Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Atlas Hugged?

Okay, so I was thinking about a new writing assignment, something akin to Suggested Oddities but something different, and I think I have the nugget of a participatory idea.

Here's what I'm thinking:

The book will be a collection of interlinked stories, each story set in a geographically distinct location (could be your home town, or somewhere you've always wanted to go, anywhere really), then as the stories are written, the journey is taken, we follow it along a Google-Map/mashup (still working this one out). Of course, like earlier, we'll have three distinct objects/things that I must include at each stage of the journey/story.

So here it is. Pick a geographical location (be specific on a Google map please) and three things that must be part of the story. As before you'll get full credit as the inspiration, and as before, we're talking a couple of weeks at least to finish this -- this time you can follow along at the blog

I'm looking for at least 13 suggestions. Any takers?

EDIT: I'll put the places here:

1: Arched Gallery of the Mala Strana, Prague or Cafe Nouveau (a green beetle, a cup of masala chaï, a trumpette) - Zelda_Pinwheel
2: The Pinnacles, Namburg National Park (a cigar with a poison dart through it
a Giant Squid carcass, a very petite and pretty lady called "Bruce") - Montnsmagsa

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, another collaborative fiction experiment !! yay ! here is my suggestion :

place :
arched gallery of the Malá Strana, Prague :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=18&iwloc=A

photos :

(actually there's a specific photo i have in mind but i haven't found it yet, i'll keep looking)

OR

Café Nouveau, Prague (Obecní dům, náměstí Republiky 5) :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.001529&z=19

some photos :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...md_photos&sa=X

3 things :
a green beetle :

a cup of masala chaï (indian spiced tea)

a trumpette
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Pinnacles, in Nambung National Park:

Google Maps link
Images link

Three things are:
  • a cigar with a poison dart through it
  • a Giant Squid carcass
  • a very petite and pretty lady called "Bruce"

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here's a photo i took (one is never better served than by oneself, right ? )

Click image for larger version

Name:	mala_strana_prague.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	30767

and some bonus photos to get you in the mood :

Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Cool, first two locations sorted, now we only need another 11
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

can i change one of my objects ? i think instead of a cup of tea i would like a graffitti (like in those photos i posted).
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

oh, also, there is a caveat : no harm must come to the green beetle.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, also, there is a caveat : no harm must come to the green beetle.
I suppose I can't really apply the same restrictions to my second item, hey?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I suppose I can't really apply the same restrictions to my second item, hey?

Cheers,
Marc
probably too late for that, wouldn't you say ?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
probably too late for that, wouldn't you say ?
Maybe she died of old age in her sleep? I couldn't say (that's moejoe's job )

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Maybe she died of old age in her sleep? I couldn't say (that's moejoe's job )

Cheers,
Marc
let's hope that's true.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Okay I'm going to put this idea on hold for a bit as I've just found out I'll be working a crapload of night-shifts in the upcoming months. So writing has to be put on hold for awhile in favour of earning a living
Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Okay I'm going to put this idea on hold for a bit as I've just found out I'll be working a crapload of night-shifts in the upcoming months. So writing has to be put on hold for awhile in favour of earning a living
aw ! stupid material necessities.

well, i guess it gives us more time to think of suggestions, right ?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
The squid can wait, after all, she's dead. Bruce is tapping her foot, but she's young and the lesson of patience is one she probably needs to learn, or at least experience. The Pinnacles are still waiting, though probably not for you, as they've been waiting in measures of time longer than we naturally conceive.

It's all good.

We should still bump it, just to get the 13. You go do that earning-a-living thing, and everything will still be here when you get back...probably...maybe not Bruce.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
The squid can wait, after all, she's dead. Bruce is tapping her foot, but she's young and the lesson of patience is one she probably needs to learn, or at least experience. The Pinnacles are still waiting, though probably not for you, as they've been waiting in measures of time longer than we naturally conceive.

It's all good.

We should still bump it, just to get the 13. You go do that earning-a-living thing, and everything will still be here when you get back...probably...maybe not Bruce.

Cheers,
Marc
yes, that's exactly what i meant (only more eloquently put).