Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think gouni is referring to the bug that when you have selected a word and used the full dictionary, pressing the left arrow in the top left corner closed the window rather then going to the entry screen. That is broken in 2.5.0 and 2.5.1. I am quite confident that Kobo will have it fixed in the next firmware
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Is it possible to add newer dictionaries that are not in the PD? I'm not so sure I want a 1913 dictionary. I know that English is relatively stable and "horse" probably meant the same in 1913 as it does now but the language grows everyday and it would be nice to get definitions for those new words. I liked my 650 dictionary. Is there any way I can transfer that to the Kobo Aura?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #48
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
It's pretty simple to create your own dictionary.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #49
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I get the keyboard just fine. From the bottom menu, choose the book icon and then Dictionary and Define word pops up with the keyboard. Works on custom dictionary too.
Thank you.

The management of the keyboard system is different between the Aura and the Glo.

gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #50
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouni View Post
Thank you.

The management of the keyboard system is different between the Aura and the Glo.

It works for me on the Glo too. The menu option on the Glo is called Definition - select that and the keyboard pops up. Using a custom dictionary and an epub.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #51
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
It works for me on the Glo too. The menu option on the Glo is called Definition - select that and the keyboard pops up. Using a custom dictionary and an epub.
Youpi ça marche mais que c'est tordu, c'était plus simple avant.

Last edited by gouni; 05-03-2013 at 04:50 AM.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #52
DannyY
DannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheeseDannyY can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I have an Aura HD with Firmware 2.5.1 and have used the Penelope script to convert Stardict formats of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Britannica Concise and full 2nd Edition Oxford English Dictionary to Kobo and copy them across and can also confirm that they all work without power cycling.

I have set the Concise to be my English dictionary for long click word lookups and the full OED as a German dictionary.

The dictionary keyboard cannot be accessed from the long click word lookup, but I can get it from the book icon in the bottom right. Thanks for this tip, ShellShock, I hadn't worked that out before.
DannyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not a moderator, but if these are still in copyright then I am pretty sure that will be forbidden.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #54
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyY View Post
I have an Aura HD with Firmware 2.5.1 and have used the Penelope script to convert Stardict formats of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Britannica Concise and full 2nd Edition Oxford English Dictionary to Kobo and copy them across and can also confirm that they all work without power cycling....
On my Aura, after renaming the original dictionary, and replacing it with a modified/converted one (my thanks to "dimm"!), it at first didn't see it. It kept saying I didn't have an English dictionary installed. (Even after powering off and on.) It led me to "Manage Dictionaries", where I eventually got it to recognize the new one by unchecking the English dictionary, then clicking Save, then locating and checking the English dictionary again, and clicking Save again. Then it took a minute to update / load, and now I have (what is presumably) a new English dictionary. Seems to work fine.

So, if someone's replaced dictionary doesn't seem to "take" at first, you could try that.

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 05-15-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #55
ShellShock
Wizard

That may have downloaded and installed the official Kobo English dictionary, replacing the custom dictionary.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #56
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
That may have downloaded and installed the official Kobo English dictionary, replacing the custom dictionary.
Hmmm, I'd better check on that. However, I wasn't connected at the time, and WiFi was off.

I need to figure out some words that are not in the Kobo dictionary, but are in many others, so I can more easily test which dictionary I have!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #57
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Dang, I think you're right! The dictionary file in the .kobo (/dict) folder is the same size as the old one I backed up, instead of the size of the bigger one I'd put in place. Need to fool around with this some more. Maybe it doesn't like the formatting of the new dictionary. Or something...

Update: Yes, there's apparently something wrong with the converted form of the dictionary I was trying to use. When I install the Websters 1913 edition posted on page 1 of this thread, it works fine. So I need get a conversion of my (mobi) Oxford dictionary that will work on the Aura. Or someone else's already-converted version. (Fingers crossed...)

Update #2: I have since received some kind help regarding the above. Thank you community!!

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 05-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #58
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Due to the great work of other forum members it is now possible to create your own dictionaries for the Kobo Glo and Touch, for firmware 2.1.4 or later.
Thank you ShellShock. I followed your very clear instructions and it went as you said it would.

Now I have a question:

I changed to the Websters International because I looked up the word "villein" in the Kobo dictionary and it said it was lower than a "thane" and higher than a "cotter." (All of these, as you probably know, are classes of society in medieval England, and they appear in a book I am reading.) But there was no way to look up either "thane" or "cotter," so I decided to get a more comprehensive dictionary.

However the Webster's Int. does not even give the definition found in the Kobo dictionary, but instead says "See Villain." That's fair enough, and the word "villain" is underlined, as though it were a link. But when I touch it, it doesn't go anywhere.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is following a dictionary link just not doable?

I have a Kobo Glo, software 2.5.2.

Thanks,
Tom
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #59
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
Am I doing something wrong? Or is following a dictionary link just not doable?
Unfortunately, links are not supported.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #60
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Unfortunately, links are not supported.
That's what I feared, thanks. It would seem to be an automatic thing you would include if you were programming an online dictionary. Though now that I think of it, it probably does work if you used the dictionary as a stand-alone application. Just not in Kobo.

With the word "villein" I may have chosen a rare example. A few other words I have looked up in Webster's Int. since then do give more detailed definitions that does the Kobo-installed dictionary.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote