Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #91
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have another fonts question. As I mentioned earlier, when I changed fonts from the default Helvetica, I was unable to go back to it. It was no longer listed in the drop-down font select menu. When I look in DKSystem/system/fonts, it is empty. Is Duokan using linkfonts/fonts from Kindle? Maybe the Helvetica font does not appear in the drop down menu because it is limited to 0 - 9, and there are more fonts than that in my fonts folder. If I copy a new font into DKSystem/system/fonts, it would not appear on the drop-down font select folder, would it?

Edit: I just looked again in DKSystem/system/font, and there is a DAT file named FontFileLIst.dat, which, when I open it, has HelveticaNeue LT 65 medium (the font that I like), followed by NULNULNULNUL, and so forth. If I delete the NULs would I get the font back?

Last edited by montalex; 11-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@montalex: It might not exactly play nice with my Fonts hack. No idea .

Try disabling the fonts hack, maybe? (remove/rename the linkfonts/auto file, and restart).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #93
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
I heard you can change the brightness level of regular MOBI files in Duokan, is this true?
I haven't yet noticed a brightness setting, but in the Aa menu you can select from 6 levels of black for type. That means from kind of grey to bold black.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #94
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Try disabling the fonts hack, maybe? (remove/rename the linkfonts/auto file, and restart).
I love the fonts hack! I'm not anxious to mess it up. But you say that I can just temporarily rename the auto file, and I could change it back afterwards?

Last edited by montalex; 11-07-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #95
montalex
Fanatic

O.K. why is the applied [ Update_DK_k2i.bin ] file in my linkfonts folder? Don't these bin updates usually disappear once applied?
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@montalex: Yep, it'll just be disabled, until you restore the file.

@montalex: That's because of the 'update trap' feature of the hacks (and the fact the the DK files aren't whitelisted). You can delete it. [I'll fix that in the next update].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #97
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

That worked, NiLuJe. Now my drop-down font select menu gives me a different list of fonts -- the ones that are in the linkfonts/fonts folder in Kindle. But now, if I go back to Kindle, I won't have my nice font, will I?

Thanks.

Edit. Actually, I am back in Kindle, and nothing changed. I still have the default fonts hack font -- I don't even know what it is, actually -- a simple wide serif font -- very paper book like.

Thanks again.

Last edited by montalex; 11-07-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #98
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@montalex: No, you won't .
Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #99
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Last question before I install this, how do I exit/restart the Duokan Firmware to switch to Kindle 3's original firmware?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #100
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Last question before I install this, how do I exit/restart the Duokan Firmware to switch to Kindle 3's original firmware?
You can either restart and hit #2 (for Kindle 2) or W (for Kindle 3) when the boot screen appears (you have to really watch for it as it isn't there long.

Or, there's a better way. Under menu/settings in Duokan, there is a boot to Kindle choice (I'm not in Duokan at this moment, so I don't remember the exact wording, but it is obvious). Even in Chinese, like with the boot screen, you'll see KINDLE in English.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #101
SunLight
Connoisseur

Well, how do you restart within Duokan, that's my main question?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #102
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Well, how do you restart within Duokan, that's my main question?
Wait for the flash screen after doing a restart ( home/menu/settings/menu/restart ).

Then hit #1 (Kindle 2) or Q (Kindle 3) to boot into Duokan
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #103
SunLight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Wait for the flash screen after doing a restart ( home/menu/settings/menu/restart ).

Then hit #1 (Kindle 2) or Q (Kindle 3) to boot into Duokan
So "home/menu/settings/menu/restart " is available within Duokan like the regular Kindle 3's firmware - meaning you restart the Duokan firmware the same way you restart the Kindle 3 firmware?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #104
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
So "home/menu/settings/menu/restart " is available within Duokan like the regular Kindle 3's firmware - meaning you restart the Duokan firmware the same way you restart the Kindle 3 firmware?
No. It is not the same. Under menu/settings in Duokan, there is a boot to Kindle choice (I'm not in Duokan at this moment, so I don't remember the exact wording, but it is obvious). Even in Chinese, like with the boot screen, you'll see KINDLE in English. Then there are settings for reboot to Duokan, and, I think, default boot to Duokan. If you have gotten far enough to have your setting menu in English, you are fine.

Otherwise, you have to hold the on/off slide switch for about 20 seconds to do hard reboot. Then watch for the Duokan boot screen, though I think that, unless you have changed settings in Duokan, it will default to Kindle.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #105
SunLight
Connoisseur

Thanks, thats great!