Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like/dislike line spaces in ebooks?
Line spaces make it more enjoyable to read an ebook 13 44.83%
I dislike line spaces, but will read the ebook anyway 16 55.17%
I will not read an ebook that have line spaces 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do you like your format?

Do you prefer your paragraphs to have line separation between them like most palm formatted books or do you like your paragraphs to not have the line space?

If you chose no line space,would you like to have the formatters bother to remove them whenever possible?

I don't care for the line spaces and using Word, it's very easy to remove the line spaces in a text file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
While I like line spaces -- old habits die hard -- another thread about the same topic seemed to end with the majority favoring no additional space between paragraphs.

I have tried, for the most part, to make the Harvard Classics series conform to this standard. For my own use only I still insert the extra line between paragraphs.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It depends on the device.

On a device with a small screen (Palm/Pocket PC) I prefer unindented paragraphs with a blank line between them.

On a larger screen (eg Sony Reader) I prefer paragraphs with an indented first line and no blank lines between paragraphs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm with HarrtT... either way works for me.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I liked the "unindented with lines between the paragraphs" for the Palm too, I found that with the smaller screen I needed the extra visual cue. The Reader doesn't, not for me anyway, and I really have no intention of going back to reading on my Palm.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
What about following the "Type Setting" standard of after a paragraph (hard return) that instead of the normal spacing between lines it is increased by 1/2. This is what is what the new style guides define as proper when using all electronic publication devises and word processors. All newspapers and printed books (yes I mean those antiquated devises) currently use.

This convention makes indented or non indented paragraphs very easy to identify and read. The use of an additional blank line after a paragraph is on old typewriter convention that should have disappeared years ago.

If we are going to be using modern devises lets do it properly if at all possible.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
For me it only depends on the width of the page. If the page is pretty wide, my eyes will tend to wander from a line to the other. Having a space will help to stay focused on a particular line with more ease.

I believe this to be one of the factors why multiple columns were used in wide format printing. If everything was printed the whole width, they'd have had to put spacing lines. With multiple columns they did'nt and were able to cram more text on a page. And since printing was difficult and expensive...

The reader is not wide enough to justify the need for an extra line other than esthetics.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
If we are going to be using modern devises lets do it properly if at all possible.
The thing is that all these conventions are arbitrary ones based on what works best for people, so there will always be folks for whom a different way works better. This is one of those things where "most popular" is a better label than "proper" will ever be, regardless of nice it would be if there were a clear right answer.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm used to paperback books and on those, there's no blank lines between the paragraphs. Instead of this, the paragraphs are idented.

That's what we're using on Feedbooks.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What about following the "Type Setting" standard of after a paragraph (hard return) that instead of the normal spacing between lines it is increased by 1/2. This is what is what the new style guides define as proper when using all electronic publication devises and word processors. All newspapers and printed books (yes I mean those antiquated devises) currently use.

This convention makes indented or non indented paragraphs very easy to identify and read. The use of an additional blank line after a paragraph is on old typewriter convention that should have disappeared years ago.

I'm looking at a fairly recent paperback book and there are not 1/2 line spaces between the paragraphs. In fact, I've not see any books that do that. Besides, as long as you indent each paragraph, then there is no need for any extra space between the paragraphs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
OK so going to the references was a bad idea again but I still think that adding an additional 1/2 line would be be a good solution/compromise so that non indented paragraphs and indented paragraphs would work equally well.

I like this compromise. Maybe it is because I am a Canadian and therefore I am genetically programmed to compromise.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #12
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I prefer indented paragraphs as well. Blank lines between paragraphs are disorienting (I am not used to them). Because they inflate the number of pages, then it's more difficult for me to calculate how much time I am going to need to read something. Well, not a big deal, but still...
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have voted for the first option but I am not sure I have choosen the right one. It would be nice if someone could post one example for each option. full soony reader screen pic.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I like this compromise. Maybe it is because I am a Canadian and therefore I am genetically programmed to compromise.
No way around it eh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I like a half-line between paragraphs. I can go either way with indentation.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote