Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
cfp
Member Retired
cfp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Smile A few suggestions

Hello everyone!

I'm posting here a list of suggestion that I would really love to see implemented. I'm not saying that those are good ideas or anything ; just that it's the things I think of when using Calibre.

1. When syncing a book to a device, wouldn't it be nice to have the progress report display in the little cell next to the book name, rather than in the jobs windows. This would use the empty space that exists near to the book name when it is not on the device yet.

2. Could we have an option to use Ctrl+Action for shortcuts? I feel uncomfortable with the current shortcuts...

3. Would it be possible to have a sync mode, with which the library is mirrored onto the device?

4. Could the enter key open ebooks for visualization, in the same way as the enter key opens pdf/html/word for visualization in explorer/nautilus/etc. ?

5. Wouldn't it be better if the reset quick search button was hidden when no search is active?

6. What about having an "advanced search" button rather than an explanatory text in the search box on how to make an advanced search?

7. Could the donation button be moved to the right (maybe?) on the bar? I find it disturbing also that in blinks when hovered, but that's only me I guess.

8. Wouldn't it be cool to have the library/device display as tabs rather than buttons?

9. Would it be possible to use the icons from the Tango icons set? If not, what about
9.1 Using a newspapers icon for the news sources (we could have the same with an update sign for the update toolbar button.
9.2 Using a program icon (window icon for example) for the editors filter
9.3 Using a .doc/.epub/.any icon for the formats filter and so on?

10. What is the little question button in the window frame in the categories dialog? When clicked, it simply shows a forbidden sign whichever control you hover.

11. It might be only me, but I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that in the settings dialog for example, the categories buttons are huge and have large spacing, while the buttons in settings dialogs are all tiny...

12. I find the "save search" button quite confusing, I though a floppy was the default for the save action...

13. For the save search feature, we could perhaps have just a save button, and then an input asking for a name under which to save the search? Then the saved search list could be made a simple dropdown, and not a combo-box?

14. Would it be possible to reduce the memory footprint of all those worker threads?

15. Could there be a default subitem for items in the context menu? I keep clicking on those items and then feeling stupid because it's not doing anything...

16. On the edit metadata box, could there possibly be a text to indicate that there are different values for the selected books? As in mp3tag for example, where there are two special items added to the combo box when values differ for a fiels, < Keep >, and < Clear >. I find those very convenient

17. The delete key (at least for me, on windows 7) seems to delete the contents of a tag fiels, not delete the book. Is this normal?

Thanks!
cfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Too much work for too little gain. Patches are welcome.

2. Happy to implement this if you can come up with a list of Ctrl based shortcuts that dont conflict with existing shortcuts on one of the platforms calibre runs on. Alternatively, provide lists of shortcuts for windows/os x/linux

3. No. Syncing is not something that will ever work well. There are various reasons for this, that I'm not going to go into here.

4. Not worth the effort for me. Patches are welcome.

5. Also not worth the effort to me.

6. If you mean in the toolbar, absolutely not.

7. No.

8. No, takes up too much space, which is particularly critical on netbooks where calibre is used.

9. You want to change calibre icons, provide a complete set of icons, to replace the existing ones that are actually better than the existing ones.

10. No idea what you're talking about

11. It's only you

12. Feel free to provide a floppy icon that matches the rest of the toolbar icon.

13. This one I'm not going to comment on since chaley is responsible for that piece of the UI

14. No. And you should stop using top to estimate memory usage. It's meaningless.

15. This is a limitation of Qt. If you can figure out a workaround, I'll be happy to implement it.

16. There could, though it will actually take the form of the fields with common values being pre-filled. Already a ticket for this and it is on my TODO list. If you want it done faster, roll up your sleeves.

17. I don't see this on windows 7
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should amend my response to 3 a little.

Specifically, two way syncing will never work well. Probably at some point in the future, I will implement the ability to automatically have new books transferred to the reader (optionally) and optionaly have calibre delete old news from the reader.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp View Post
1. When syncing a book to a device, wouldn't it be nice to have the progress report display in the little cell next to the book name, rather than in the jobs windows. This would use the empty space that exists near to the book name when it is not on the device yet.
It would be nice. I hope when Kovid moves from function to beautification that he recalls this idea. But nothing in the forum is an actual request. To make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks between now and then, submit an enhancement request. Please be detailed, a mock-up image helps break through any confusion the the written word might induce.

