Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
I hope this is not the case and that Sony will come up with an answer to the Paperwhite relatively soon. The T2 seems like a waste to me, with not much advancement other than social media, which should have been just a firmware upgrade to the 950 and T1 (and really any other model with WiFi). I must admit, I am half tempted to buy it, but then I have a lot of books purchased from Sony that are on my reading to-do list, and I do not want to buy them again because of DMCA. If Sony did come out with a Paperwhite version today, I'd probably buy it...
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #17
SuzanneTF
Enthusiast
SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader/Kobo Aura One
Blah. I feel like if/when Sony finally offers the led light feature, everyone else is going to be offering color or larger screens.
SuzanneTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #18
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I bought the T2 since it has partial refresh which the T1 doesn't have but I still prefer tapping page turns. All in all it's a good reader but I'll be getting the Kobo Glo when it comes...
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I just saw a video for the Amazon Paperwhite. The illuminated screen is nice. It seems to me that for the first time Sony has fallen behind Amazon in technical innovation.

In the US market, I cannot see why anyone would buy a Sony. It costs more and does not have more. If you want buttons over pure touch, you would buy a Nook which also has glow. I think Sony will only do well in places where the Paperwhite and Nook are not available.

Sony needs to up its game fast if it wants to stay alive in the market. Is it too late?
Sadly, I agree. I still have fond memories of my gorgeous Sangria Red 505, and am peaceful in knowing that my sister is enjoying it. My 700 was my favorite for a long time, and I only broke down and bought a Kindle because I wanted a book that was only available on Kindle. At the time, Amzn wouldn't allow Kindle books to be purchased with out one.

When I saw the Paperwhite, I knew I had to have it, but couldn't justify it to myself, since I still own 3 ereaders and an iPad. After a few days of trying to forget the new Kindle coming out, I decided... I'm going to put my Kindle 2 and my beloved Sony PRS-700 on ebay to off set the cost of a Paperwhite.

For years we have asked Sony to upgrade the software, to offer a new 700, but they have ignored us. So, I'm moving on. However, I will keep my 650. It's red, it's gorgeous and I still love it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #20
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Since it came out, the T1 (with cover-light) was my favorite combination. However since buying the Nook Glow...I can't go back to the light!

For giggles I tried it for the first time in a few weeks last night, and frankly, now the combination seems too excessive, too bright, and uneven.

The Glow light has me completely spoiled now..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The T1 is a great device for the more advanced user. And for the user who doesn't want to be so tied to the Amazon or B&N store. And for the user who likes the shape and weight. Lighting is NOT everything. The Kindle can NOT match what the Sony does with Calibre in displaying series information in the title list. That is invaluable. (Don't have the NookGlow but I don't think it can do that either).

Did you know you can not even use the Nook without registering? I've never had to register my Sony and I use it every day.
I agree with everything you said but one thing: I think describing yourself as an advanced user is blurring reality. It implies that eventually, many, most, if not all readers will at some point do what you are doing. This is not correct, most won't. Which is why, taking into account other readers' profiles, leaves makes the Sony a minority device. And this is what Sony must change.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The sad thing is, Sony was TOO innovative in the past. You know who came out with an e-ink reader with a lighted screen? SONY! But the technology was not ready and nobody liked those screens. Then Sony was the first with IR touch, which everybody has now.

It seems like Sony released the T2 only because they are on an every-year release schedule with ereaders, not because they had any real improvements to make. And even if they did not invest in screen lighting this time around, why not put the 1024x768 screen in it, since we now know that that screen is available?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am done with SONY. So far, I have bounced between my 950 and a KT. I like the bigger screen of the 950 better, so I used that most of the time. But the difficulty of managing ebooks on SONY is really getting on my nerves. I need something that allows me to export highlights. So I am still using the Reader software. But I have had periodical problems with it and the device. Duplicated annotations, lost annotations, jumping through hoops to bypass the 140 char limit... it all can be solved, circumvented. With work.

So more and more I find myself using the Kindle. Because I go to kindle.amazon.com and just copy and paste the notes out. Real easy. And I email the documents to my kindle. Screw sync'ing, installing software that freezes, dealing with all that crap.

So last week I walked into BN. I took a look at the glow. Loved it. Decided my next reader had to have a frontlit screen. Then Amazon released the PW. I pre-ordered. If it is anything like what I expect, I will be getting rid of my SONYs once and for all. Not a day too soon, frankly. The software was an agony. If only calibre allowed for the managing of annotations, SONY might be an option.

But if SONY made a 7" reader, with a glow light, and 3g, I might consider it. Sadly, that is far from what they seem to have in mind...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I love Sony and my T1. That is still my favorite ereader hands-down! However, I like the idea of the glow screen ever since I saw it on the Nook. When Amazon came out with the Paperwhite, I was one of the first to pre-order it. I was hoping that Sony would have come out with one as well, but they decided not. I will still keep my T1 and hope that they can deliver on a glow version soon. If not, I shall move on. Loyalty is a two-way street. Sony should keep the users of their products at least even with the competition. If not, the slow drift of users away from their products will begin and it will be very tough to get them back once it starts.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am also thinking of jumping ship from sony to...well there is so much choice now, and better elsewhere. Who knows, perhaps even an ipad mini? I think sony have missed the boat, and their market share will shrink. Sad.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I must say that I'm surprised at how underwhelming the upgrade from a T1 to a T2 is. My T1 is my dedicated reader for Japanese e-books, I can purchase Japanese books directly from the reader and Sony is very diligent in upgrading their firmware.

In all sectors Sony is active in they have always emphasized innovation and that is costly, anything they release in Japan will have a me-too product within a month or two from Matsushita (you know them as National Panasonic). In essence they subsidize their competitors minimalist approach to R&D. Perhaps they have grown vary of that?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
It is not just Sony that has lost its mojo, it is the whole of Japan. Industry by industry, you can see them slowly losing out to the competition, with a few exceptions for some more nimble companies. The glory days are over, the Japanese model is outdated.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would say partially, yes. I've only had my T1 for a few months but I LOVE it. Going from a very problematic start with Kobo Touch to my T1, I wouldn't go back. As others have said, for speed, collections [with Calibre], I'm beyond happy with my T1.

Having said that, if one of the new models such as PaperWhite or KoboGlo end up being far superior for ease of use, speed, battery life, screen contrast, etc, then depending on what kind of bargain could be had, I would consider upgrading down the road.

There was a time when Sony was far superior in technology in most of their lines, ie TV's, Playstations, etc. Lately, I would definitely say overall they've lost steam.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
They botched it by not incorporating both higher resolution and a light.
Spot on. Both together would make me want to upgrade. Maybe the T3 will convince me, if there is one...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote