Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Lord of the Rings, Malazan Book of the Fallen, and The Inheritance Cycle.

"One of these things is not like the others.
One of these things just doesn't belong.
Can you tell which thing is not like the others ...
by the time I finish my song?
"

DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #47
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Based on what you've listed as some fantasy books that you really enjoy, I'd like to recommend The Jelindel Chronicles by Paul Collins. (Dragonlinks, Dragonfang, Dragonsight and Wardragon)

There's plenty of sword-fighting, ship-sailing, god-killing, magic and even some dimension-jumping. It's very action-packed.
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #48
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, this was a double-post. No idea how it happened.
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #49
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Great suggestions, these days it is difficult to find epic fantasy or sci fi writers right.....
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #50
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I think the Riftwar Saga (just the original trilogy) by Raymond Feist and the Daughter of the Empire trilogy by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts are awesome epic fantasy reads. 6 big books and an enthralling and intelligent adventure.

I'll also throw in the suggestion of the Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin. The books are short, but great.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #51
bump
bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo HD
I don't read much SciFi, but my Fantasy favorites are:

1: Lord of the Rings (J. R. R. Tolkien)

2: Good Omen (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman)
My all time favorite Funtasy book

3: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson)
I don't understand why so few recommend this series. I loved it.

4: A Song of Ice and Fire (George R. R. Martin)

5: The Hobbit (J. R. R. Tolkien)
It is totally different from LotR though it LotR follows the events of the Hobbit.
It is more of a childrens book rather than epic fantasy.
Does anyone except me have problems with how different Gandalfs character is in both books?
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Dan Simmons - Hyperion. The entire cantos.
This, for sure. Brilliant stuff. Some of my other SF favorites are Oryx & Crake and Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell, Old Man's War by John Scalzi, THe Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld, Contact by Carl Sagan.

For Fantasy: Chronicles of Prydain by lloyd Alexander and Harrry Potter are my favorite series. Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimer Bradley is awesome. I enjoyed the Hobbit but gave up on FOTR partway through. Also enjoyed Games of Thrones but gave up on the second one halfway through.

I've been meaning to check out some of the other leading adult fantasy writers of today like Scott Lynch, Terry Goodkind, Steven erikson, Trudi Canavan, Patrick Rothfuss, etc. But haven't gotten around to it yet. You know how it is, so many books, so little time

p.s. if anyone can suggest any good, literate modern fantasy writers please let me know!

Last edited by usuallee; 09-26-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: p.s.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #53
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Steven Brust's Dragaera / Taltos books are an interesting blend of science fiction and fantasy --- start w/ _Jhereg_ and read in publication order if you like the first one.

usuallee wanted ``good, literate modern fantasy writers'' --- my first suggestion there would be Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy --- the first book, _Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden_ starts off quite slow, but is worth it for the second half and the balance of the trilogy. If you're having trouble reading it, I'd suggest reading it aloud to some (mature) person you care for.

Susan Cooper's _Dark is Rising_ pentalogy is underappreciated.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #54
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Steven Brust's Dragaera / Taltos books are an interesting blend of science fiction and fantasy --- start w/ _Jhereg_ and read in publication order if you like the first one.

usuallee wanted ``good, literate modern fantasy writers'' --- my first suggestion there would be Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy --- the first book, _Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden_ starts off quite slow, but is worth it for the second half and the balance of the trilogy. If you're having trouble reading it, I'd suggest reading it aloud to some (mature) person you care for.

Susan Cooper's _Dark is Rising_ pentalogy is underappreciated.
These are very intriguing recommendations, thanks!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #55
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I just finished John Scalzi - Old Man's War. Thought it was great, easy to read and just plain good.

Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials. Was a great trilogy that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Also have to put a vote in for King's Dark Tower series.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #56
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
thanks guyz, you people gave a lot of exciting books to read over the winters...
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #57
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
For fantasy, check out Brandon Sanderson... in the top 100 NPR list (for what it's worth), and you can download Warbreaker for free from his website:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker

And for a single Sci-Fi recommendation, give Wool a shot.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #58
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the Riftwar Saga (just the original trilogy) by Raymond Feist and the Daughter of the Empire trilogy by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts are awesome epic fantasy reads. 6 big books and an enthralling and intelligent adventure.
Amen.

My list will dissolve into my favorites. Look up Hugo and Nebula award winners (and the nominated books) for more official best list.

Fantasy:
  1. LOTR (of course)
  2. The Belgariad Saga by David Eddings (not great but very enjoyable)
  3. The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel by Elizabeth Moon (a favorite)
  4. War for the Oaks: A Novel - by Emma Bull
  5. The Dresden Files - by Jim Butcher
  6. Rhapsody, Prophecy, Destiny - by Elizabeth Haydon
  7. Stranger in a Strange Land - by Robert Heinlein (get the un-edited version published after his death)
  8. The Lyra Novels - by Patrica C Wrede (Magic exists but seems to cause as many problems as it solves).
  9. The Diskworld Novels - by Terry Pratchett (comedy but good)
  10. The Thursday Next series - by Jasper Fford (Trials of a Literary Detective)

Science Fiction: (emphasis on the classics here)
  1. The Foundation Trilogy by Issac Asimov
  2. Ringworld by Arthur C Clark
  3. Dune by Frank Herbert
  4. The Man-Kzin Wars by Larry Niven
  5. The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (Buy her book "Cyroburn" and get all her other works save 1 on a CD. You WILL thank me for this).
  6. The Gate to Women's Country - by Sherri S Tepper
  7. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
  8. When Gravity Fails - by George Alex Effinger
  9. Gateway (Heechee Saga) by Frederik Pohl
  10. Dragon's Egg - by Robert L Forward
  11. Far-Seer/the Quintaglio Ascension by Robert J. Sawyer (What if Dinosaurs evolved instead of monkeys?)

You might also go to YouTube and search for "Sword and Laser" This is a SciFi & Fantasy book club where they read these books, discuss them and mention a LOT of other books.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
.....[*]Ringworld by Arthur C Clark

mmmm....Ringworld is by Niven....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote