Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
I finally succeeded for references to any PRS-T1 integrated font !

for exemple:
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont1;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}

Don't need to include a copy of these fonts in each ePUB !
See my previous list of filenames for fonts you can directly reference.
And now that I found this, I know that references outside of the ebook content are possible, only have to find how to reference user-visible integrated and external flash.
I can also stop trying urls that don't begin with res:/// !

My sample reference 6 of the PRS-T1 fonts without embedding them (obviously in 2.3KB) plus a failed reference to a font added to internal flash.

FYI, I already tried res:///ebook/mnt/sdcard (in the sample) and res:///ebook/sdcard as READER root, both failed, will do more tests tomorrow.
Does that work for a non-rooted T1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does that work for a non-rooted T1?
I just tried it on my non-rooted PRST1.
The res:///ebook/fonts/xxx.otf location works great for getting the internal extra fonts (Amasis, PalatinoNova etc) to work correctly. One has to wonder how Sony were able to make such a pig's ear of the extra fonts feature. Including the standard 4 @font-face statements in the css file works a treat,
e.g for Amasis:
Code:
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf)}
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic;  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal;  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf);}

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-29-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added example
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great detective work! Keep the progress going!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #34
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
WOW that's a big advance!
Thanks a lot!!!
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #35
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The res:///ebook/fonts/xxx.otf location works great for getting the internal extra fonts (Amasis, PalatinoNova etc) to work correctly.
This is sooooo excellent! Thanks jackie_w!!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #36
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
This is sooooo excellent! Thanks jackie_w!!
Well, you're most welcome, but the credit belongs to seabee.

Don't you just love the generosity of the techies in these forums who share their findings with the rest of us
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #37
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I DO! to all forum members
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #38
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Seabee, jackie_w and everyone else who shares findings! This forum is great!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 01-13-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now, my next question...

Can anyone without a rooted T1 put fonts in /system/fonts and access them from an ePub?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #40
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now, my next question...

Can anyone without a rooted T1 put fonts in /system/fonts and access them from an ePub?
No, because AFAIK, /system/fonts is a CRAMFS that are by design read-only, the filesystem must be expanded to a folder, unmounted, then the foldercontent is modified, packed back to a new CRAMFS, put back to the PRS-T1 and re-mounted and I don't think it's possible without rooting it. Sorry
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, because AFAIK, /system/fonts is a CRAMFS that are by design read-only, the filesystem must be expanded to a folder, unmounted, then the foldercontent is modified, packed back to a new CRAMFS, put back to the PRS-T1 and re-mounted and I don't think it's possible without rooting it. Sorry
Oh well. At least the fonts are accessible. You did do a good job figuring this out.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #42
ttsddu
ttsddu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thank you seabee!! Now I can read chinese ePub files without embedding font and rooting my device!! What a great news!!
ttsddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #43
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
I finally succeeded for references to any PRS-T1 integrated font !

for exemple:
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont1;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}

Don't need to include a copy of these fonts in each ePUB !
See my previous list of filenames for fonts you can directly reference.
And now that I found this, I know that references outside of the ebook content are possible, only have to find how to reference user-visible integrated and external flash.
I can also stop trying urls that don't begin with res:/// !

My sample reference 6 of the PRS-T1 fonts without embedding them (obviously in 2.3KB) plus a failed reference to a font added to internal flash.

FYI, I already tried res:///ebook/mnt/sdcard (in the sample) and res:///ebook/sdcard as READER root, both failed, will do more tests tomorrow.
I have a rooted T1. The actual memory path is /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard. So you can try res:///mnt/sdcard or res:///sdcard to see if it works.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
I have a rooted T1. The actual memory path is /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard. So you can try res:///mnt/sdcard or res:///sdcard to see if it works.
Thank you, but I tried the following paths and all failed (after adding comic.ttf at the root of reader's internal memory, as seen when connected to the PC, and also of micro-sd card, the last 3 paths "just in case").
src: url(res:////sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///mnt//sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/mnt/sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/comic.ttf);
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
nnyy
nnyy began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
Firstly, thankyou Seebee and all others for their great effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsddu View Post
Thank you seabee!! Now I can read chinese ePub files without embedding font and rooting my device!! What a great news!!
ttsddu, may I know which existing font you used for reading chinese?
nnyy is offline   Reply With Quote