Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #7921
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Twitter traffic . . .

.............Of course the above is misleading and ridiculous!

Last edited by alansplace; 01-15-2018 at 12:26 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #7922
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Review - The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher

January 5, 2017
The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher

The Aeronaut’s Windlass was the first Jim Butcher book I read, despite all the good things I had heard about the Dresden Files series. This book was recommended (and loaned) to me by my Auntie and Uncle, who have been consistent in providing me with quality reading material for a few months now. Read on for my review…HERE!

Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #7923
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
January 5, 2017
The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher

The Aeronaut’s Windlass was the first Jim Butcher book I read, despite all the good things I had heard about the Dresden Files series. This book was recommended (and loaned) to me by my Auntie and Uncle, who have been consistent in providing me with quality reading material for a few months now. Read on for my review…HERE!

It is interesting how someone can enjoy Jim Butcher even when it is an out of style genre that normally is not on that persons reading list.

For a while I thought I am simply easily entertained.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #7924
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool List of Jim Butcher's books & short stories publication dates

Jim Butcher's Series | Dresden Files | Codex Alera | Cinder Spires

Books:
Brief Cases, June 2018
Hardcover
Shadowed Souls, November 2016
Trade Size
The Aeronaut's Windlass, July 2016
The Cinder Spires
Mass Market Paperback (reprint)
The Aeronaut's Windlass, October 2015
Cinder Spires #1
Hardcover
Skin Game, March 2015
Dresden Files #15
Paperback
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: War Cry, December 2014
Hardcover
Skin Game, May 2014
Dresdan Files #15
Paperback
Cold Days, December 2012
Dresden Files #14
Hardcover
Hex Appeal, June 2012
Paperback
Ghost Story, July 2011
Dresden Files Series #13
Hardcover
Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy, July 2011
Paperback
Changes, March 2011
Dresden Files #12
Paperback (reprint)
First Lord's Fury, December 2010
Codex Alera #6
Paperback
Songs of Love and Death, November 2010
Hardcover
Side Jobs: Stories From The Dresden Files, November 2010
Hardcover
Blood Rites, July 2010
Dresden Files #6
Hardcover
Dark And Stormy Knights, July 2010
Trade Size
Changes, April 2010
Dresden Files #12
Hardcover
First Lord's Fury, December 2009
Codex Alera #6
Hardcover
Strange Brew, July 2009
Trade Size
Turn Coat, April 2009
Dresden Files #11
Hardcover
Many Bloody Returns, February 2009
Trade Size (reprint)
Mean Streets, January 2009
Trade Size
Princeps' Fury, December 2008
Codex Alera #5
Hardcover
Blood Lite, November 2008
Paperback
Small Favor, April 2008
Dresden Files #10
Hardcover
My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon, January 2008
Trade Size
Captain's Fury, December 2007
Codex Alera #4
Hardcover
Many Bloody Returns, September 2007
Hardcover
White Night, April 2007
Dresden Files Series, #9
Hardcover
Cursor's Fury, December 2006
Codex Alera #3
Hardcover
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, November 2006
Trade Size
Dead Beat, May 2006
Dresden File #7
Paperback (reprint)
Proven Guilty, May 2006
Dresden Files #8
Hardcover
Academ's Fury, July 2005
Book 2 in The Codex Alera
Hardcover
Furies Of Calderon, July 2005
Codex Alera #1
Paperback
Blood Rites, August 2004
Dresden File #6
Paperback
Death Masks, August 2003
Dresden File #5
Paperback
Summer Knight, September 2002
Dresden File #4
Paperback
Grave Peril, September 2001
Dresden File #3
Paperback (reprint)
Fool Moon, January 2001
Dresden File #2
Paperback (reprint)
Storm Front, April 2000
Dresden File #1
Paperback

Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #7925
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool A bibliography of Jim's books, latest releases, covers, descriptions and availability

........Check out this webpage!

Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #7926
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Found this book recomended by Jim from my previous post

Check out the great price on the Kindle version!

Last edited by alansplace; 01-27-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #7927
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool More on Black Magic Woman

Well since Jim recommended Black Magic Woman so highly and the Kindle price was so enticing I grabbed up a copy and have gotten 25% into it. It, so far, has been quite interesting and enjoyable, So I just did a bit of research on it and found that it is the first book in a 6 book series (see below).

Last edited by alansplace; 01-28-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #7928
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool More on Black Magic Woman & Evil Ways

I recommend Black Magic Woman highly.

I picked up the 2nd book in the series, Evil Ways, and in chapters 7 and 8 I came upon the following! I'm now 38% into Evil Ways. I guess that I should just go ahead and recommend the series!

Quote:
Jim Butcher was generous enough to allow Quincey and Libby to hang out at a certain pub frequented by Chicago’s premier wizard-for-hire. (from Acknowledgements)
Quote:
Morris pointed at the pub across the street where they were supposed to meet Harry the Wizard. “We’ll go there.”
There were concrete steps leading down from the street into the pub. As Morris and Libby made their way inside, carrying their luggage, the few patrons at the tables looked up incuriously then went back to what they had been doing—eating, drinking, talking, or all three.
As they approached the bar, Libby said softly, “My Goddess, Quincey, what is this place?”
“Apart from the obvious, you mean?”
‘Look at the layout—thirteen windows, thirteen pillars,
thirteen tables.”
Morris turned from signaling the bartender and scanned the room. “Hmm. Interesting decorating scheme.”
“And the arrangement of those tables is designed to disrupt any magical energy that might be released in here.”
“Yeah, Harry told me once that this place is sort of neutral territory for the city’s occult crowd. No magic of any kind allowed on the premises. Kind of like Las Vegas used to be for the Mob.”
Behind them, a polite voice said, “Help you folks?”
The bartender was a tall, lean man of indeterminate age; he might have been an old forty or a young sixty. He had a wise look, as if he had seen everything at least twice, and was incapable of being surprised by anything.
“For starters, I think we could use us a drink,” Morris said. “Libby?”
Libby Chastain turned from her examination of the room and said, “Double vodka, straight up, please. Ice cold, if you’ve got it.”
Morris said, “And I’ll have a bourbon and branch water.”
The bartender looked at him. “Sorry? What water?”
“I forgot, that’s what they call it back home. Bourbon and soda, please. Double. And is there someplace we can put our luggage?”
“On any of the empty tables is fine,” the bartender said and went to make their drinks.
A minute later, he set their libations down in front of them. “Looks like you folks had some trouble out there,” he said, with a head gesture toward the street.
“Did you see it?” Morris asked.
“Saw enough.”
“Then you know we were the victims. Or would-be victims, anyway.”
“Yeah, that seemed pretty clear. It was also clear that this lady has one heck of an interesting taste in luggage.”
The bartender extended his hand. “I’m Mac. I own the place.”
Morris and Libby each shook hands, then Morris said, “We came in here for a couple of reasons. One was, we’re expectin’ to meet a fella here. As for the other reason—truth is, we really can’t afford to be dragged into a big police investigation. It might give whoever sent those guys out there another crack at us.”
Mac nodded. They had all heard the sirens draw closer and closer, and then stop. “They’ll have detectives canvassing the area soon, asking if anybody saw anything. You figure anybody noticed you folks coming in here?”
Morris and Libby looked at each other. “I don’t think so,” Libby said. “There weren’t a lot of people around, and I threw together a cloaking spell as we were crossing the street. Um, what I mean is—”
Mac gave her a smile. ‘You don’t need to explain, Miss Chastain. I know what a cloaking spell is. Heck, everybody in here would know, if you asked them.”
Libby glanced back at the half-dozen customers. “Yes, I expect they would.”
“Tell you what,” Mac said. “Why don’t you give me your bags, and I’ll stash them in the back room. You might want to visit the restrooms, clean up a little before the detectives get here. Then you can sit down at a table, have another drink, maybe something to eat, and relax, just like you’ve been here for the past half hour. Which you have.”
Libby glanced at the other patrons again. “But what about—”
“Nobody here saw anything, that happened in the street, Miss Chastain, and nobody noticed exactly when you folks came in. You can take my word on that.”
Morris nodded. “Appreciate that,” he said. “But I have to wonder why you’re willing to lie to the law for a couple of perfect strangers.”
“You’re friends of Harry’s, aren’t you? He described you pretty good, Mister Morris, and said you’d have a lady with you.”
“Where is Harry anyway?” Morris asked.
“He left, about an hour and a half ago. Asked me to give you this.”
Mac produced a plain white envelope with “Quincey Morris” written on the front. Morris tore it open and quickly read the single sheet that was inside. “Damn!”
Libby said softly, “Uh, Quincey, you might want to avoid using words like that in here. You never know who, or what, you might conjure up by accident.”
“Yeah, you’re right. Sorry.”
“I take it the news isn’t too good.”
“Not so’s you’d notice, no. Harry had to leave—not just leave here, but leave town. He said some urgent business came up for the Council, whatever that is, and he had no choice but to go off and attend to it.”

“Well… darn,” Libby said, catching herself at the last moment.
................................................Minimally edited for brevity.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-01-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #7929
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I recommend Black Magic Woman highly.

I picked up the 2nd book in the series, Evil Ways, and in chapters 7 and 8 I came upon the following! I'm now 38% into Evil Ways. I guess that I should just go ahead and recommend the series!

Well, darn. Mac talks a lot. He must be on a shorter leash with Harry, so that Harry won't have such a hard time understanding. Yeah, that's it.

I guess have to get that series then? Maybe get them for my birthday ...

But gotta ask - is it possible to explain the magic system in Black Magic Woman as part of the Dresden Files? In theory at least. From what I gather it is vastly different, but a lot can be explained away with using things for a different reason.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #7930
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool More on Black Magic Woman & Evil Ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Well, darn. Mac talks a lot. He must be on a shorter leash with Harry, so that Harry won't have such a hard time understanding. Yeah, that's it.

I guess have to get that series then? Maybe get them for my birthday ...

But gotta ask - is it possible to explain the magic system in Black Magic Woman as part of the Dresden Files? In theory at least. From what I gather it is vastly different, but a lot can be explained away with using things for a different reason.
It's more like the stories (that I've read so far) are mostly about facets of magic that Harry hasn't dealt with very much.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #7931
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool DFCO Goes Mobile and Superstars Appearance Canceled

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #7932
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool J. R. R. Tolkien vs George R. R. Martin. Epic Rap Battles of History. Season 5

Hilarious!

I wonder who Jim Butcher should RAP against?

Last edited by alansplace; 02-07-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #7933
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Deleted

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 02-17-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Delete
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #7934
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Check out this discussion on Reddit

Check out this discussion on Reddit

Old 02-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #7935
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher, One of the Authors From Ambermush - The New York Times

Jim Butcher, One of the Authors From Ambermush - The New York Times
..................................See the article HERE!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy