is a painless way to check out an author you have not read. I am finding that the number of e-books available is expanding, which is encouraging. I like being able to request a book and then get an e-mail it is waiting.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I am also in rural WA and was under the impression that we had a state wife lending policy?
Interesting.. you would think we would have such policies here in Tenn

Much like Ea, I have tried it from the local overdrive and it worked nicely, but their selection is limited and the website searching ability is very poor.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I am also in rural WA and was under the impression that we had a state wife lending policy? that there were inter-library loans across the state?

anyway, my answer is "I plan to, just haven't yet" (maybe one of the poll fairies can put that in there)
Your state lends wives? How progressive!!!

just kidding........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
My local library (Chicago) had a decent selection, and I can't wait to start checking out books. The reason I have not done so yet is that I can't read them on my PRS-500. I have no interest in spending the time to break DRM and convert library books. I want something I can just drag on to my Reader and use. As soon as Sony either announces the "upgrade path" or I break down and buy a 300, I'll be taking full advantage of the library offerings.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:

Nope, there's no statewide system here. A lot of the counties have reciprocal lending agreements, but they don't all include ebooks and audiobooks. And here in Skagit county we don't even have a couny-wide system so if you're in one of the unincorporated areas (most of the county) you're pretty much out of luck. You can buy a library card for one of the small local libraries (I think about $50/year) but they are all so small they don't offer downloads, so if you're looking for ebooks that doesn't help much. If you're in an area that has a reciprocal agreement (that includes downloads) with either Seattle or King County, you're in good shape - from what I've been able to tell they are both among the better libraries in the nation as far as ebook selection. King County doesn't offer ePub yet, but Overdrive shows they have purchased ePub books, so it must be coming soon!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library has lots of ebooks, and has reciprocal privileges with a lot of suburban libraries. I like to use the library for books I will never read again - I have to strip DRM to get them on my kindle (pdf and epub, which are the majority), and I delete them when I finish reading them. The selection is rather limited, though. If you like bestseller fiction and cheap romances (books that sell for under $3.50) the library has lots of those. I actually use the library much as I did before I got my kindle - go online, search for material, put a hold on it, and check it out once it is available. Only difference, there is no driving back and forth to the library, or seeing (imagining) the derisive expression on the librarian's face - I live in a very small town; the librarian knows my name, and my daughter's name (three guesses . . . )
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote