Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
anki
Connoisseur
anki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD | KSM9 | KoReader | Plato
Koreader RSS Feed plugin or another option?

Hello Guys,

I am really missing on my Kobo Startmenu/Koreader the RSS Feed function. When i have this then i'am complete to use only the koreader instead of Nickel sometimes.

Are there any option RSS Feed to read some news or download on startmenu/koreader?
anki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a "News (RSS/Atom) downloader" function in KOReader. It places HTML files of the feeds in a "./news/" folder. There is an issue open at github to have it generate epub files. KOReader can, of course, read HTML files.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:46 AM   #3
anki
Connoisseur
anki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There is a "News (RSS/Atom) downloader" function in KOReader. It places HTML files of the feeds in a "./news/" folder. There is an issue open at github to have it generate epub files. KOReader can, of course, read HTML files.

Luck;
Ken
I have look at that but how can i install it on the koreader? There is no easy manual of that plugin.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by anki View Post
I have look at that but how can i install it on the koreader? There is no easy manual of that plugin.
Plugins come along automatically when you install Koreader. They are in the menu under the crossed tools icon in the file manager view.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right now, the "Settings" item, in the "News (RSS/Atom) downloader" menu, is just a message box telling the user the file to edit to configure the plugin. There are comments within the file that will help you do that.

KOReader has always been constructed (like most programs) with a "Core" and; widgets, modules, apps, and plugins. They are for the most part how the code is organized within the program. They also were/are developed separate from the core to add features and improve things. (Some of them even had their start in discussions here at MR) The "Plugins" are built in the project at Github, and become a part of it there. They are not outside programs that the user adds to their KOReader installation on their device.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-25-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
anki
Connoisseur

I can never find the News (RSS/Atom) downloader on KoReader file manager. Can you please tell me exactly the location?

My another question is when i found this how can i put my rss link to it to download it via atom downloader?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I can never find the News (RSS/Atom) downloader on KoReader file manager. Can you please tell me exactly the location?

My another question is when i found this how can i put my rss link to it to download it via atom downloader?
It is under the crossed screwdriver/wrench icon. The "settings" menu item tells you the file to edit and that the file includes instructions and an example. I would suggest using Notepad++ to read and edit the file.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; You need a relatively recent nightly build.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-03-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
anki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is under the crossed screwdriver/wrench icon. The "settings" menu item tells you the file to edit and that the file includes instructions and an example. I would suggest using Notepad++ to read and edit the file.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; You need a relatively recent nightly build.
I did use the al the time the stable version of KOReader and it was very old. So i have installed the new Nightly Builds and i have successfully setup the atom reader.

The problem is when i download the rss feeds i see the whole page with links of that news. So i must scroll to page 8 to read the news. Any solution about this?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What's the feed address? The news downloader is somewhat rudimentary but manageable with some little tricks.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
anki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
What's the feed address? The news downloader is somewhat rudimentary but manageable with some little tricks.
It is this adres: http://www.nu.nl/rss/Algemeen
Old 09-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually it occurs to me that there's no option to "download feed text only" iirc.

So that option will need to be added first, but then you could use full text extraction from http://ftr.fivefilters.org/makefullt...Algemeen&max=3

(basically right now it does a poorer version of that)

Do you have a GitHub account to create a FR (feature request)?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
anki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Actually it occurs to me that there's no option to "download feed text only" iirc.

So that option will need to be added first, but then you could use full text extraction from http://ftr.fivefilters.org/makefullt...Algemeen&max=3

(basically right now it does a poorer version of that)

Do you have a GitHub account to create a FR (feature request)?
Thank you for that. I have paste that to the config. When i click on news downloader it says to me waiting but nothing happens. I have coped the full link also created some new rss feed from that website but no luck.

I have no github account. i did see something about that html downloading on the website of github but i have no idea if it is solved or not.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
anki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you for that. I have paste that to the config. When i click on news downloader it says to me waiting but nothing happens. I have coped the full link also created some new rss feed from that website but no luck.

I have no github account. i did see something about that html downloading on the website of github but i have no idea if it is solved or not.
The link you have sent to me have some characters is that maybe a problem? it have characters "%" instead a point or wherever.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard

I created https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3172 to track it
Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
anki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you so much Frenzie. This should be very helpful if it is solved. So then i don't need to start nickel anymore to check the news.