Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
Newcomer's thoughts about writing calibre plugins

Hello,

Here are a recollection of thoughts I had while developing a calibre plugin. I hope it doesn't sound like an endless flow of complaints~, and apologize if it reads like so.

• As an end user, you don't quite realize how large the software is. You give more appreciation to Kovid's work over the years when you realize the volume and relative complexity of the ensemble
  • I felt it lacked a bit of guidance, especially at the beginning. (Something that looks like good practice: Wordpress developer handbook) There are the 3 manual articles linked in the plugins sticky, and then you're on your own. At this point a good grepping tool is a must. Questions that popped up include:
  • what's a spine item vs a manifest item?
  • there are primitives and boss methods that seem to clash, e.g. rewind_savepoint vs self.boss.revert_requested; add_file vs. self.boss.do_add_file. Since the developer can import anything, which is the 'correct' one?
  • lxml is a pain (especially: the docs & working with namespaces), but alternatives are probably worse
  • print testing is a PITA, especially if you need to inspect a collection of an object. Wasn't aware of the ipython method, ugh that would have helped a ton.
  • calibre's built-in reporting dialogs saved a lot of time
  • would have loved to learn how to unit-test plugin components. Are you supposed to mock the whole framework (calibre)?
  • I use the github hosting to provide zips for release, unfortunately for us, calibre only supports zip with __init__.py at the top level of the archive (also reported in another thread). Would it be possible to support zips with a single folder at top-level at some point in the future? without having to register at launchpad if possible.
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Certainly plugin writing could use more tutorials -- unfortunately I am not the person to write them, as I am too familiar with the codebase, so I cannot put myself in a plugin developers shoes -- contributions are welcome.

As for what the external API of the Boss class is, it is documented here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/pol...book.boss.Boss
which is linked to from the tutorial on writing editor plugins.

You can run any python script you like in the full calibre environment using calibre-debug file.py
which can be used for unit testing your plugins.

I'm not particularly inclined to make the plugin loading code more complex/slower just to support github's inability to create top-level zip files. As far as distributing plugins using github is concerned, I suggest you simply distribute them as source, a user installing a plugin from source simply has to run (to install plugin)

git clone https://.../whatever && calibre-customize -b whatever

and to update plugin
cd whatever && git pull && calibre-customize -b .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert