Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Database Problems still persist in 1.9.10

I added 3 new (sideload, drm free) epubs just now (drag/drop w/explorer), and after disconnecting from my computer and "processing content" there was only ONE random book showing.

Prior to this I had 98 drm free sideloaded epubs plus 6 kepubs. So after adding the 3 there should be 101/6.

I plugged back into my computer, and sure enough, all 101 of my sideloads were there. I copied them off to my harddrive using explorer, and deleted them from the Kobo, then disconnected and there was nothing showing now.

I powered off and back on, and still nothing showing.

I used wifi sync, and it went through the motions of downloading my 6 kepubs, but after it downloaded them, there is still nothing showing. I powered off and back on several times and nothing shows. However, every time I use wifi sync, it downloads the damned books but never shows anything.

I tried adding back a sideload epub via drag/drop, and nothing shows up.

COME ON KOBO - WTF!!!

All you did when you supposedly "fixed" the storage error is removed the damned message. The problem is apparently still there with the bloody fragile database, only now it doesn't tell me anything anymore.

I mean, really, did you not read the messages about making this BULLETPROOF???

Now I have to factory reset this piece of shat yet again, and now I'm past my 30 day return period so I'm stuck with it.

This is just pathetic. You guys should give up now if you can't get a simple file system and database programmed correctly!!!

The Real Joe

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 09-15-2011 at 08:15 PM.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you at least opened a support ticket with Kobo? Just because some people DO come here from Kobo does not mean that this problem is entered into their problem management systems.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I used to have similar problems when side-loading sometimes, and I always thought it was a quirk with a book's filename or something (lots of spaces, funny ascii chars etc). I've started using Calibre to do my loading and I've never had a problem since.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Just happened to me (for the first time, I might add). I have been sideloading books for forever - I think this happened because I tried to sideload a book I opened from the Kobo store using ADE. Factory reset worked, but I just wasted an hour trying a bunch of stuff before I gave up and did the reset....what a pain!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you at least opened a support ticket with Kobo? Just because some people DO come here from Kobo does not mean that this problem is entered into their problem management systems.
No, I haven't, and I don't plan too. You can flame me for that if you want, but the point I'm trying to make is that for something so fundamental as the file system and database getting corrupted - I SHOULDN"T HAVE TO!!!

This is a simple $130 device that is intended for one thing only, reading books, *reliably*. It's not a tablet or a full blown computer that's being taxed to do many complicated things.

I have several MP3 players in the same price range that similarly do one thing only - play music. And *not one* of these devices has *ever* had its file system or database corrupted to the point that it loses everything and requires a reset. It just wouldn't be accepted, but for some reason, Kobo thinks this is OK for their piece of shat ereader.

This is just bloody ridiculous. And people shouldn't have to file support tickets for a fundamental major failure like this.

Kobo should recall *ALL* of the devices, figure out what they're doing, fix it, and then start selling ebook readers.

Not the other way around, frustrating people who paid good money by making them act as guinea pigs while they learn how to program file systems and databases that every other manufacturer learned years ago.

Simple as that.

The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Joe; all vendors need customers to report issues. There is NO way at all for test cases by a vendor to replicate EVERY single possibility of usage.

Look at Operating Systems; Application Programs; ANY piece of code! There are issues in the majority of them! (Yes... I *DO* say majority and not ALL).

There is a well known case of an IBM utility from years ago, that did nothing. It was created to allow a batch job on their mainframes to force the Job Control Language (JCL) to perform dataset allocations. This utility was initially a SINGLE line of code.
Code:
BR R14
to return to whatever called it.

Guess what! There was a BUG even this!

It had to be
Code:
LA R15,0
BR R14
to ensure that a 0 return code was issued.

Seriously Joe; I doubt you and I will *EVER* have access to a bug free piece of software. Help other users and open a support ticket!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Not even the software on the space shuttle was bug free, although it was reportedly the cleanest piece of code in existence.

I think one of the worst software bugs I ever heard of was in a piece of medical equipment that was designed to deliver a dose of radiation to cancer patients. Due to one errant line of code, the machine put out 10 times the dose of radiation it was supposed to and actually killed some patients.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I would have to agree with the Real Joe. Why bother logging a ticket? They are aware of the issue - they just haven't fixed it! Is it going to help them to know that ther are 500 people having the issue instead of 100? Probably not. Might get it escalated, but that's doubtful, too. They just want you to keep buying the newer machines - they don't want to bother fixing the older ones.

All I have to say is that THANK GOODNESS the factory reset works! Feels good to fix my own problems! Especially since it would save hours of frustration in having to deal with Kobo support!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I would have to agree with the Real Joe. Why bother logging a ticket? They are aware of the issue - they just haven't fixed it! Is it going to help them to know that ther are 500 people having the issue instead of 100? Probably not. Might get it escalated, but that's doubtful, too. They just want you to keep buying the newer machines - they don't want to bother fixing the older ones.

All I have to say is that THANK GOODNESS the factory reset works! Feels good to fix my own problems! Especially since it would save hours of frustration in having to deal with Kobo support!
Thing is, if you can't be bothered to open a ticket, then you shouldn't be expected to bother about a fix. It's the sad fact of SW development...

All this does is send the wrong message...
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
they just haven't fixed it! Is it going to help them to know that ther are 500 people having the issue instead of 100?
I work in software development and there is this quaint concept of priority, since you can't address everything simultaneously. If I have 10,000 users and 3 of them have an obscure problem, I'll look in to it at some point. If I have 10,000 users and 300 of them have that same problem, I'll look in to it immediately with a few of the team as well.

So, yes, it can make a great deal of difference if many people complain about the same bug. It gives you an idea of the scope of the problem.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote