Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Kindle and epub conversion

I'm thinking of picking up the $69 kindle. The problem is that all of my books are in (DRM-free) epub. If I use calibre to convert said epubs to mobi, how good is the conversion process? I'd just hate to have an ereader that is incompatible with my entire collection. Does anyone here have experience with such format shifting?
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've converted a large number of ePubs to MOBI, most to the older legacy MOBI format, using calibre. In general, the conversions are quite good.

Conversions to the newer MOBI format, properly called "KF8" and compatible with all of the current Kindle models, generally have even fewer issues. Calibre allows you to convert to either version.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've converted 100's of ePub's to read on the Kindle (mainly to the older Mobi format) and everything has gone fine. This is for regular fiction books so I haven't done anything with any kind of complex formatting, but if you convert to KF8 even more complex formatting should come through OK from what I've read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I do this all the time. If you convert to old mobi you may lose some not important formatting but on most books it's not a big issue and you can't really tell.

If you convert to KF8 it's pretty much looks the same. KF8 is Amazon's version of epub.

If you get one make sure to get the new black K4. It's much better than last year's with better contrast and lighter screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
nicepal
nicepal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
how about using the feature "email to your kindle"? I am sure that Amazon helps to convert over to kindle format FOC at no cost.
nicepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
epub to kindle format goes well in calibre in my experience but mobi to epub is a bit more tricky and doesn't work as well off the bat.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
epub to kindle format goes well in calibre in my experience but mobi to epub is a bit more tricky and doesn't work as well off the bat.
I convert to epub all the time from mobi. I've never had an issue. I have had issues getting the navigation on a mobi to work when converting from epub though.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-07-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepal View Post
how about using the feature "email to your kindle"? I am sure that Amazon helps to convert over to kindle format FOC at no cost.
Yes that works for non drm content but NOT for epub books. And if you are particular about how yoru document looks, you will not want to do it that way, because you can't check it first.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
I have used both Calibre and Kindle Previewer to convert from epub to mobi, and I use Kindle Previewer exclusively now. Just seems to work better.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Just downloaded the updated Kingle Previewer. Menu has changed considerably with dropdown having eInk, KF8 and Kindle for IOS
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Thanks for all the replies. Just one more question then.

It sounds like epub to mobi works well for most everyone. But what about the reverse? I'd still want to keep a DRM-free epub backup of whatever I purchase from the kindle store. Is that conversion also generally successful? And is calibre still the best method for doing said conversion?
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post

It sounds like epub to mobi works well for most everyone. But what about the reverse? I'd still want to keep a DRM-free epub backup of whatever I purchase from the kindle store. Is that conversion also generally successful? And is calibre still the best method for doing said conversion?
I use calibre and I have never noticed any problems - converting in either direction.
Then again, I am not 'too picky' with the formatting of ebooks. But no weird characters, paragraph issues, or anything of the sorts, as far as I can tell.
I have all my books on both Kindle and SONY readers - so they are all converted in one direction or the other, depending on the purchase. Never had any noticeable problems.

I am not sure whether there are other, better, pieces of software. Calibre seems good enough to me...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post

Yep I keep a epub and mobi version of all my books. I convert to epub from mobi all the time. It always turns out fine. KF8 to epub is even better because the formatting is so similar. You will find almost all Amazon Kindle books are KF8 these days. I own Kindles and Tablets with epub app so I have the best of both worlds!

There's a plugin called mobi unpack that extracts the epub from a KF8 without converting. It works great if the publisher made the Kindle book right.