Quote:
2. Could we have an option to use Ctrl+Action for shortcuts? I feel uncomfortable with the current shortcuts...
I don't see the need but since you do your best bet is the following. One submit a actual enhancement request. Two, run calibre from source and see if you can figure out out these changes might be implemented and submit the needed code with your request.

Quote:
3. Would it be possible to have a sync mode, with which the library is mirrored onto the device?
I believe a ticket has been submitted for this. With all of the reader configurations this most likely will be limited.

Quote:
4. Could the enter key open ebooks for visualization, in the same way as the enter key opens pdf/html/word for visualization in explorer/nautilus/etc. ?
I went forever never actually pressing enter while in explorer. Now that I know it works I'll probably not do it again for a while. Seems like a reasonable request, submit a ticket.

Quote:
5. Wouldn't it be better if the reset quick search button was hidden when no search is active?
No, but I admit ignorance in this area. Submit a ticket.

Quote:
6. What about having an "advanced search" button rather than an explanatory text in the search box on how to make an advanced search?
What's wrong with the advanced search button we have now?

Quote:
7. Could the donation button be moved to the right (maybe?) on the bar? I find it disturbing also that in blinks when hovered, but that's only me I guess.
Where it resides is of little concern, but you can turn off animation in the preferences.

Quote:
8. Wouldn't it be cool to have the library/device display as tabs rather than buttons?
No. Six of one half a dozen of the other but not cool one way or the other.

Quote:
9. Would it be possible to use the icons from the Tango icons set? If not, what about
9.1 Using a newspapers icon for the news sources (we could have the same with an update sign for the update toolbar button.
9.2 Using a program icon (window icon for example) for the editors filter
9.3 Using a .doc/.epub/.any icon for the formats filter and so on?
Anything is possible.

Quote:
10. What is the little question button in the window frame in the categories dialog? When clicked, it simply shows a forbidden sign whichever control you hover.
Getting a little snarky now aren't you? When I found it I laughed out loud. This is obviously a not yet implemented help button. Asking this question is not a suggestion, it's just petty.

Quote:
11. It might be only me, but I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that in the settings dialog for example, the categories buttons are huge and have large spacing, while the buttons in settings dialogs are all tiny...
You stumped me, I have no idea what you're referring to.

Quote:
12. I find the "save search" button quite confusing, I though a floppy was the default for the save action...
What's a floppy? How does this floppy relate to searches?

Quote:
13. For the save search feature, we could perhaps have just a save button, and then an input asking for a name under which to save the search? Then the saved search list could be made a simple dropdown, and not a combo-box?
Interesting, submit a ticket.

Quote:
14. Would it be possible to reduce the memory footprint of all those worker threads?
Would it be possible is a non question. The answer is virtually always YES. Anything IS possible. Of course if it bothers you, you can always choose fewer worker threads in the preferences - advanced area.

Quote:
15. Could there be a default subitem for items in the context menu? I keep clicking on those items and then feeling stupid because it's not doing anything...
Does the submenu not extend automatically before you can click on the unclickable? Feeling stupid, humbles us all, it's a good thing.

Quote:
16. On the edit metadata box, could there possibly be a text to indicate that there are different values for the selected books? As in mp3tag for example, where there are two special items added to the combo box when values differ for a fiels, < Keep >, and < Clear >. I find those very convenient
I'm not experienced with this, but it sounds useful. Submit a ticket.

Quote:
17. The delete key (at least for me, on windows 7) seems to delete the contents of a tag fiels, not delete the book. Is this normal?
No it's not normal. On my 32 bit WinXP machine the file is deleted.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
10. No idea what you're talking about
If you select "Manage user categories" the pop up windows has a big question mark. Hovering over it the tooltip says "help" but it isn't implemented yet.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont see this question mark, can you post a screenshot?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In Windows, the icon for "Save" is usually a floppy disk image. Searching is a secondary function for a database and the floppy icon usually applies to a primary function. Calibre uses a Hard Drive image for its Save to Disk icon.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp

Getting a little snarky now aren't you? When I found it I laughed out loud. This is obviously a not yet implemented help button. Asking this question is not a suggestion, it's just petty.

In what way is this snarky? It seems to be a reasonable question to me. If I clicked a seemingly clickable button and received the forbidden sign, I'd be also be curious. Please keep in mind what seems obvious to you may not be so to a new user (especially if computer challenged like me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp

A floppy is what I do after getting home from a long trip. All seriousness aside, this is the "what is the appropriate icon" issue going on in a couple of other threads. Granted, the 3 1/2" floppy has gone the way of the nickel phone call, but since the old 3 1/2" "floppy" (even the name "floppy" is a carryover from the old 8 1/4" disks that actually were floppy) has been used in Windows to indicate a save to disk function for umpteen years, it's natural for Windows users to continue to make that association in programs other than Microsnot's. The problem here is using a floppy icon to indicate saved searches could be confused with the save function elsewhere (such as the save to disk at the top of the screen) unless it is somehow contained to the search function (mayhap contain all of the search functions in a box instead of merely in a line only). I feel that the question is valid but also feel it is a cosmetic issue that can keep until Kovid is satisfied that calibre has reached its final form (which means I probably won't live to see it I am an old lady, you know).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
See the attached image. It's the question mark in the windows title section - the context help button for dialogs. (Qt::WindowContextHelpButtonHint)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	categories.png
Views:	328
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	55543  
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Certainly not by default. My library will not fit on my device, and I would be very unhappy if calibre deleted books explicit action from me. I have considered adding a 'make my device look like this selection' or perhaps 'make my device look like this yes/no column', but it the idea hasn't risen above the waterline yet, and likely won't.
Quote:
No, at least for me. I don't like buttons to come and go, or to move around.
Quote:
The Qt toolkit adds it to the title bar by default (Nasty Qt! Bad Qt! Stop that!). It is in all the dialogs. I have removed it from the ones that I did, but there are many more.
Quote:
I am not interested in making this change, but you are welcome to do so.
Quote:
I assume that you are talking about the bulk edit dialog? I don't have a need for <keep>, but <clear> would be useful. The text-multiple custom columns already have something equivalent (a check box), but the non-multiple columns do not. Note that for non-multiple columns, if all the books have the same value, that value is displayed. Text-multiple don't do that. With some amount of work they could, but it isn't something I find interesting.
Quote:
No. Doesn't do that for me on Win7/32 Pro.

A lot of what gets added to calibre come from people who want some particular functionality. There isn't much incentive for us-who-volunteer to add things that we won't use or that aren't interesting simply because it presents an interesting challenge (like cloud storage of libraries). The best way for you to get what you want is to do it yourself and submit it to Kovid for inclusion.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
With regard to #16, I'm not sure if he's talking about the same problem I am having, but there's definitely an issue with the yes/no/undefined checkboxes and the metadata editor. If a field is set to "undefined" in the bulk editor, its yes/no status is unchanged; if it's set to "undefined" in the individual editor, it yes/no status is cleared. The inconsistency is a problem, as is the inability to clear yes/no status in bulk. I would suggest a fourth option be added to the menu in the bulk editor: "ignore", which would function as "undefined" does now, so that "undefined" could function as it does in the individual editor.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah the context help. Now I get it. Yeah Qt puts it in by default, really not worth hunting down every single dialog and turning it off by hand
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I would suggest a fourth option be added to the menu in the bulk editor: "ignore", which would function as "undefined" does now, so that "undefined" could function as it does in the individual editor.
A good idea, but one that would require a rather large rewrite. The current code uses tri-state booleans, which by definition means that one of the states must be coopted to mean 'don't change this'. As you point out, that coopted state is 'undefined'. Fixing this requires changing to a quad-value text box, adding what the OP called <keep> as the fourth option. Not impossible, but not totally trivial either.

This one is worth making into a ticket so it isn't forgotten.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
See attached.

Updated: I see this was already answered, That's what I get for sleeping during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	question_mark.png
Views:	291
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	55549  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
I find it funny that you would rather waste Kovid's time with beutification projects than fuction projects, and also wasting his time responding to your specific preferences on this forum. The program works quite well on my netbook, btw.

[sarcasm] I'm sure there is a professional, expensive program that would meet your needs very well[/sarcasm]
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, gui, ideas, suggestions