Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Not sure what karma is or how it works but Kovid can certain have mine! I am embarrassed to tell that I just recently got around to actually working with Calibre (having downloaded it since the first version) and I have to say I was jaw-dropping amazed...literally. The last time I recall being so impressed was how many years ago (30? 40?) when my boss drug a mag card II into the office along with an IBM person to teach me how to use it!

I'm also green-eyed w/envy of such incredible talent/expertise/knowledge in a field so arcane to me.

Thx for the reminder to put some bucks in the development kitty. In fact, I am going to do it right now so I don't forget.
d
Charlie.......see that little "karma" button at the bottom of peoples post? If you click on Kovid's or anyone elses, (everyone has one) a little box will pop up with the amount of Karma you are allowed to give. Your karma points available increases with the number of posts you make. You can give the whole amount, or type in whatever amount you choose.

People give Karma for different reasons.....I like to give it when someone says something I especially agree with, or when they've simply made me smile.......I believe Karma was designed to reward those who uploaded books.....but it has become so much more.

Thanks for taking part, and enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'll happily give Kovid karma, even if I can't use the 0.6 version on my computer (for some obscure reason). The earlier version is still happily in use and has converted many, many books for me!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I just started using Calibre -- I recently acquired an iPod Touch and decided it was time to organize my mess of ebooks in all kinds of wacky formats into a nice set of ePub volumes that I could load into Stanza. What a great program!

I just sent in my donation.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'll happily give Kovid karma, even if I can't use the 0.6 version on my computer (for some obscure reason). The earlier version is still happily in use and has converted many, many books for me!
Have you already asked Kovid about this? He''s pretty helpful.......
Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you already asked Kovid about this? He''s pretty helpful.......
Oh, yeah, I asked.

Response: "Huh. Weird."

I take that to mean it's something to do with a setting on my system.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes! Excellent point DGM! Thank you Kovid!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am not using Calibre. At all. I use BD. However, I suggested it to all new Sony Reader converts in real life. Because I believe it is an excellent tool unless you are control freak like me. Also it amazes me how somebody can spend so much of their personal time for free for people they don't know at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Also it amazes me how somebody can spend so much of their personal time for free for people they don't know at all.
Programming is a sort of art. Giving your program for free and receiving feedback from people who appreciate your effort must be very satisfying.

I use a lot of free software, for personal and work purposes. Each time one piece of free soft makes my life easier, I feel deeply grateful for whoever wrote that program. I hope some day I can contribute with something.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Programming is a sort of art. Giving your program for free and receiving feedback from people who appreciate your effort must be very satisfying.
It is
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #40
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Using graph states for quantum computation and communication
GULP! I'm going to stick to reading Ebooks! - Thanks Kovid

roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Using graph states for quantum computation and communication
Is it available in ePub?

(Only half-joking-- it sounds interesting. Is the "quantum" referring to Heisenberg effects, or discrete data?)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Is it available in ePub?

(Only half-joking-- it sounds interesting. Is the "quantum" referring to Heisenberg effects, or discrete data?)
Only PDF I'm afraid The quantum is referring to quantum mechanics. i.e. a computer driven by the laws of quantum rather than classical physics. Turns out to be significantly more powerful. For example, using a classical computer to search through a collection of N unsorted entries,will take, on average N/2 queries, whereas with a quantum computer it can be done in the square root of N. For very large N this can be a huge speedup.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Only PDF I'm afraid The quantum is referring to quantum mechanics. i.e. a computer driven by the laws of quantum rather than classical physics. Turns out to be significantly more powerful. For example, using a classical computer to search through a collection of N unsorted entries,will take, on average N/2 queries, whereas with a quantum computer it can be done in the square root of N. For very large N this can be a huge speedup.
You see, THIS is what I mean. The man is speaking Greek to me.

Yet he designed a program I understand, can use, and does what I want it to....easily.

KARMA FOR KOVID!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #44
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You see, THIS is what I mean. The man is speaking Greek to me.

Yet he designed a program I understand, can use, and does what I want it to....easily.

KARMA FOR KOVID!!!

I hope I understood it but not sure at all
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
There's a story in there somewhere...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote