Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The factory default format for MS Word has been DOCX since Office 2007.
It is indeed. I'm still running Office 2007 on my laptop and, as you say, the default file format is DOCX. I've not come across a DOC file in years; this is a plug-in that few people will still require, I suspect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #62
mobilemax
mobilemax is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I seem to have an issue with Wordconv.exe, it worked once and then even if I run it manually it won't convert anything and there is no output, not errors and the plugin ends with an error most likely because it cannot find the converted file to continue.

I've found more people struggling with this issue - is there any fix/resolution for that problem?
mobilemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemax View Post
I seem to have an issue with Wordconv.exe, it worked once and then even if I run it manually it won't convert anything and there is no output, not errors and the plugin ends with an error most likely because it cannot find the converted file to continue.

I've found more people struggling with this issue - is there any fix/resolution for that problem?
Solution is to save a .docx and use Calibre to convert the .docx file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #64
mobilemax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Solution is to save a .docx and use Calibre to convert the .docx file.
Yes, that's a solution for individual files. Not for 500 .doc files since that is then a very annoying process where I was hoping to get the help of the plugin.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemax View Post
Yes, that's a solution for individual files. Not for 500 .doc files since that is then a very annoying process where I was hoping to get the help of the plugin.
have you tried rebooting? Have you looked at what's running at system startup since the last time you ran this plugin? Have you tried safe mode?
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #66
mobilemax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
have you tried rebooting? Have you looked at what's running at system startup since the last time you ran this plugin? Have you tried safe mode?
I've tried all the following:
- calibre restart
- clean calibre installation
- reboot
- different versions of wordconv.exe (2007, 2016)
- task manager to see if there may be a stuck process

It seems that there is no clear explanation as to why the wordconv does not do anything at all.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you tried booting into safe mode?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #68
mobilemax

Found the problem. Most of the files that I've got had wrong names and had an extension of .doc instead of .docx therefore the plugin could not convert those for a good reason. The one file that worked was a correct .doc file which worked fine.

I've now fixed the file names and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #69
Hlsg
Hlsg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Anybody have any luck with getting a portable or atleast independent from office version of Wordconv? All the links in this thread are now dead.

Thank you!
Hlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #70
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The last time (a few years ago), I used Open Office (writer) to do conversions.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #71
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Now I recomande LibreOffice (the development of OpenOffice has almost stopped since for a few year)
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #72
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlsg View Post
Anybody have any luck with getting a portable or atleast independent from office version of Wordconv? All the links in this thread are now dead.

Thank you!
Forget this plugin. Since Kovid wrote the built-in DOCX Input module, it has been easier to do the conversion from .DOC to .DOCX as a separate task, and then add the resultant DOCX to calibre.

Assuming you don't have access to Word 2007 or later: search the web for 'convert .doc to docx'. There are several online converters, and some installable utilities.

There are several ways to convert DOCX to EPUB, via calibre conversion, via the calibre editor, via the Mammoth utility, or via Sigil using its DOCX Import plugin (which is a wrapper around Mammoth).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #73
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
And if You prefer LibreOffice has a bulk conversion wizard in odt format from doc format, and then You can use calibre to convert in epub, or, if the number of documents is not too great, You can export in epub with LibreOffice itself (You can use the main program and almost two extensions).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #74
Protopia
Protopia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
I have Office 2013 installed - and it fails because it looks in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ rather than Office15 where it is actually located.

I wouldn't imagine it is too difficult for this plugin to try to locate the WordConv.exe executable rather than assuming where it is located.

Office also comes in 64-bit versions, and some users might install it somewhere else - so perhaps the plugin needs first to use the registry to find the Office installation location and then to search through directories to find the executable.
Protopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #75
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Protopia - save your file as DOCX and convert that, no plugin needed because DOCX Input function is built into the calibre base. And it does a much better job than this plugin ever did.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote