Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
drawltx
drawltx began at the beginning.

Device: nook
"Not Responding" after I plug in my nook

I think I have upgraded to nook firmware 1.5 and Calibre 0.7.35 since my last sync. Calibre recognizes my nook when I plug it in, but if i try to do any navigation in Calibre I get a "Not Responding" in the window title bar. If I wait 60-90 seconds Calibre returns to life and performs the action that I had requested. A next request causes the "Not Responding" message to reappear and the software locks up for another 60-90 seconds. I can eventually get a book transferred to the nook, but it takes several minutes. Any suggestions of what I might have going on? Running Win7, 32 bit.

Thanks,
drawltx
drawltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
check your antivirus settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
ChuckG
ChuckG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am seeing the exact same issue, except with a Kindle 3. I maintain my Calibre library on a NAS device, and an earlier thread mentioned that the 'on device' field for each e-book was updated each time the Kindle was attached or an e-book transferred. It seems the network overhead may cause the 'Not Responding' issue as Calibre is updating each e-book.

Does any of this match your configuration?
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
drawltx

My libraries are also on a NAS device. The problem does not happen just when I first connect my nook, though. It persists as long as I have the nook attached. Even if I don't transfer any files to the nook, I still get the "not responding" issue. I can convert formats, I can edit metadata without issue.

With regards to antivirus settings, I'm not sure which ones might be causing issues so I turned the whole thing off. The behavior was unchanged. I turned off the Windows Firewall and the behavior was unchanged.

I don't transfer that many books, so if a solution doesn't present itself, I'll just put up with the long waits.

Thanks,
drawltx
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
ChuckG
ChuckG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I moved my library to my local machine to eliminate the NAS as the problem. Everything worked fine after doing that, so having the library on the NAS definitely causes this issue.

I saw some posts about having the library in one location and the database in a different location. I might try this next, but it requires setting some environmental variables since it can't be done through the configuration dialog.
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Look for the portable.bat file in the Resources sub-folder of the Calibre install location. That should show how to do what you want.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
drawltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Look for the portable.bat file in the Resources sub-folder of the Calibre install location. That should show how to do what you want.
itimpi -

Thanks! I took a quick look and it seems to be what I need. I will give it a try this weekend and post my results. I appreciate the direction.

drawltx
Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
drawltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawltx View Post
itimpi -

Thanks! I took a quick look and it seems to be what I need. I will give it a try this weekend and post my results. I appreciate the direction.

drawltx
Took a closer look and it doesn't look like this will support multiple libraries. It looks like calibre looks for the file metadata.db for the library in the library. As I understand it, the batch file is telling it to look in a specific directory (local) for the metadata file. This works as long as there is a single library - but multiple libraries on the network can't share the same metadata.db file in the local directory.

Interestingly, I think my libraries have been on the network for a long time and I am just now seeing the long wait times.

Not sure which direction I will head next. I'm really trying to use my network to store data - music/photos/books - so that I can get to it from whatever device I happen to be hooking in with - so I'm hesitant to move the libraries to a single machine. Thanks for the assistance, though.

Thanks,
Dick
Old 12-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
why don't you use the calibre content server
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote